Conn or Holton as main bass trombone?

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I wonder if some of you can help me make a choice?
I played this with my Conn 60h:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1889167/4%20mars17%20%20besame%2060h%20mtvernon.mp3

Same piece with my Holton TR180 (big 10 inch bell):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1889167/4%20mars17%20%20besame%20180%20mtvernon.mp3

When I listen I'm not sure which is sounding better. They both play and feel very good. The Holton has one more trigger then, can be handy but mostly for my playing I dont use the second trigger that much.

I'm really not sure what I should use as a main horn. I also have the 70h, which I use for some lighter stuff.

Any suggestion with lot of thanks!

Leif
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I own a TR180 and love it so I am biased.  That said, the TR180 on the clip sounded richer to me. 
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I've only heard you play so many times and, while I love a good TR180 myself, you sound more at home on the 60H. It suits you more IMHO.
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

You sounded great on both, but the Holton had the more pleasing sound to me.
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

I liked the Holton more.
ttf_John Thomas

Post by ttf_John Thomas »

I liked the Holton more also.  I have a 181 and love it.  Your sound with that 10 inch bell is like dark chocolate pudding to me-like Andy Griffith used to say mmm, mmm, good.
ttf_Ormsby

Post by ttf_Ormsby »

I enjoyed the Conn version more then the Holton. It has a mellower tone which suits that style  of playing. I have no experience on either of those 2 horns, having played a silver duo gravis forever. fI you can get by with one valve you should stick with the Conn. Not that the Holton didn't sound very good as well  Pretty close call.
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

On THAT song I liked how you sounded on the Conn better.  On a different tune the Holton may work better.  I'd say try not to worry about it and play which ever strikes your fancy at the moment (or seems most suited to the repertoire).

Sometimes I like cream in my coffee.  Sometimes I don't.  I don't have to pick one and stick with it.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I thought they sounded very different, I think its very easy to hear they are different instruments. I dont think i liked one more than the other, neither were bad sounds. I remember a comparison you put up some time ago but between I think it was a mt vernon bach and a pickett mouthpiece? I remember thinking between those recordings one sound was not as good as the other, but you obviously make a great sound on both of these instruments!

I did notice that the sound quality and articulations were clearer on the conn  though. I would choose the conn. But you cant go too wrong with either.
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

----

CONN. It sounded like it was easier for you to fill up.

===
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Hmm..I seem to always have a problem with choices. Thanks all of you dear trombonist! This turn out to be about fifty/fifty but maybe a little more votes for the Holton.

Maybe use both, but then I'm a little afraid things like intonation will suffer. They are very different to play. I have been playing mostly on the Conn, but my Holton feels like it is a very good exemplar. And it has the second trigger... if I ever will need it..

Hmmm... choices has never been my strong side...

Anyway thanks all Image

Leif
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Leif, they are both great! I wish I could make those sounds! I think you were using the Mt Vernon 1 1/2 for both?  For that piece, my vote (by a very small margin) is for the Conn. But for a main bass trombone? I think you have two main bass trombones!
Robert

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

The sound is more YOU than any trombone... Conn, Holton.... whatever...
Both sound good... very good...
You are more at home on the Conn and that shows a little, but in the end, play on what you like... I bet you like one better than the other ?
As you know, I have all these trombones and on each you have to work a little differently, but you are always heading for the same goal.
I am using my old friends Raths now and they get me to the same place.... perhaps more easily than the old horns, but my goal does not change.

Chris Stearn
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: savio on Mar 05, 2017, 01:24AMHmm..I seem to always have a problem with choices. Thanks all of you dear trombonist! This turn out to be about fifty/fifty but maybe a little more votes for the Holton.

Maybe use both, but then I'm a little afraid things like intonation will suffer. They are very different to play. I have been playing mostly on the Conn, but my Holton feels like it is a very good exemplar. And it has the second trigger... if I ever will need it..

Hmmm... choices has never been my strong side...

Anyway thanks all Image

Leif
----

Yup, use both. The differences will help keep you on your game.

===
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I think you so play the Conn better.  Your articulations are snappier, note lengths better - overall better execution.  But I do really like the tone coming out of that Hotlon.  It just sounds like more like a 'solo' sound to me.  I think if you were to dedicate more time on it, your execution would catch up to what you do on the Conn.  All that said, I'm really just splitting hairs though.  Both renditions are top drawer.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Seems to me I should use both, but maybe the Conn as "more" the main horn. I like to play the Holton also.

Leif
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

My wife isn't a trombone player, but has a good ear.  I had her listen blind, not knowing which was which.  She thought the Conn had a smoother tone, and the Holton was more "throaty" or "gruff".  She liked both, but for different reasons.  That she picked out the same things the trombone players did made me proud!
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: gregs70 on Mar 09, 2017, 08:01PMMy wife isn't a trombone player, but has a good ear.  I had her listen blind, not knowing which was which.  She thought the Conn had a smoother tone, and the Holton was more "throaty" or "gruff".  She liked both, but for different reasons.  That she picked out the same things the trombone players did made me proud!

It's always best to listen our wife! Image

Leif

ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I like both, your sound is there, but I like how come through more on the Conn
But the Holton may be a more "modern" bass trombone sound?
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

For this piece I preferred the sound you get on the Conn, I did think the Holton sounded great also, but the Conn just to me sounded more relaxed mellow and fit the tune better.  There are situations and pieces where the Holton sound would probably be a better fit.  Either way you get a great tone on both horns and I would play the one that appeals to you the most. 
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: savio on Mar 09, 2017, 11:01PMIt's always best to listen our wife! Image

Leif

I always listen, I don't always obey!
ttf_John Thomas

Post by ttf_John Thomas »

I had my wife listen also.  She is a musician and chose the Conn, her quote "It was smooth as buttah"

Also, is your background track something on CD that we could buy or something you made with Band in a Box?

Thanks, it is nice to hear your playing.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Leif,

I think you sound amazing on both the 60H and TR-180.  As for a main bass, I think you sound more comfortable on the Conn than the Holton, but its nice to have a double trigger to reach those low C's and B's. Image

Ethan
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: John Thomas on Mar 12, 2017, 09:18AMI had my wife listen also.  She is a musician and chose the Conn, her quote "It was smooth as buttah"

Also, is your background track something on CD that we could buy or something you made with Band in a Box?

Thanks, it is nice to hear your playing.

Thanks! The background tracks is made with band in a box. Simple but ok for teaching and practice.

Leif

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Mar 12, 2017, 05:04PMLeif,

I think you sound amazing on both the 60H and TR-180.  As for a main bass, I think you sound more comfortable on the Conn than the Holton, but its nice to have a double trigger to reach those low C's and B's. Image

Ethan

Thanks Ethan, yes its good to have the holton when suddenly these c and b is required. But for my playing it's not that often. Wish I could learn these false notes but it seems impossible for me to get them work decent.

Leif
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Mar 12, 2017, 05:04PMLeif,

Ethan

Thanks Ethan, yes its good to have the holton when suddenly these c and b is required. But for my playing it's not that often. Wish I could learn these false notes but it seems impossible for me to get them work decent.

Leif

Return to “Musical Miscellany”