Wanted: critical ears

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

So I was a bit bored tonight. I decided to record five different trombones and have listeners either try to guess the horns for fun or maybe just choose what sounds best (both slow and soft vs. loud and high).

There are four different files. The files are “1st notes” (the first two notes from “Here’s that rainy day), “D Note” (a D note from the end of “It’s Alright with me” – CAREFUL – MAY BE LOUD), “fast bone excerpt” (It’s Alright with me), last is “Slow trombone excerpt” (Here’s that rainy day selection). The five instruments are placed closely together in the excerpts – the “D note” and “1st notes” are back-to-back. * each file has the instruments in the same order.

I don’t want this to blow up into a non-scientific experiment argument. THIS IS JUST FOR FUN. Each horn was recorded: Studio projects C3 – Focusrite USB interface – Audacity, zero effect – a raw recording. I stood 6’ away in a room 30’ x 60’. Everything was one take only, chipped and out of tune was accepted. I picked up the horn, hoped the tuning slide was close, and blew. I used the same mouthpiece on each horn – Doug Elliott 101N/C cup (all small bore horns).

You can probably do a search on this website and see what horns I play but try not to look – test your ears. I will let everyone know the horns in a few days. Try not to judge the player but the horn. Image Rapidly changing instruments is tough . Maybe discuss the qualities of each, your preference, any outstanding (or not) qualities.

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a58y93fwulo43y3/AAB2_JhX6ehlspcKg48tUtzNa?dl=0

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

too easy!

#1 Philip Farkas model French Horn
#2 Vuvuzela with D trigger
#3 C melody Sax but with a plastic reed
#4 tricky... this is not really a horn at all, it's cat for "the catbox needs cleaning".
#5 Bb Wagner tuba with Harmon mute

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

too easy!

#1 Philip Farkas model French Horn
#2 Vuvuzela with D trigger
#3 C melody Sax but with a plastic reed
#4 tricky... this is not really a horn at all, it's cat for "the catbox needs cleaning".
#5 Bb Wagner tuba with Harmon mute

Return to “Musical Miscellany”