Skin Falling Off Above Lips After Playing

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone,

Since around the beginning of this year, I've had an issue with skin falling off of the area above my lips where I get a red ring when I'm playing. It will usually become scaly and fall off starting when I wake up the next morning after I've played. If there's any possible connection, the red ring I get has also become much more defined. I got a metal allergy test to see if that could be the cause but I'm not allergic. Does anyone know what the cause could be, or know how to deal with this issue?

Thanks!
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

I've never had that problem or heard of it but I've been around players who use Carmex lip balm - the little round yellow canister, Just to avoid such problems I think, not sure. 

Let's assume the doctor didn't diagnose what you have going on there as syphilis or ringworm.  As nasty as that sounds that can happen. 
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

My lower lip does this when I play a lot. I make sure to moisturize my face around my chops (I use some Aveeno face lotion) and use Burt's Bees on my chops every night.

Also make sure you're drinking enough water.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I'm a bit weird but in no way alone in that I don't get a very prominent ring around my lips after playing, even for extended periods.

However I'm no stranger to stress on my lips.  Sometimes, now that I play bass, when I have to play fff below the clef I tend to split my lower lip a bit.  The healing process tends toward a little flaking.  I wonder if this might be a similar thing to what you are experiencing.  Do you notice it more when you have to play very loud?

ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

This happens to me in the winter if I haven't played in a few days.  Usually it subsides after I get back to a daily routine. 
ttf_Raphael boner

Post by ttf_Raphael boner »

This happens to me from time to time. It is due to my eczema. I don't actually do metal allergies, although I find that playing on gold is more comfortable. However, when I go back to my home town (Nice, France) I get horrible allergies around my lips. It is dues to multiple factors. Vegetation, humidity of the air, power of the sun, etc..

Have a thorough allergy test. Ask your doctor.

I like to use the ChopSaver also because it contains Calendula and avocado oil. Calendula helps the irritation to calm down, and avocado oil is filled with vitamin E to nourish and hydrate the lips.

Here is a video I made on that subject :

https://www.raphaelreiter.com/best-chapstick-lip-balm-for-musicians/

You can also use lip balms with thermal water in it, like Avene, or Laroche Posay ( French brands, sorry...)

Don't hesitate to email me if you need more advice

Raphael
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Sounds like what the docs call contact dermatitis. 

The lips may be irritated at the piece, and this can be seemingly irrational.  Various balms seem like the first thing to try, and all the time to keep the are from drying. 

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”