"Buffalo Breath" cadenza-style solo..

ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

I play 1st trombone in my high school jazz band, so I was lucky enough to receive a transcribed tenor sax part to play as a small ensemble feature alongside a tenor sax and two trumpets on the tune "Buffalo Breath." I was fooling around a bit one rehearsal, and long story short, the director stuck me with a cadenza-style solo near the end of the song. The way this works is that the entire band stops playing at the third to last measure, a place where the soloists usually intervene with a written lick. In this case, that lick has been removed and replaced with this solo. Not so bad, right? There's a catch- no rhythm section. Or anyone else, for that matter. It's just me. When I feel like I'm done, I give the director a signal and he cues everyone else into the last note.

But what to do? I can't employ tactics I use to follow the chord progression, because there is none in this moment. It just starts to sound awkward after 10 seconds or so (the director wants it at least that long). I've drawn a blank. Anyone have suggestions?
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

A simple idea would be to play some notes for however long and then move the same notes you just played an octave higher or lower and play them again.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Write out a chord progression to follow.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Gives you freedom to do what you want...maybe something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWG1tTOA9k&list=PL073B521DFC70D74E
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Nice playing, but I doubt anybody would let him do a 5 minute cadenza.  But there are some elements in there that are worth investigating.

Jack Teagarden was famous for his "Trambone Cadenzas" which were usually a lot shorter but quite florid.  Lots of arpeggios and runs.

Write something down that will take around 15 to 30 seconds and really dazzle.  That should do the part.  I like to include elements of the melody of the song and work around that.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In my high school jazz band, I love solos! I like to "steal" from the melody somewhere towards the beginning of my solos, whenever it feels right. Without the rhythm section, you have more freedom with the notes and rhythms. Try playing something from the song's melody, like BGuttman suggested, and then change it up a little. If you like it, stick with it. If not, then change it up. Do something unexpected. What would the audience like? Do that. Strong opening, strong finish. Also remember that sometimes you say more with less (don't just play a million notes to show off how fast you can play notes, do something with a greater impression). Hopefully that helps!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In my high school jazz band, I love solos! I like to "steal" from the melody somewhere towards the beginning of my solos, whenever it feels right. Without the rhythm section, you have more freedom with the notes and rhythms. Try playing something from the song's melody, like BGuttman suggested, and then change it up a little. If you like it, stick with it. If not, then change it up. Do something unexpected. What would the audience like? Do that. Strong opening, strong finish. Also remember that sometimes you say more with less (don't just play a million notes to show off how fast you can play notes, do something with a greater impression). Hopefully that helps!

Return to “Musical Miscellany”