Need help understanding this Solo Recommendation sheet.

ttf_Quixotik

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

So last year I did all-state, but this year for my audition, I decided that I would choose a different, more difficult solo.

For Trombone the pieces are as follows

Telemann: F minor Sonata (1st, 2nd movement)

Rimsky-Korsakov: Concerto for Trombone (2nd, 3rd

movement)

Guilmant: Morceau Symphonique

Ferdinand David: Concertino

It also says on the sheet "the solo is to be selected from
standard graded repertoire lists with the minimum level being the easiest acceptable level."

I did Telemann in F minor last year, and so far I've been practicing David, I just want to make sure that that isn't the easiest one. So basically I'm asking what the above quote entails, whether the minimum level is the 1st song, or the last song.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

The David is standard audition requirement for most Pro orchestra's. I asked Dudley Bright about this and his answer was that most people play the opening bars incorrectly!

What does your teacher suggest? he/she will know your playing and thatis what they are paid for!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I would say that the Rimsky-Korsakov is probably the most difficult on that particular list, depending on how you want to take the tempos and what you do for the cadenza. The slow second movement is all too easy to play in a way that sounds gross and the third movement has a few surprises.

The David is not difficult unless you overthink the opening bars. I've heard many a player, in an effort to avoid playing the dotted eigth - sixteenth note motif like a triplet, take it beyond what's on the page and play an even stranger rhythm instead. I think there is only one difficult passage, and that's the descending arpeggio from the Ab - that one is much easier if you tune sharp and play the Ab in first, but using normal positions isn't too bad either.
ttf_Quixotik

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Feb 14, 2017, 04:38AMI would say that the Rimsky-Korsakov is probably the most difficult on that particular list, depending on how you want to take the tempos and what you do for the cadenza. The slow second movement is all too easy to play in a way that sounds gross and the third movement has a few surprises.

The David is not difficult unless you overthink the opening bars. I've heard many a player, in an effort to avoid playing the dotted eigth - sixteenth note motif like a triplet, take it beyond what's on the page and play an even stranger rhythm instead. I think there is only one difficult passage, and that's the descending arpeggio from the Ab - that one is much easier if you tune sharp and play the Ab in first, but using normal positions isn't too bad either.

How would you place David in relation to Telemann, what I did last year?

Also I should also note that only 5 minutes allowed, so I'm not currently decided on which section to play, but I've been playing the first.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I don't know the Telemann very well -- I didn't think it was a trombone piece.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Feb 14, 2017, 12:50PMI don't know the Telemann very well -- I didn't think it was a trombone piece.

Pretty sure they were originally for flute, but are transcribed for trombone and have become a standard in the Solo and Ensemble repertoire.  I'd doubt Telemann wrote anything directly for trombone.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Feb 14, 2017, 12:50PMI don't know the Telemann very well -- I didn't think it was a trombone piece.

Pretty sure they were originally for flute, but are transcribed for trombone and have become a standard in the Solo and Ensemble repertoire.  I'd doubt Telemann wrote anything directly for trombone.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”