Audition! Wish me luck (please)

ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

I'm still playing with the massive 180-member community orchestra (2nd book since I've sold my bass). I so much enjoyed my playing experiences with the 'chamber' orchestras over the holidays (1 player per part) that I took a 2nd look around the Orlando area for other opportunities to play in this type of 'standard' instrumentation.

I'll be auditioning for the Orlando Concert Band starting this Thursday for one of the substitute positions. I'll be sitting next to the principal trombone over the next 4 weeks so he can get a feel for my ability on the 1st and 2nd parts. If all goes well, I'll be available to sit in for any existing trombonists who may not be able to perform for any of the upcoming concerts for whatever reason. I would be required to attend 4 rehearsals leading up to the concert(s) where I'm needed. The Orlando Concert Band is winds + percussion (no strings), 70 members and audition-only.

Fortunately the rehearsals between the 2 orchestras don't conflict. Hopefully the concerts don't either!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Good luck!  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I would give my left male part to have a community band around here that actually has auditions instead of letting everyone who can hold an instrument show up and play.
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Jan 24, 2017, 10:51AMI'm still playing with the massive 180-member community orchestra (2nd book since I've sold my bass). I so much enjoyed my playing experiences with the 'chamber' orchestras over the holidays (1 player per part) that I took a 2nd look around the Orlando area for other opportunities to play in this type of 'standard' instrumentation.

I'll be auditioning for the Orlando Concert Band starting this Thursday for one of the substitute positions. I'll be sitting next to the principal trombone over the next 4 weeks so he can get a feel for my ability on the 1st and 2nd parts. If all goes well, I'll be available to sit in for any existing trombonists who may not be able to perform for any of the upcoming concerts for whatever reason. I would be required to attend 4 rehearsals leading up to the concert(s) where I'm needed. The Orlando Concert Band is winds + percussion (no strings), 70 members and audition-only.

Fortunately the rehearsals between the 2 orchestras don't conflict. Hopefully the concerts don't either!

Good luck! You got this! No matter the results, you lose no HP Image. At bare minimum you gain audition experience and get your name spread around. Great job on taking this opportunity! I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

Image Image Image
ttf_JasonDonnelly

Post by ttf_JasonDonnelly »

The Orlando Concert Band plays some nice music. They always have a good low brass section. Best of luck!
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

UPDATE!
Just got word that I was accepted as a substitute for the Orlando Concert Band trombone section. The actual audition was just playing the 1st Trombone parts sitting alongside the principal. The music was pretty straightforward (no crazy keys or crazy rhythms, although there was a song that was 50% in tenor clef). I did feel over-equipped with my Getzen 3047AFR. The principal has a 3BF and there were moments that I stuck out too much. Hopefully with the medium-bore Yamaha I just got I'll be able to blend better.

It's a great opportunity and I'm glad they liked my playing. The guys were super nice and put out a nice sound as a section.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Congrats!  Image
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

that's what's up

ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

that's what's up