Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A little too rich for my blood... Image
ttf_greenbean

Bach 30

Post by ttf_greenbean »

ttf_Dukesboneman

Bach 30

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-New-York-Bach-30-Stradivarius-trombone-Very-rare-only-2-in-existence-/222546245864?hash=item33d0ca38e8:g:~2AAAOSwbopZQYtp

I`ve played this horn and it plays like a dream.
I`m Guessing (and only guessing) that it`s a strange daul bore like a .516/522 beceause of the way it felt and played, could be a .508/.525
Beautiful dark sound and plays really open.
I`m not the seller, but want to let the trombone world here know about this
ttf_oslide

Bach 30

Post by ttf_oslide »

I guess this is a type of bell which was adopted from another model - not a bell specifically developed for this model. What might it be?

ttf_mr.deacon

Bach 30

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: oslide on Jun 14, 2017, 03:42PMI guess this is a type of bell which was adopted from another model - not a bell specifically developed for this model. What might it be?

At 8" my guess would be that it is a 36 bell. Which would make sense as to why Bach would give this horn a 3X model number and not a 1X or single digit designation.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Bach 30

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: greenbean on Jun 14, 2017, 02:40PMThis price is right on because this seller has a special pricing scheme:  Market value x 2.5

bass trumpet: I hope the $125 shipping plus insurance will cover the costs of replacing it, if lost or destroyed. Because that seems expensive otherwise. I just had a tuba shipped, for right around $100, to me in Georgia from New Mexico and a soprano trombone from Quebec with insurance, express, for less than $50.

Bach 30

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Jun 14, 2017, 03:06PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-New-York-Bach-30-Stradivarius-trombone-Very-rare-only-2-in-existence-/222546245864?hash=item33d0ca38e8:g:~2AAAOSwbopZQYtp

I`ve played this horn and it plays like a dream.

Quote from: oslide on Jun 14, 2017, 03:42PMI guess this is a type of bell which was adopted from another model - not a bell specifically developed for this model. What might it be?

Is that a gold brass bell or just where the lacquer has darkened?

Bach 30

I'd buy it if I had the cash (and my wife would let me).

Another thread is going about this one as well.
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,100537.msg1198610/topicseen.html#msg1198610

Maybe the moderators will merge them.

Bach 30

There's another thread going about this one as well.
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,100536.0.html

Maybe the moderators will merge them.
ttf_daveyboy37

Bach 30

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on Jun 14, 2017, 05:14PMIs that a gold brass bell or just where the lacquer has darkened?
Looking at the picture of the slide end bow, the slide tubes appear to be gold brass. The end bow is much lighter in color. Comparing the tuning slide color, brace color, and gooseneck color with the bell also makes it look like a gold brass bell.

This is a custom horn, and in the Mt Vernon days you could get what you want. In the past there have been Mt Vernon 36s with gold brass slide outers.

It's a pity that the Bach of today isn't nearly as accommodating
ttf_Bimmerman

Bach 30

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

I wonder if that's how oddballs like my MtV 9 came about-- it is a duo bore and has very reddish gold brass slide tubes with no oversleeves.

I really wonder what the specs on this horn would be, but not $3500 curious. If it's .508/.525, that's a setup I'd love to try playing.
ttf_elmsandr

Bach 30

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jun 14, 2017, 04:49PMAt 8" my guess would be that it is a 36 bell. Which would make sense as to why Bach would give this horn a 3X model number and not a 1X or single digit designation.
We could learn this from the shop card.  I wouldn't guess which mandrel at all, I cannot remember.  I know there was a discussion of models 30/32/and 40 a while back.

As for what the models are numbered, they had been just the order of release, but with trombones they were also somewhat arranged with respect to size (with some notable exceptions).

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_NBee

Bach 30

Post by ttf_NBee »

I am curious about something on this horn. The New York period of Bach ended in 1953 when they moved to the Mt. Vernon shop. The serial number puts the horn around 1945, but the warranty is dated for 1958? Am I overthinking this or are dates not adding up?
ttf_elmsandr

Bach 30

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: NBee on Jun 19, 2017, 08:48AMI am curious about something on this horn. The New York period of Bach ended in 1953 when they moved to the Mt. Vernon shop. The serial number puts the horn around 1945, but the warranty is dated for 1958? Am I overthinking this or are dates not adding up?
You may be surprised to learn that a lot of those early Bach's went back and forth to the shop.  The shop card could show this as sold several different times and/or pieces being replaced.  I would not put too much worry into that without looking at the shop card for this actual horn.  It will have the build date and sale date on it.  Of the 19 shop cards I have handy on my hard drive, about 2/3rds of them show more than one sale.  The time frame here seems a little long, but It wouldn't really surprise me for an odd model.  It may have been altered quite a bit to get it to sell.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_RJMason

Bach 30

Post by ttf_RJMason »

Well I put in an offer of $2000 for the horn and he accepted so I will let you all know how it plays. I hope the bell tenon works for a 36 so I can use my nickel slide as well...I've been dying for a New York Bach horn and a straight bell section at that...I have an addiction!

-RJM
ttf_Bach42BOS

Bach 30

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

That is a damn good deal if you ask me. Image
ttf_elmsandr

Bach 30

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: RJMason on Jun 19, 2017, 11:22AMWell I put in an offer of $2000 for the horn and he accepted so I will let you all know how it plays. I hope the bell tenon works for a 36 so I can use my nickel slide as well...I've been dying for a New York Bach horn and a straight bell section at that...I have an addiction!

-RJM
That would seem to be pretty fair for condition and rarity.  Seeing as how I would guess that Drew (above) and I were a big chunk of the market for this, you might be in the right place!

I want to see the shop card to know what the tuning slide and bell taper are.  I'm interested to see if this is the same flare as the 36, the 34 or something else.

Good luck, and let me know if you sell.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_RJMason

Bach 30

Post by ttf_RJMason »

For anyone still curious, I finally brought the horn to Josh Landress in NYC for inspection and measurements. I used the horn on a recording session and it sounded amazing. Round, resonant, and could get quite loud.

The slide is gold brass tubes .512/.522 dual Bore, so weirder than I thought.

The bell is gold brass, 8 inches, but the bell throat is quite big--it must have been an 8 inch bell spun on a Bach 45 or 50 bell mandrel, its bigger than a 42.

The slide is the same width as an elkhart 36. It's surprisingly light--maybe lightweight gold brass tubes.

I play tested it against a Mt Vernon 34 and a MtV 36B and while all different, it outplayed both in my opinion...

I've reached out for the shop card but the guy in charge is on vacation until July 10th. Keep you posted.

This is truly a special horn and looking forward to using it quite a bit in the future.

-Ray
ttf_RJMason

Bach 30

Post by ttf_RJMason »

For anyone still curious, I finally brought the horn to Josh Landress in NYC for inspection and measurements. I used the horn on a recording session and it sounded amazing. Round, resonant, and could get quite loud.

The slide is gold brass tubes .512/.522 dual Bore, so weirder than I thought.

The bell is gold brass, 8 inches, but the bell throat is quite big--it must have been an 8 inch bell spun on a Bach 45 or 50 bell mandrel, its bigger than a 42.

The slide is the same width as an elkhart 36. It's surprisingly light--maybe lightweight gold brass tubes.

I play tested it against a Mt Vernon 34 and a MtV 36B and while all different, it outplayed both in my opinion...

I've reached out for the shop card but the guy in charge is on vacation until July 10th. Keep you posted.

This is truly a special horn and looking forward to using it quite a bit in the future.

-Ray

Return to “Instruments”