Helping vs Self Validation?

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

At what point does posting a comment to help a member become more about self validation? Topics concerning range seem to particularly fall victim to this, and often the OP disappears off the radar leaving a trail of fractious comments.
It's difficult not to get involved when it's a topic that may have a lot of resonance due to one's own past difficulties. I try and post based on my experiences, which may be very different from others on this forum, but I'm often left with the feeling that there's a desire for a convergence, to only have one possible solution to an issue. "There Can Be Only One".
This has a chilling effect, and creates an intolerance to newer ideas. Your thoughts please.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

But there can only be one solution to range. It's out in the woodshed. One might not find it for years.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 23, 2017, 04:11AMBut there can only be one solution to range. It's out in the woodshed. One might not find it for years.

I wouldn't be so sure...There are different embouchure schools and they all come with a slightly different solution. Not all of them suit everyone of us.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Facebook. Twitter, Linkedln, Piniterest, Tumblr, Blogging, Reddit, Instagram, The Trombone Forum, etc.

It's ALL social media and it has it's impact on what we think, say and do. Does anyone have any example lately of how social media has made a HUGE impact and how it possibly has changed the direction of history? lol

Maybe the pendulum will someday swing back and TTF will revert to where a newbie asks a question, and a pro gives THE "correct" response. Probably not, though.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

I just wanted to say there was only one solution.

In any case, for trombone there may be schools of thought on embouchure, but all they really are doing is either describing defacto embouchures (ie, you can't invent a new embouchure at this point) and how to figure out which type you are, or the school pidgeonholes a student into a type that they are not arbitrarily.

Now, this doesn't really matter if you aren't woodshedding your embouchure and putting in work. Sure, a middle schooler can squeak out an F, but getting the F to sound right takes work.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I was referring to small but sometimes essential differencies in how we use the whole system (breathing-tongue position-embouchure).

But there's not "cheats". Whatever the system or the details, it takes work and time.

Sometimes the tone of speach used by forumers is sub-optimal but that doesn't necesarrily means that we have nothing to learn from their contribution.

Paralysis through analysis is something to avoid not only in our playing and practice, but in our social endeavours as well, just my 0.02$.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Comments are ALWAYS about self-validation, aren't they? Even if I'm "just trying to help"... why would I want to help, if not to make myself feel better?  Image

Different physiologies, different personalities, different teaching styles... different bits of advice will work better for some people than for others.
Just because something doesn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work for you.

On the other hand, sometimes the advice offered is truly terrible (or: it will be counterproductive in 95% of cases), and the OP might not recognize it as such, and more seasoned players will feel the need to jump in and warn the OP.

Where do we draw the line between "possibly useful solutions" and "probably useless solutions"?
I don't know.

Nobody's saying we don't have to spend time in the woodshed (are they?), but figuring out how to best spend our time in that woodshed is certainly up for discussion, I'd think.

P.S. I've been avoiding the range discussion, so apologies if I'm missing something specific
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 23, 2017, 05:21AMI just wanted to say there was only one solution.

In any case, for trombone there may be schools of thought on embouchure, but all they really are doing is either describing defacto embouchures (ie, you can't invent a new embouchure at this point) and how to figure out which type you are, or the school pidgeonholes a student into a type that they are not arbitrarily.

Now, this doesn't really matter if you aren't woodshedding your embouchure and putting in work. Sure, a middle schooler can squeak out an F, but getting the F to sound right takes work.

If I substitute the words " desirable outcome" for your "only one solution", your argument makes more sense to me.

And if there is one thing we ALL need to observe more, it's to hit the "ignore" button more often!

...Geezer
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: bonenick on Mar 23, 2017, 04:47AMI wouldn't be so sure...There are different embouchure schools and they all come with a slightly different solution. Not all of them suit everyone of us.
Yes of course, but none of these different schools can be put int to practice without, well ... practice.  That is the one constant.  Pick a 'proven' method and practice it for a good long while.  Practice is the one tool you have to use with every single method.  Unfortunately there is no 'magic' method that can accomplish any goals without it.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Mar 23, 2017, 05:52AM
Comments are ALWAYS about self-validation, aren't they? Even if I'm "just trying to help"... why would I want to help, if not to make myself feel better?  Image

It's possible to help someone in an "empty" way, just because you can, and happen to be in the right space at the time. That's different from arguing about or trying to find a universal truth about a topic where there many differing opinions are held, to the exclusion of all others. Sometimes here's a line that gets crossed when a poster disregards other peoples lived reality, and I think that this is to the detriment of us all, hence my line "There Can Be Only One". 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 06:43AMIt's possible to help someone in an "empty" way, just because you can, and happen to be in the right space at the time. That's different from arguing about or trying to find a universal truth about a topic where there many differing opinions are held, to the exclusion of all others. Sometimes here's a line that gets crossed when a poster disregards other peoples lived reality, and I think that this is to the detriment of us all, hence my line "There Can Be Only One". 

Really? Do you expect everyone on this Forum to rise to the level of Dr. Phil's meatball psychology? lol and  Image

...Geezer
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Dr. Phil?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Dr. Phil

...Geezer
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 07:58AMOh, and so..

Lol. Your post was deep - as in let's all put our mukluks on.

But seriously; translation, please.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BillO on Mar 23, 2017, 06:27AM  Practice is the one tool you have to use with every single method.  Unfortunately there is no 'magic' method that can accomplish any goals without it.

You are unlikely to achieve range without practice.

Practice in itself is a "necessary but not sufficient" condition. 

Practice can be counterproductive, either if it is not correct, or if it produces such consistency that you never hit on the set of conditions that make for range. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

This is a self-validating topic.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 02:17AMAt what point does posting a comment to help a member become more about self validation? Topics concerning range seem to particularly fall victim to this, and often the OP disappears off the radar leaving a trail of fractious comments...

I think it's helpful to view forums such as this not as carefully-vetted professional seminars but as just another afternoon at "Cheers".  I suspect there may be some alcohol involved in the back and forths that happen here.

A useful answer may appear, none-the-less.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK Pre59, is saying what worked for you to solve a problem self-validation?  Or is it simply suggesting an approach that my (or may not) work for someone else?  After all, if it worked for me, maybe it will work for you.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I wouldn't get in a dither about an OP never showing up to acknowledge if anything was helpful to them. They probably go off laughing and skipping to one of the many other social media sites for their "feel goods".

So if we wish to self-indulge or self-mutilate or self-flagellate in the process of discussion on our social media site that is near-and-dear to us, so what?

...Geezer
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 23, 2017, 09:30AMI think it's helpful to view forums such as this not as carefully-vetted professional seminars but as just another afternoon at "Cheers".  I suspect there may be some alcohol involved in the back and forths that happen here.

A useful answer may appear, none-the-less.

amusing as well as a good observation...
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 05:19AMFacebook. Twitter, Linkedln, Piniterest, Tumblr, Blogging, Reddit, Instagram, The Trombone Forum, etc.

It's ALL social media and it has it's impact on what we think, say and do. Does anyone have any example lately of how social media has made a HUGE impact and how it possibly has changed the direction of history? lol

Maybe the pendulum will someday swing back and TTF will revert to where a newbie asks a question, and a pro gives THE "correct" response. Probably not, though.

...Geezer

You guys mean - like this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...Geezer
ttf_Piano man

Post by ttf_Piano man »

I didn't think the high-range thread was so bad. The student had a rather specific application--trying to become more secure in a particular piece. People referenced specific exercises and systems that had helped them, and made suggestions on the physical process of making the range more musical and secure.

Some people were leery of making suggestions (like 'air support') in the absence of a teacher, because the recipient might interpret it in a way that does more harm than good. That led to some unnecessary back-and-forth on that subject. There were a few jokes, and a disgusting idea about a fifty-cent piece that might nonetheless be helpful.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 23, 2017, 09:37AMOK Pre59, is saying what worked for you to solve a problem self-validation?  Or is it simply suggesting an approach that my (or may not) work for someone else?  After all, if it worked for me, maybe it will work for you.

It's to do with the manner in which the post is offered. An answer along the lines of "try this, it's worked for me" is different from suggesting that "mine" is the only way, it stifles debate and possibly puts off potential new posts.

Also, If a tbn player has a good brass players face and teeth, has a reasonable ear, can keep time, had decent music lessons, and made the grade to his chosen level, he's far less likely to understand the trials of someone who had to overcome major difficulties. So saying "practice more" isn't helpful if the OP has hit a wall and needs to find a way around it.

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 02:17AMAt what point does posting a comment to help a member become more about self validation? Topics concerning range seem to particularly fall victim to this, and often the OP disappears off the radar leaving a trail of fractious comments.
It's difficult not to get involved when it's a topic that may have a lot of resonance due to one's own past difficulties. I try and post based on my experiences, which may be very different from others on this forum, but I'm often left with the feeling that there's a desire for a convergence, to only have one possible solution to an issue. "There Can Be Only One".
This has a chilling effect, and creates an intolerance to newer ideas. Your thoughts please.

Goodness.... I don't post to self validate.... I've been around far too many years.... 33 at Scottish Opera and 26 at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland... to need to massage my ego on this site. I am sure that some people find me arrogant, self opinionated and domineering..... but that's my nice side....
Many posters are wracked with certainty and burdened with insight, but that is what forums are all about.
What anybody can do on here is pretty limited.... honestly, I can do things in a one-to-one session that simply cannot be done here... period.
This forum is what it is... and it has incredible value, but also incredible limitations.
Enjoy.

Chris Stearn
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 02:17AMAt what point does posting a comment to help a member become more about self validation? Topics concerning range seem to particularly fall victim to this, and often the OP disappears off the radar leaving a trail of fractious comments.

You might be over thinking this.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Ellrod on Mar 23, 2017, 04:18PMYou might be over thinking this.

Re-reading this topic from the top, I can see that I'm well out of step, (apart from one PM in support ) but some good may come of it.

I'll get my coat..
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 04:50PMRe-reading this topic from the top, I can see that I'm well out of step, (apart from one PM in support ) but some good may come of it.

I'll get my coat..

Whoa! Hold your horses. You have an opinion. It's worth a discussion. I didn't have a clue what your opinion was and asked for a clarification. I think I get it now. I think others do as well.

Let it run and pop in to comment.

...Geezer
ttf_Piano man

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: blast on Mar 23, 2017, 02:18PMMany posters are wracked with certainty and burdened with insight, but that is what forums are all about.

Outstanding!
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 01:32PMIt's to do with the manner in which the post is offered. An answer along the lines of "try this, it's worked for me" is different from suggesting that "mine" is the only way, it stifles debate and possibly puts off potential new posts.

Also, If a tbn player has a good brass players face and teeth, has a reasonable ear, can keep time, had decent music lessons, and made the grade to his chosen level, he's far less likely to understand the trials of someone who had to overcome major difficulties. So saying "practice more" isn't helpful if the OP has hit a wall and needs to find a way around it.

I would wager that proooobably most people who post questions, young students included are aware that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to practice. Whilst I agree with you that there are definitely posters who push their own ideas and experiences very strongly (I am sure I am guilty of having done this at some point!) I cant think off the top of my head of any poster who has point blank refused to accept alternative ideas to those that they themselves post.

The "practice more" response is a little tricky i guess.... Personally, I think it is useful for people to see that regularly. There are so many posters who claim that their technical issues are a result of playing the "wrong gear" which can be a part of the problem, but I think it is rarely a core problem. Being reminded that most things can be overcome with dedicated and intelligent practice is something I dont think can be said too much, to any player of any level. Another point is that there are posters who will say things like "I have tried practice, I practice for x amount of hours a day and its not improving". Of course practice more is the wrong response in that instance, but a lot of people (I believe!) Dont differentiate between "practice" and simply "playing the instrument". In that instance, it is helpful to remind the person that perhaps they should re assess how they are practicing. For example, I went to uni with a trumpet player who would "practice" religiously for 6 hours a day. He was not a good player. Not competitive at all and didn't really improve. This really confused me, so a few times I would sneak up outside his practice room to listen. He would do hoards of technique, play etudes, smash recital stuff but when a major issue occured in his playing, he either couldn't identify it, or chose not to spend time addressing each issue as thay arose. Hearing him practice was a big lesson for me. I realised then that this person DID NOT practice for 6 hours a day, he just played trumpet for 6 hours a day. A lot of people do not know the difference.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Mar 23, 2017, 08:02PM... Whilst I agree with you that there are definitely posters who push their own ideas and experiences very strongly (I am sure I am guilty of having done this at some point!) I cant think off the top of my head of any poster who has point blank refused to accept alternative ideas to those that they themselves post...

OMG, I sure can.  Image 

Long wall-o-text posts and adamant assertions about being right.  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Snobsworthy comes to mind
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Haha!!!! Ok.... maaaaaaybe a couple  Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 04:58PMWhoa! Hold your horses. You have an opinion. It's worth a discussion. I didn't have a clue what your opinion was and asked for a clarification. I think I get it now. I think others do as well.

...Geezer

Geezer, people like you and me have a responsibility. "You have an opinion. It's worth a discussion." Yes I agree, its fun to discuss, but we should also think about this forum to be informative and a resource for young people and beginners like you.

Leif
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Reading and posting on TTF is a very mild addiction. A harmless addiction. Once other activities become more pleasurable to the poster than posting, the posting stops.
Simple.

Easily observed with even casual reading and observing how new posters crop up, drop 100 posts, and then get it out of their system.

Harmless.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 04:58PMWhoa! Hold your horses. You have an opinion. It's worth a discussion. I didn't have a clue what your opinion was and asked for a clarification. I think I get it now. I think others do as well.

...Geezer

The positive outcome may be that I/we check our motives on some of the more contentious topics. I admit to having an axe to grind sometimes, along the lines of "I can see this, why can't you?".
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 24, 2017, 04:18AMThe positive outcome may be that I/we check our motives on some of the more contentious topics. I admit to having an axe to grind sometimes, along the lines of "I can see this, why can't you?".

Maybe we all have that feeling sometimes, but we sure have a responsibility. Maybe we sometimes discuss just for the sake of discussion. Nothing wrong with that but the outcome is often not much of value? Perhaps im totally wrong? Not the first time...

I got a lot of help, information from many players, and that's what I like about this forum.

Leif

Leif
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: savio on Mar 23, 2017, 08:40PMGeezer, we should also think about this forum to be informative and a resource for young people and beginners like you.

Leif

Image Image Image Image

Ouch!
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 24, 2017, 06:59AM Image Image Image Image

Ouch!

Lol. I caught that as well. Thanks, Leif Leif.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

is today compliment's day or something else that I missed is going on? Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonenick on Mar 24, 2017, 07:15AMis today compliment's day or something else that I missed is going on? Image

Yeah.  Good feelings, even for trumpet players Image Image Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: blast on Mar 23, 2017, 02:18PMWhat anybody can do on here is pretty limited.... honestly, I can do things in a one-to-one session that simply cannot be done here... period.
This forum is what it is... and it has incredible value, but also incredible limitations.
Enjoy.

Chris Stearn

Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 24, 2017, 07:06AMLol. I caught that as well. Thanks, Leif Leif.  Image

...Geezer

Ouch!

Im sorry if I offend any of you. Geezer, my name is not Leif Leif....I see what you try to say...think if your first language was French and you have to check all words with google translate?

Everything I write is what I mean, even though something is not easy to understand.

But it is my time to leave this forum.... The discussions will no matter go on  Image

Leif

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: blast on Mar 23, 2017, 02:18PMWhat anybody can do on here is pretty limited.... honestly, I can do things in a one-to-one session that simply cannot be done here... period.
Enjoy.

Chris Stearn

Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 24, 2017, 07:06AMLol. I caught that as well. Thanks, Leif Leif.  Image

...Geezer

Ouch!

Im sorry if I offend any of you. Geezer, my name is not Leif Leif....I see what you try to say...think if your first language was French and you have to check all words with google translate?

Everything I write is what I mean, even though something is not easy to understand.

But it is my time to leave this forum.... The discussions will no matter go on  Image

Leif

Return to “Musical Miscellany”