Ear wax again

ttf_timothy42b

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

My left ear is plugged.  I can't hear, it feels uncomfortable, everything muffled, etc.

i get a lot of wax, I don't know why.  Usually I can keep ahead of it with the occasional over the counter stuff.  This time it was so bad I went to the doctor, hoping it was just wax and not an ear infection.

Yup, wax completely blocking the canal.  He tried flushing it, no luck.  He tried manual removal with a probe, VERY uncomfortable, couldn't get it.  He did break off enough to see the ear drum and it looks okay.  So he sent me home to try a few days of Debrox and home flushing.  He said the next step is the ENT with his little vacuum, which will be even more painful. 

The weird thing is playing.  I'm getting a snare drum effect, the sound is kind of tinny and rattly.  It's not there on a recording but it sure is when playing. 
ttf_Ellrod

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've been dealing with this for years.

My doctor recommended a few drops of olive oil to soften it up. Then you get an ear syringe (rubber squeeze ball sort of thing from Walgreens) , fill it with warm water, and sluice out your ears.  (Might have to substitute something for the olive oil.)

It's not a heart transplant.
ttf_BGuttman

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The Debrox that Tim mentioned is a combination ear wax softener and peroxide which helps to degrade the wax.

Our friend's father had bad earwax and they used a technique called "candling".  No idea exactly what that is, but I think it involves heat.

<Edit> Did a search and found a Wikipedia article on ear candling and it says it's useless and dangerous.  Don't do it. <End Edit>

ttf_boneagain

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 20, 2017, 07:40AMThe Debrox that Tim mentioned is a combination ear wax softener and peroxide which helps to degrade the wax.

Our friend's father had bad earwax and they used a technique called "candling".  No idea exactly what that is, but I think it involves heat.

From what I've seen, "candling" is not highly recommended these days.  Basically, you roll beeswax to make a hollow candle and hold the (unlit!) end to your ear.  Supposed to warm the earwax and draw it out.  I'll stick with the debrox equivalents.
ttf_The Sheriff

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: boneagain on Feb 20, 2017, 07:45AMFrom what I've seen, "candling" is not highly recommended these days.  Basically, you roll beeswax to make a hollow candle and hold the (unlit!) end to your ear.  Supposed to warm the earwax and draw it out.  I'll stick with the debrox equivalents.
===

I agree, stick with Debrox or equivalent. Even stubborn wax will come out after a few days of Debrox.

===
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

This is probably the best way...
ttf_Pre59

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I had hard wax in my ears from years of wearing earplugs and had them syringed and tried the usual products like Otex (in the UK) with no luck . I found the best way for me was apply the Otex, let it soak and then very gently rub it around using cotton ear buds, and yes I know that this is not advised, also applying warm soapy water in the shower.
Once you've had your ears syringed I believe that they become more likely to wax up again, so a regular regime of ear cleaning may become necessary.
A bonus is that the volume level of my tinnitus seams to have reduced and is higher in frequency, so easier to live with.
ttf_SilverBone

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I've had problems with earwax for most of my life - a combination of small ear canals and I'm a "wet wax" (meaning gooier) former.

Debrox works.  In the hands of a skilled ENT, removing wax with probes should not be painful.

ttf_anonymous

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've had this problem several times.  The last time I had the wax removed, the ENT Doc told me to use a Q-tip every day to clean the wax out.  I know there are all kinds of dire warnings against doing this, probably the result of somebody jamming the thing way too far in and then suing the company.  I do it every day after I shower as recommended by my ENT Doc and no longer have a problem.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I really have to use Q-Tips all the way in, not necessarily for wax but to dry my ear canals after a shower.  Doctors always tell me not to do that but I've lived with my own ears a long time and by now I know what they need.
ttf_timothy42b

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I've been able to do my regular morning routine though it sounds a bit tinny.

I went to rehearsal last night and it was miserable.  I couldn't hear myself, at least I hope that horrible sound wasn't me.  I gave up and went home at break time.

I hope the Debrox works.
ttf_SilverBone

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Regarding Q-tips: My mother (who was an RN) always told me: "Never stick anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow!"
ttf_timothy42b

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I got it cleared last night, after about 4 days of constant Debrox and flushing (way more often than the twice a day the doctor recommended - more like hourly when possible).  Relief at last!

ttf_BGuttman

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Congrats.  Hard ear wax is a bear! Image
ttf_BGuttman

Ear wax again

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Congrats.  Hard ear wax is a bear! Image

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”