Yamaha Allegro, professional horn?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Do you guys think that the Yamaha Allegro/ YSL-548GOAL is a professional horn? It has most of the specifications of a professional horn, such as a .547 bore, yet most sites consider it an intermediate horn. Tell me what you guys think.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Probably a good horn, and probably well made, but marketed for the intermediate market. This means some lesser quality materials and streamlined for faster, cheaper production.

I'm not sure, but the Allegro series may also be made in China. Maybe that's Advantage series...
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A professional horn is one you play and make money with.  I know someone who played a major tour on a Bundy.

Horns marked as "Professional" are usually (and I use that word advisedly) made to allow the player to "tweak" the horn to get a wider variety of sounds.  That's not to say a particular "student" model couldn't be used the same way.

If you can play it well enough, an Allegro will be fine unless you plan to audition for a major symphony orchestra (at which time you will need to find the horn that provides the sound they are looking for).
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: joe.mackall on Yesterday at 06:24 PMDo you guys think that the Yamaha Allegro/ YSL-548GOAL is a professional horn? It has most of the specifications of a professional horn, such as a .547 bore, yet most sites consider it an intermediate horn. Tell me what you guys think.

.547 is not really a "professional horn" spec. There are/has pretty much always been large bore intermediate horns, as well as small bore professional horns.

Yamaha's basic instrument classification is 100-200 models are student models, 300 are student/intermediate depending on instrument type, 400 are intermediate, 500 intermediate/step-up pro, 600 pro, 800 high end/Xeno/Custom, 900 Xeno Artist (trumpets) and other top of the line instruments (like solid gold flutes). The Allegro line is in the 500 model range across the board. It is basically a high-end intermediate or entry-level pro line featuring some specs from (and sometimes parts in common with) the pro lines while still having some cheaper parts to reduce costs. It is also offered exclusively through select authorized dealers, as far as I know, so you won't find it at online discount stores.

That being said, Yamaha instruments are typically very well made. I have a friend who went through college and part of grad school on a Yamaha 446 and did a few professional auditions including a final round. It is not even a large bore instrument (.525). Also I'm pretty sure Christian Lindberg recorded a few of his early CDs on a Yamaha 448, an "intermediate" instrument. Goes to show if you're good and you play well and the instrument is good quality and doesn't fight back against you, it doesn't really matter whether it's marketed as "professional" or not. Also that size doesn't matter as much as a lot of people would like to believe.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: joe.mackall on Yesterday at 06:24 PMDo you guys think that the Yamaha Allegro/ YSL-548GOAL is a professional horn? It has most of the specifications of a professional horn, such as a .547 bore, yet most sites consider it an intermediate horn. Tell me what you guys think.

.547 is not really a "professional horn" spec. There are/has pretty much always been large bore intermediate horns, as well as small bore professional horns.

Yamaha's basic instrument classification is 100-200 models are student models, 300 are student/intermediate depending on instrument type, 400 are intermediate, 500 intermediate/step-up pro, 600 pro, 800 high end/Xeno/Custom, 900 Xeno Artist (trumpets) and other top of the line instruments (like solid gold flutes). The Allegro line is in the 500 model range across the board. It is basically a high-end intermediate or entry-level pro line featuring some specs from (and sometimes parts in common with) the pro lines while still having some cheaper parts to reduce costs. It is also offered exclusively through select authorized dealers, as far as I know, so you won't find it at online discount stores.

That being said, Yamaha instruments are typically very well made. I have a friend who went through college and part of grad school on a Yamaha 446 and did a few professional auditions including a final round. It is not even a large bore instrument (.525). Also I'm pretty sure Christian Lindberg recorded a few of his early CDs on a Yamaha 448, an "intermediate" instrument. Goes to show if you're good and you play well and the instrument is good quality and doesn't fight back against you, it doesn't really matter whether it's marketed as "professional" or not. Also that size doesn't matter as much as a lot of people would like to believe.

Return to “Instruments”