3B or not 3B

ttf_Radar

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Radar »

I currently have a very nice older 3B that is in really good condition.  My dilemma is whether or not I should sell it.  My main interest right now lies in Bass Bone, Tuba, and Euphonium (I use a large mouthpiece on Euph which is about a Bach 2 Rim size), I rarely find myself playing lead or even 2nd for that matter, and I could easily do most of the tenor playing I currently do on my 88H.  I've really never been much of a high note player, and I'm really thinking about focusing mostly on Bass Bone and Tuba (I like Euphonium, but I've been playing the standard Euph. repertoire for band so long that I'm really not all that challenged or interested in playing it anymore).  I could use the money I would get from selling the 3B but I'm not in dire financial straits, and I do think it's a little bit of a waste having a horn sitting around taking up space that I'm not playing regularly.  That being said it is a really nice example of an older Eastlake 3B with very little playing time, I'm afraid if I sell it I might regret it.  So talk to me, do you think I should hold onto it, or should I bite the bullet and list it for sale.   
ttf_vegasbound

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

As soon as you sell it...the llaw of karma will dictate you get offered a great well paying gig where you needed it!
ttf_Geezerhorn

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Kinda in the same dilemma here. I find myself gravitating towards larger equipment. I don't know where it might lead me. But I am not going to sell any of my smaller horns until I absolutely must. I believe well-cared for quality vintage horns will continue to hold their value. So if I don't sell them, my widow or heirs can.

A good-playing, I say good-playing vintage 3B is not as easy of a find as one might think. So if you sell it, you might be hard-pressed to replace it some day.

Mount it up on your wall for now as a trophy and honk on with your current infatuation. Time will tell...

...Geezer
ttf_Malec Heermans

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

I would hold on to it. Even if you rarely play it, you will miss having it around. And it is a GREAT middle of the road instrument for anything jazz/commercial related should you ever find yourself needing or wanting a horn that can do that.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

If you want to play bigger equipment,  put an Alessi 1A small shank mouthpiece into your 3B. It will play HUGE.
ttf_Steve Frank

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Steve Frank »

My 3B was bought new in 1974.
It was put away in 1985.
It reappeared again 3 years ago.
I have a number of other horns small & large bore.
BUT I AM SOOOOOOOO GLAD I KEPT THE 3B! Image Image

ttf_Burgerbob

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: vegasbound on Jan 08, 2018, 11:58AMAs soon as you sell it...the llaw of karma will dictate you get offered a great well paying gig where you needed it!

Yup!

If you really want, sell the 3B and buy a Yamaha 354 or something to have a cheaper option.

I try to always have a small horn on hand, and I end up needing it pretty often!
ttf_Malec Heermans

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jan 08, 2018, 12:23PMIf you want to play bigger equipment,  put an Alessi 1A small shank mouthpiece into your 3B. It will play HUGE.

Keep the horn, ignore this advice.  Image
ttf_ssking2b

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Keep it. The new 3B can't hold a candle to even a merely decent older one.  It may be a long time, if ever, before Kings play like Kings again!
ttf_MikeBMiller

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: ssking2b on Jan 08, 2018, 01:22PMKeep it. The new 3B can't hold a candle to even a merely decent older one.  It may be a long time, if ever, before Kings play like Kings again!

The one I bought about 3 years ago is great.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Brer Cottonmouth »

If you have no dire need to sell it, don’t. If you let this fine instrument go, you’ll likely be lamenting it on the “Ones that Got Away” thread in a couple of years.
ttf_Radar

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Radar »

Thanks everyone, I think you've convinced me that I should hold onto it.  I'm trying to pair down the amount of stuff in my life, but I think you've all convinced me this is one of the things I should keep. 

ttf_Steve Frank

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Steve Frank »

Quote from: Radar on Jan 09, 2018, 03:53PM
Thanks everyone, .........you've convinced me that I should hold onto it.

I'm trying to pair down the amount of stuff in my life,

but.........you've all convinced me this is one of the things I should keep.

Image Image 

ttf_Remo

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Remo »

Quote from: Radar on Jan 09, 2018, 03:53PMThanks everyone, I think you've convinced me that I should hold onto it.  I'm trying to pair down the amount of stuff in my life, but I think you've all convinced me this is one of the things I should keep. 

Yeah, I'd say so!  My 3B is way down on the list of what I'll sell, only recently bumped up by my medium bore Yamaha. 
ttf_ssking2b

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jan 08, 2018, 02:41PMThe one I bought about 3 years ago is great.

Production moved to Elkheart in late 2015, early 2016.  At the 2016 it's convention not only did the horns not play like Kings anymore, the rep had no clue about them...but he was all up on his Bach horns. If yours is good enjoy it. You'll be disappointed in what passes for a king bone now.
ttf_Bach42T

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: ssking2b on Jan 10, 2018, 02:33PMProduction moved to Elkheart in late 2015, early 2016.  At the 2016 it's convention not only did the horns not play like Kings anymore, the rep had no clue about them...but he was all up on his Bach horns. If yours is good enjoy it. You'll be disappointed in what passes for a king bone now.

I just acquired a new King 2B Plus in December.  To clarify, it's made in Eastlake but assembled in Elkhart.  It's a phenomenal horn. 
ttf_ssking2b

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

I didn’t say they were bad horns...I said they didn’t play like old kings anymore. And that is the blow and sound I grew up with, so I am disappointed. I have a silver plated 2B from 1952, and a custom made straight bore silversonic with large bell throat from 1967 that was made for Kai Winding. IMHO none of the kings made now are even in the league with these 2 horns.
ttf_Bach42T

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: ssking2b on Jan 12, 2018, 03:55AMI didn’t say they were bad horns...I said they didn’t play like old kings anymore. And that is the blow and sound I grew up with, so I am disappointed. I have a silver plated 2B from 1952, and a custom made straight bore silversonic with large bell throat from 1967 that was made for Kai Winding. IMHO none of the kings made now are even in the league with these 2 horns.

Well it plays well, due to other issues I just had to part with it. 
ttf_Bach42T

3B or not 3B

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: ssking2b on Jan 12, 2018, 03:55AMI didn’t say they were bad horns...I said they didn’t play like old kings anymore. And that is the blow and sound I grew up with, so I am disappointed. I have a silver plated 2B from 1952, and a custom made straight bore silversonic with large bell throat from 1967 that was made for Kai Winding. IMHO none of the kings made now are even in the league with these 2 horns.

Well it plays well, due to other issues I just had to part with it. 

Return to “Instruments”