What to do DURING wisdom teeth recovery

ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

I know this is another wisdom teeth thread, but I couldn't find anything for this specific topic:

I got all four wisdom teeth out a week ago. I'm currently on track to heal well; I'm doing all of the antibiotics, salt rinses, mouthwashes, only chewing with my front teeth, brushing frequently, etc. Because I really want it healed, I'm giving myself another week as well.

Which is gonna mean two total weeks off the horn, something that I haven't done since I got serious about music. And I have a lot of things on my plate once I get back. I know all of the playing that needs to be done once I get back on the horn, but in the meanwhile, is there anything I can do to...kinda keep up my chops? Some sort of smiling or lip tension exercises maybe?

All thoughts on this are welcome!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Practice double and triple tonguing (no horn; just tonguing air stream).

Sing or whistle your exercises.

Transcribe a couple of exercises into tenor and alto clef.

When you get back on your horn, start gently.  Don't push things.  Work in the central octave of your old range and then work out as you feel you can.

Good luck.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Play video games.

Listen to your music.

Stay away from the horn!
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Apr 03, 2017, 11:27PMPlay video games.

Listen to your music.

Stay away from the horn!

This, and do as much singing as you can find music for.

What you want to avoid is this: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dry-socket-symptoms-and-treatment

I had four out onboard a Navy ship many decades ago.  The dentist was very specific about avoiding activities with the back of the tongue that could knock the clots loose.  Maybe things have changed in all those years.  Best to DISCUSS this with your dentist. Asking isn't enough.  Most dentists don't know much about brass playing.  He might not be thinking about how much of the tongue gets involved with playing, or what kind of air pressure you can develop in your mouth.  If he says "no blowing," don't blow.  If he says, "maybe some blowing" DISCUSS what that means so you are both on the same page.

Or, do listening and singing for a few days and not let it stress you out.

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Use the time to work on ear training, site singing and brush up on music theory.  Do you play a non-wind instrument like piano, bass or Guitar work on that.  Do anything but play the horn.  You don't want to risk dry socket, or an infection.  If you aren't up on Tenor and alto clef there are practice sites on-line that help you practice reading them (kind of like flashcards, show you the clef and the note and you identify it). 
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I used that time to work on Baroque recorder.  It's essentially a zero-backpressure instrument and was a fun project.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I wouldn't do anything until my follow up appointment.  I should only be a couple of days (at least mine was). THey told me I had made a borderline miraculous recovery and it had looked like I never had the surgery done other than that there were no longer four teeth sticking out of my gums.  So my recovery was only a few days, you may also get lucky.  If you're less lucky you definitely don't want to be exacerbating it and the doctor can tell you how the recovery is going.

If you want to pick up a useful skill that doesn't involve using your mouth: learnpython.org. Or if you want to practice something musical: transcription, arranging, score study, or -- gasp! -- read  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I wouldn't do anything until my follow up appointment.  I should only be a couple of days (at least mine was). THey told me I had made a borderline miraculous recovery and it had looked like I never had the surgery done other than that there were no longer four teeth sticking out of my gums.  So my recovery was only a few days, you may also get lucky.  If you're less lucky you definitely don't want to be exacerbating it and the doctor can tell you how the recovery is going.

If you want to pick up a useful skill that doesn't involve using your mouth: learnpython.org. Or if you want to practice something musical: transcription, arranging, score study, or -- gasp! -- read  Image

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”