A "near crash"?

ttf_sirisobhakya

A "near crash"?

Post by ttf_sirisobhakya »

Have you ever experienced a "near crash" of your horn? (Or mouthpiece, or mute, or anything intrument-related)

I have last Saturday. A section-mate forgot to lock the latches of his case. And when he lifted it up to carry on his shoulder, the whole case opened, with both the lid and the main part 90 degrees to the floor, almost 1 meter above. Luckily the case has additional covers that kept both parts of the horn in place, otherwise it would have been a major disaster.

I haven't forgotten to lock the latches before. But even so, I promise to myself I would double check them from now on, especially because my case has no such additional covers.
ttf_LowrBrass

A "near crash"?

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

A couple years ago, I had my Bach 36BO perched on a Hamilton stand behind me while I cleaned up my music/mutes after a rehearsal.

I heard a metallic "thunk" behind me.
The post-rehearsal chatter suddenly got very, very quiet.

I turned around.
My horn was lying on the floor.

"I'm so sorry," burbled the tuba player. "I don't know what happened."

WOULD YOU BELIEVE--
It landed exactly flush to the side of the slide.
Zero damage that I could detect.
ZERO.

I did trade in my slightly-askew old Hamilton for a sturdy K&M very, very shortly thereafter.
ttf_Zandit75

A "near crash"?

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Not with my Trombone, but I also play guitar, and the OP's comment is exactly what happened to me, I had closed the lid of the case, but only fastened one of the latches. Didn't check before grabbing the case, and headed outside with it. Case flys open, and out comes my near new acoustic guitar!
I must have felt it start to go, as I had started to place the case down, but the lid laid flat on the ground, and the guitar flopped over on top of it. The latches sat a little proud of the edge of the lid, and I have several small indentations on the face of my guitar now.
That was 20+yrs ago now, but I remember the day every time I see the marks. I
ttf_Zandit75

A "near crash"?

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Not with my Trombone, but I also play guitar, and the OP's comment is exactly what happened to me, I had closed the lid of the case, but only fastened one of the latches. Didn't check before grabbing the case, and headed outside with it. Case flys open, and out comes my near new acoustic guitar!
I must have felt it start to go, as I had started to place the case down, but the lid laid flat on the ground, and the guitar flopped over on top of it. The latches sat a little proud of the edge of the lid, and I have several small indentations on the face of my guitar now.
That was 20+yrs ago now, but I remember the day every time I see the marks. I

Return to “Musical Miscellany”