Bach Trombones

ttf_seanschramm

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

Hey Y'all,

So a buddy of mine and I were talking about trombone brands last night and he went on a rant about how poorly made Bach trombones instruments are. Personally, I have never had any problems with my peashooter Bach, and I like the horn. I also played on a Stradivarius tenor and for a school horn, it played nicely. I just want to hear your opinion on Bach horns. Thanks guys!
ttf_BGuttman

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Bachs have always had a reputation of being somewhat quirky.  Some are made better than others.  You may find one better for you and I may find a different one better for me.  Still, I'd take a bad Stradivarius over a good Roy Benson any day.
ttf_Stewbones43

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 18, 2017, 01:26PM  Still, I'd take a bad Stradivarius over a good Roy Benson any day.

Hey Bruce, where can I buy a good Roy Benson trombone?

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Matt K

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Bach quality site:tromboneforum.org

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bach+quality+site%3Atromboneforum.org&oq=Bach+quality+site%3Atromboneforum.org&aqs=chrome..69i57.7294j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

QuoteAbout 5,510 results (0.50 seconds)
 Image If we aren't forthcoming with more information, there is a wealth of information about Bach quality over the years!

ttf_Bach42T

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Just like Wal-Mart, who gets the bad PR spotlight from time to time, love it or hate it, Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world.  The same goes for Bach.  Love it or hate it, Bach is arguably the most recognized (and historically prestigious) band instrument brand in the world.   There is always going to be a percentage of bad apples, it's all relative especially when you are the leader that all others aspire to duplicate.
ttf_Matt K

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Bach42T on May 18, 2017, 08:26PMJust like Wal-Mart, who gets the bad PR spotlight from time to time, love it or hate it, Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world.  The same goes for Bach.  Love it or hate it, Bach is arguably the most recognized (and historically prestigious) band instrument brand in the world.   There is always going to be a percentage of bad apples, it's all relative especially when you are the leader that all others aspire to duplicate.

I would highly doubt there's anybody dislikes the idea of Bach being in business (unlike Walmart which is typically a criticism of their business model, not the quality if their merchandise per se - an argument I find unconvincing as a former employee  but that is best saved for another thread). But their market share is not proof that they are quality. What it proves is that their branding, quality, and price in that specific combination are such that many people purchase them in high volumes.

The OP is primarily interested in the second piece if that perhaps as it relates to the other two but perhaps not as well.
ttf_chipolah

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_chipolah »

IMHO...   The Bachs that are produced these days, are not up to the standard of early Bachs. (whether they were inconsistent or not) Sorry Bach lovers !!!
ttf_Posaunus

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

I have played a Bach 36B from 1976 that is a very nice trombone, and a Bach LT36BO from ~2004-2005 that really seems equally nice (with a smoother-acting rotor valve) - and is much shinier!  Both have smooth, slippery slides.  [On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the Bach 42B and its successors.]  I have not tried anything newer than that from Bach, but can certainly testify that they once made high-quality trombones.  It's sad if the manufacturing quality of this proud brand has indeed deteriorated
ttf_Bach42T

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: Matt K on May 19, 2017, 04:23AMI would highly doubt there's anybody dislikes the idea of Bach being in business (unlike Walmart which is typically a criticism of their business model, not the quality if their merchandise per se - an argument I find unconvincing as a former employee  but that is best saved for another thread). But their market share is not proof that they are quality. What it proves is that their branding, quality, and price in that specific combination are such that many people purchase them in high volumes.
I should have clarified, a little bit in my Wal-Mart correlation.  I was really referring to their size and that fact that large companies are put under the microscope more so than other retailers.  The same could be said about Bach or any other leader in an industry.  I don't have enough proof to debate the intricacies of the issues Wal-Mart has had to deal with but I know there are many and didn't want to deviate from the topic.  I do like your point on branding, quality, and price. I think it's a conglomerate of factors that gives customer base a sense that that there is value-added in the product offering all of which has contributed to the success of Bach.  I think we can confidently say that Bach as the brand will continue to exist for years and years. 
ttf_greenbean

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I don't believe that the inconsistency of Bach horns has anything to do with the company's size.  It is the inconsistency of the build quality or, perhaps, the specs of the individual parts.  I have tried many Bachs.  They are all over the place.  The most inconsistent horns out there, IMO.
ttf_svenlarsson

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: greenbean on Today at 12:35 AMI don't believe that the inconsistency of Bach horns has anything to do with the company's size.  It is the inconsistency of the build quality or, perhaps, the specs of the individual parts.  I have tried many Bachs.  They are all over the place.  The most inconsistent horns out there, IMO.

Yes you are absolutely right.
The worst Bach horns are not as good as a good Roy Benson, sorry Bruce, but that is my opinion after testing probably hundred Bach horn and a few Roy Benson. I would not recommend a Roy Benson, neither a Bach if not tested.

That said, if you find a good Bach, you found a very good horn!

ttf_Matt K

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I don't have any hard numbers, but I would be surprised if Bach was producing more trombones than Yamaha.  (And woudl be happy to entertain anybody with hard numbers). That said - certainly Bach is producing less goods than Yamaha. Although the comparison isn't totally valid because technically they are in different industries, Bach seems to be treated as a separate company in many respects compared to Yamaha which stamps Yamaha on everything they produce. (E.g. we're actually talking about a Steinway 42, afterall!)  Yet Yamaha horns are regarded as being among the most consistent horns produced. 

As far as the parts vs. assembly, I'd take Eric Edwards words:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=;topic=88766.0
Quote from: bonearzt on Nov 11, 2015, 10:59AMBach makes great parts,  just doesn't take the care to assemble them correctly all the time....

Good for us techs!!

I'd bet a good rebuild would punch that ticket in a hurry!
Most of the 36s I've seen are and/or have been great horns,  especially after a bit of tweaking!
Not even modifying or replacing parts.

One big thing I see is the stock leadpipe SUCKS!!!!!   WAYYYYY to thick & heavy!!
Actually just modded a forumites 36 pipe and it totally changed his horn for the better!

My thinking is that Bach uses the same blank for the 36 and 42,  but on a different mandrel leaving way too much material after the drawing process.
Maybe?

Eric

So in that respect, I'll take a Bach over a Roy Benson everyday because I feel pretty confident that with a little labor, I can get it working better than I could a Roy Benson and for a longer period fo time.
ttf_Bach42T

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

So would the Roy Benson lead pipe supersede a Bach lead pipe?  I wonder how the Roy Benson lead pipe would make a difference if it were outfit in the Bach? 
ttf_Matt K

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Bach42T on Today at 08:47 AMSo would the Roy Benson lead pipe supersede a Bach lead pipe?  I wonder how the Roy Benson lead pipe would make a difference if it were outfit in the Bach? 

Probably depends on the RB.  I've honestly not liked a single Roy Benson I've ever played, but so it goes for any of the Chinese manufactureres to a certain degree.  Some of them are fine... for awhile at least.  I used a Bach as my main horn for awhile and it was great after a tech took care of some of the nuances that needed to be taken care of. Seems like some of them are really, really great.  Some of them not so much, but like Eric said, if all that it takes to turn a dud into a great horn is to get the leadpipe modified a little... then so be it.

But on the other hand, I don't think its related to scale as mentioned above because there are other companies producing much more and they have consistent output. 
ttf_MikeBMiller

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

FWIW, my nearly new 36BO is a very well made horn and sounds great.
ttf_JohnL

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Bach was taking flak for inconsistent quality long before they became part of Conn-Selmer (Steinway), so it's not a matter of size.

As for "bad Bach vs. good Roy Benson"? A lot of the time, a good tech can take apart a bad Bach and reassemble it into a good (or at least significantly better) Bach. Not sure if the same can be said for Roy Benson...
ttf_JohnL

Bach Trombones

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Bach was taking flak for inconsistent quality long before they became part of Conn-Selmer (Steinway), so it's not a matter of size.

As for "bad Bach vs. good Roy Benson"? A lot of the time, a good tech can take apart a bad Bach and reassemble it into a good (or at least significantly better) Bach. Not sure if the same can be said for Roy Benson...

Return to “Instruments”