Anybody really know how to use an elliptical in the gym?

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

The building next to my office is a decent gym.  I've been going over on my lunch hour a couple times a week.

I warm up on the elliptical, but it doesn't feel like I'm making it hard enough.  (the knees have finally got in the way of running) 

The hard core types grab the center bar and step pretty fast, they don't swing their arms.  But mostly the ellipticals stay pretty empty here, it's a serious gym. 

I've googled ellipticals and workouts, and didn't find a single article that seemed to know as much as me.  Most seemed glib nonsense. 

Currently I'm ending my workout with a Tabata on the Jacob's ladder and it really kicks my butt. 
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

There is just one at my current gym, and it is lightly used. Treadmills and recumbent bicycles seem the most popular.

I think elliptical trainers are a passing fad. I find the elliptical harder to use, and coordination does seem to be an issue at least for me. I use them under duress in hotel fitness rooms when there is nothing else available. I have not seen any material on their effective use.

Personally, I used Stairmasters the most when I was travelling.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I think you've come to the same conclusion I have, they're not a serious workout. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Elliptical machines are useful for injured people and also for sustained cardio. An hour on an elliptical is not hard on your joints or your body, and sustained low level cardio helps to burn fat.

If you are on an elliptical to try and get an extreme workout, you're fooling yourself. But if you want to elavate your heart rate for an hour and it's freezing or raining outside, it's not a bad way to go. Walking and jogging is a lot more effective though for improving fitness.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

A long time ago, the Chinese proved you can get a serious workout playing ping-pong! So the "serious workout" part is all up to you.

The thing about all those machines, though - and I think Harrison touched on it - is that they move. The street doesn't move. So the best overall body-part workout for cardio is still running, jogging, fast-walking, etc out on the street.

I did my 2-hours of horn-honking this morning, so it's time for my 3-mile run outside and then 1/2 hour of lifting weights on my Weider weight machine.

...Geezer
ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

There is really only one brand of elliptical I like to use, because the stride feels natural, and any other elliptical I've tried feels unnatural and very hard to use. It's easy to just set the resistance low and forget about getting a good workout in, so I like to set the resistance high enough that I'm working hard and making sure I'm going fast enough to keep my heart rate up. Of course running is superior as far as burning calories per time spent, but you can get a pretty good cardio workout on an elliptical if you force yourself to work hard.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Is it "less serious" or less self-explanatory than walking on a treadmill or stationary bicycling?
You get out of it what you put into it, don't you?
If you want some variety from the other low-impact gym machines... why not?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Aug 26, 2017, 07:53AMIs it "less serious" or less self-explanatory than walking on a treadmill or stationary bicycling?
You get out of it what you put into it, don't you?
If you want some variety from the other low-impact gym machines... why not?

Aside:

For some odd reason, every time I look at your profile pic, I see a circular saw cutting through a panel. I hope it doesn't sound like that when you play!  Image

/Aside

...Geezer
ttf_JGordon

Post by ttf_JGordon »

I used to run on most days. Then, at one point my doctor suggested that because of lower back and spine issues I was having, the pounding on the turf or road that running implied was not the best thing for me. So, I started using elliptical machines. That meant working out in a gym instead of outside and that was a loss.  However, the elliptical workout was a lot easier on my body and that was a good thing.

Most elliptical machines have various settings to adjust resistance levels.  On some you can adjust the incline of the machine to increase difficulty. Using those various controls or just going faster can usually translate into a pretty good workout in my experience.  However, it is true that you can also just do the equivalent to an easy stroll in the woods on the machines if that is how you decide to use them. So, like in many things (including trombone practice) you get out of the practice what you put in. 

In terms of how to use the machines:  I usually start with a period of low resistance to warm up and then increase speed and resistance for a block of time then then have a warm down period.  By adjusting resistance and speed you up and down you can also achieve something akin to interval training.  Each of the brands is a little different in terms of the controls and some brands are not very comfortable for me to use.

This is a trombone forum and so many of those who log onto it are not necessarily fitness fanatics. I'm not. In my case, the goal is some aerobic exercise, some stretching and some weight bearing exercise every day. My doc's take was that in the aerobic category, an elliptical machine workout was least likely to cause injuries --so that daily practice becomes more likely.     

I am in my 60s and that is one reason why the elliptical machine seems attractive. When I was in my 20s I wanted more challenging forms of exercise. Also, at that point in my life I felt almost immortal.  I certainly don't feel anything near immortal now and I appreciate a machine that is relatively easy on the body.   

ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 26, 2017, 08:06AMAside:

For some odd reason, every time I look at your profile pic, I see a circular saw cutting through a panel. I hope it doesn't sound like that when you play!  Image

/Aside

...Geezer

Aside:
And so what if it does? YOU don't have to listen to me.
/Aside

ttf_harrison.t.reed

ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

The elliptical is awesome.  Especially the new ones with the springy leg parts.
Definitely easier on the back and knees.
I use it when I don't run. Great aerobic workout and I use the arms off and on.

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: timothy42b on Aug 26, 2017, 05:24AMI think you've come to the same conclusion I have, they're not a serious workout. 

Uh, um, yeah. I have a repaired compound fracture of my left hip. It’s been rebuilt. I find the elliptical to be fine for my situation. I set it for time, usually an hour, at the recommended HR for my age group. It’s nothing fancy, but it does allow for a certain segment of the population to get a workout based upon their limitations. You’ve got to know them at some point. Unless you’re Doc Severinsen. Good physical is a challenge.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: ronkny on Aug 26, 2017, 09:16PM
I use it when I don't run. Great aerobic workout and I use the arms off and on.

Ahah!

That's actually why I asked the question in the first place.

What I observe in the gym is that the more hardbodied the person, the less likely they are to be using the arms.  I wondered if they knew something i didn't, if that was maybe the more effective or more serious way to use it.

I did google it but found no decent articles at all, which made me wonder if that's because no real athlete uses them.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: timothy42b on Aug 27, 2017, 08:43AMAhah!

That's actually why I asked the question in the first place.

What I observe in the gym is that the more hardbodied the person, the less likely they are to be using the arms.  I wondered if they knew something i didn't, if that was maybe the more effective or more serious way to use it.

I did google it but found no decent articles at all, which made me wonder if that's because no real athlete uses them.

Do a search on YouTube for "use of elliptical machine". I found quite a few vids. I don't know if any of them tell you what you want to know b/c it ain't my thing. But you can take a look and decide.

...Geezer
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

They're written about in academic writing, though most of them are behind paywalls as best I can tell.  Arms are optional if you want to work them out but you will get cardio just by holding onto the bar.  The speeds at which you go roughly equate to what you want to get out of it. People who run quickly on it are doing roughly the same thing as running... they're doing some kind of endurance/fat burning.  I usually go about a jog because I'm not hardcore. I just want to generally be in shape.  A jog on an orbital exercise machine is basically an easy way to get some stamina and raise cardio without feeling like you've been hit by a truck afterwards.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

You're supposed to lift it above your head repeatedly.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Aug 27, 2017, 12:02PMYou're supposed to lift it above your head repeatedly.

Agh I've been doing it wrong the whole time!! Image
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Aug 27, 2017, 12:02PMYou're supposed to lift it above your head repeatedly.

Since when do Bone players look up at anything? Just set it, and forget it.
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

Quote from: JGordon on Aug 26, 2017, 10:02AMI used to run on most days. Then, at one point my doctor suggested that because of lower back and spine issues I was having, the pounding on the turf or road that running implied was not the best thing for me. So, I started using elliptical machines. That meant working out in a gym instead of outside and that was a loss.  However, the elliptical workout was a lot easier on my body and that was a good thing.

Most elliptical machines have various settings to adjust resistance levels.  On some you can adjust the incline of the machine to increase difficulty. Using those various controls or just going faster can usually translate into a pretty good workout in my experience.  However, it is true that you can also just do the equivalent to an easy stroll in the woods on the machines if that is how you decide to use them. So, like in many things (including trombone practice) you get out of the practice what you put in. 

In terms of how to use the machines:  I usually start with a period of low resistance to warm up and then increase speed and resistance for a block of time then then have a warm down period.  By adjusting resistance and speed you up and down you can also achieve something akin to interval training.  Each of the brands is a little different in terms of the controls and some brands are not very comfortable for me to use.

This is a trombone forum and so many of those who log onto it are not necessarily fitness fanatics. I'm not. In my case, the goal is some aerobic exercise, some stretching and some weight bearing exercise every day. My doc's take was that in the aerobic category, an elliptical machine workout was least likely to cause injuries --so that daily practice becomes more likely.     

I am in my 60s and that is one reason why the elliptical machine seems attractive. When I was in my 20s I wanted more challenging forms of exercise. Also, at that point in my life I felt almost immortal.  I certainly don't feel anything near immortal now and I appreciate a machine that is relatively easy on the body.   

I ran regularly about 20 miles a week for several years. At about age 60, my right knee said "no more". I transferred to bicycling and gym workouts including the elliptical. I use it about twice a week (alternating with swimming and stationary bikes, as well as my street biking).

Elliptical makes my heart rate go high, produces a heavy sweat, and (with changing some functions) is as worthy a workout as my running days, but with less stress on my joints.

My advice, be aggressive and challenging, use the warm down, do some stretching after the workout. I use elliptical after a vigorous weight work out of about 40 minutes, an aerobic finish to my workout.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Now we have one vote for getting a good workout from one, as opposed to a lesser intensity easy on the joints aerobic workout. 

I'll play with the resistance settings some more.  Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Now we have one vote for getting a good workout from one, as opposed to a lesser intensity easy on the joints aerobic workout. 

I'll play with the resistance settings some more.  Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. 

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”