If you could do it all over again...

ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

I've been on a brief 9 year hiatus from playing.  Things feel surprisingly good.  The registers are there but the endurance is aweful.  There's something to be said for muscle memory!

I never played professionally, but as a serious amature I used to find 2+ hrs a day to practice. Knowing I won't have that kind of time, what do yo think are some healthy habits to start with?  Or perhaps, things to avoid when learning again?  Advice for a daily routine for someone in my position? Thanks in advance,
CJ

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I've been down that same path, returned about 4 years ago. Play long tones. Play intervals and scales. Play lip slurs. Play Rochut and/or Realbook tunes. Find a group to play with, and maybe a pro to have a lesson with now and then. Record your self to get a more objective view of where you are.

Work on steady tone and pitch with a tuner. Play scale exercises with a metronome to keep time consistent. You might want to start with a lesson to make sure your embouchure is in good shape.

In addition to playing with a group, get a duet buddy. Playing with others helps keep you motivated and honest.

Also, make sure you have a horn thats in good shape and its something you like. Some people quit because they are frustrated by their equipment.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

"In addition to playing with a group, get a duet buddy. Playing with others helps keep you motivated and honest."

That's such a good idea.
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

Use the tuner to check where notes lie on your instrument, but primarily rely on a drone to match pitch and work in intonation.

Record one line of a duet and play the other.

Spend 5 minutes daily on sight singing.

Learn the effective use of alternate positions.

Consider Smart Music for performance practice.
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Al Hermann told me to do long tones early early early every day.  Then you have your maintenance done and anything else goes toward improvement. 

But make sure you do the anything else!
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Al Hermann told me to do long tones early early early every day.  Then you have your maintenance done and anything else goes toward improvement. 

But make sure you do the anything else!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”