Trombone feature pieces?

ttf_anonymous

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sometime next year, a concert band I’m playing with is going to do a concert with the theme, “Bad to the ‘Bone”.  It’s a trombone feature concert.
The conductor is looking for ‘bone features suitable for an 80 piece band with a pretty damn good trombone section.
Suggestions??

ttf_BGuttman

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Henry Fillmore wrote a bunch of "Trombone Smears" that were called things like "Lassus Trombone", "Sally Trombone", "Shoutin' Liza Trombone", etc.  The liner notes for these are quite politically incorrect (they were written in a different era) but the music will feature the trombone section.  Many are available on BandmusicPDF.org.

There is a piece by David Rose called "Holiday for Trombones" (same piece as "Holiday for Strings" but using 3 trombone parts).  It may be out of print but older bands often have a copy hanging around.

It's not unheard of to do Bugler's Holiday with 3 trombones.  I wanted to do it with 3 tubas once, but we never got the three players together and a band willing to do it at the same time.  You have to be able to read treble clef to play the "solo" parts.

For that matter, have a look at BandmusicPDF.org for other trombone section features.  That was a popular novelty item of the Concert in the Park era.

I hope others have some more modern suggestions.
ttf_Japle

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Japle »

I'm sure the conductor will insist on "Lassus Trombones" and the hated "76 Trombones".

I saw The Music Man on Broadway with the original cast when I was 13 and thought it was crappy then.  I still do. 
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I haven't ever seen a version of "76 Trombones" that actually featured the trombones.  Not that it matters.

If you are going to do a Fillmore trombone piece, I like "Shoutin' Liza" better.  It sounds a little like the Hallelujah chorus from Messiah.  It gave Fillmore his nickname: "Hallelujah Trombone".

Sidebar:  I almost moved to Melbourne 30 years ago, but the project was abandoned and I moved on to another employer.  Where in Space Coast town are you?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

If there are no contemporary pieces that are of interest, there is always "Slippery Gentlemen" - a very fun piece for three 'bones to play.

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Thanks, Geezer.  I think I also have a sample score around here for something called "Slide Kicks" for 3 trombones and band.  It was pretty elementary.

Also have something called "3 Bluejackets".

Maybe you could arrange the Kenton "Here's that Rainy Day" from Big Band to Concert Band...
ttf_Geezerhorn

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 26, 2017, 12:59PMThanks, Geezer.  I think I also have a sample score around here for something called "Slide Kicks" for 3 trombones and band.  It was pretty elementary.

Also have something called "3 Bluejackets".

Maybe you could arrange the Kenton "Here's that Rainy Day" from Big Band to Concert Band...

Lol. That's above my pay grade, but I wonder if Zack has given any thought to publishing something contemporary or classic for a 'bone yard.

While we are thinking about it, I wonder what possible candidates there could be for a new publication. I know it won't help the OP right now, but there will be future dates to prepare for. I think it would have to be something that has proven itself worthy of full orchestration in the past...

"Across The Universe"

"Beauty And The Beast"

"Everybody Loves Somebody"

"Georgia On My Mind"

"You Only Live Twice"

A "Star Wars" or "Star Trek" theme

?????

I can hear every one of the above in either a trio or 'bone quartet.

...Geezer
ttf_gregs70

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever".  We did it in a concert band where the entire trombone section marched to the front of the stage for the last stanza.  Real crowd-pleaser.
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: gregs70 on Apr 26, 2017, 09:12PMSousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever".  We did it in a concert band where the entire trombone section marched to the front of the stage for the last stanza.  Real crowd-pleaser.

Want to really  wow them?  Have a few of you do the piccolo solo on trombone. Image
ttf_Woolworth

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

See if you can scare up a copy of Eric Richards' arrangement "A Trombone Tribute".  It's a medley of "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You", "Here's That Rainy Day", and "'Lassus Trombone".  There are five trombone parts and a fair amount of improvisation over the "Lassus" changes.  You'll also need a crack rhythm section to pull it off.
ttf_gregs70

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 26, 2017, 10:08PMWant to really  wow them?  Have a few of you do the piccolo solo on trombone. Image

Saw a video of a trombone group from Great Britain doing just that.  Very awesome and very humbling to a hack bone player like me.
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: gregs70 on Apr 27, 2017, 04:11PMSaw a video of a trombone group from Great Britain doing just that.  Very awesome and very humbling to a hack bone player like me.

That was probably Bones Apart, the all-girl quartet.  Spectacular players all.

If you get the TAP arrangement the solo is in the 2nd part.
ttf_NYPhil

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_NYPhil »

This might be appropriate. I've performed it before.
Leyden: Concerto for 3 trombones

http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/tenor_trombone/solos_with_band/products/sku112213-leyden-concerto-for-trombones.php

Mvt 1 is a solo, mvt 2 is a duet, and guess what Mvt 3 is a trio!

You can find performances on youtube.

ttf_Goddardo

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Goddardo »

I will follow him comes to mind. The concert band version I have played has exactly the same trombone parts, but conductors have an annoying habit of getting the trombone players to dress up for it.

I remember the Grenadier Guards playing a wonderful version of "you'd be so nice to come home to". Good luck finding the parts for that one though.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Goddardo on Today at 12:28 AMI will follow him comes to mind. The concert band version I have played has exactly the same trombone parts, but conductors have an annoying habit of getting the trombone players to dress up for it.

I remember the Grenadier Guards playing a wonderful version of "you'd be so nice to come home to". Good luck finding the parts for that one though.

Lol. Normally, I love trombones harmonizing together, but they managed to make the first number sound like a dirge, except for the completely out-of-place glisses. I realize it was a church setting, with a totally new take on a Peggy March 60's love song. I admired that aspect. Maybe take the tempo up a click or three anyway?

...Geezer
ttf_JP

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_JP »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 26, 2017, 10:08PMWant to really  wow them?  Have a few of you do the piccolo solo on trombone. Image
I have a quartet arrangement with the piccolo solo in the bass trombone, valve "trills" (more like flutters). A flute/piccolo player attended a performance and after all the laughter told me it worked great  Image Image
ttf_JP

Trombone feature pieces?

Post by ttf_JP »

I have a quartet arrangement with the piccolo solo in the bass trombone, valve "trills" (more like flutters). A flute/piccolo player attended a performance and after all the laughter told me it worked great  Image Image

Return to “Musical Miscellany”