Alto Clef Books/Practice

ttf_zarkosis

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Does anyone know any etude books written in alto clef?
I already know tenor and bass but my alto reading skills are sluggish, and since a lot of older orchestral music is written in alto (even modern composers like shostakovich wrote 2nd trombone in alto  Image) it is sort of frustrating for me to quickly read, and I can't just ignore working on it. So I need more practice with etudes or something of the sort in alto. Does anyone have any suggestions (or should I just keep struggling through excerpts until I get the hang of it)?
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

There's a book by Fink - Introducing the Alto Clef (or something quite similar to that). Good starter for this. As you get better with the clef, the Blazevitch - Clef Studies are a great way to get fluent with  Bass, Tenor and Alto, and changing between them.

Jim Scott
ttf_anonymous

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The Ralph Sauer clef studies book available from Cherry classics might be just the sort of thing you are looking for. Half are in tenor and half are in alto. They're simple but musically satisfying!

https://cherryclassics.com/products/2649

ttf_zarkosis

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

This is helpful thank you guys!  Image
ttf_trombonemetal

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Kauko Kahila Advanced Clef Studies
David Uber 23 Virtuoso Clef Studies
David Uber Symphonic Studies in Alto Clef
Blazevitch alto trombone etudes (I can't remember what it's actually called. there is a whole book that is 90% in alto clef)
ttf_Max Croot

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. Play your tenor clef studies in alto.
ttf_BGuttman

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I want to point out that the Blazhevich studies are available for free on IMSLP, where it's called "School for Trombone".  The exercises are a little tougher than beginner level, but an awful lot of us learned tenor and alto on it.

Another choice is the Simone Mantia "The Virtoso Trombone", which has a section of exercises in bass, tenor, alto, and transposed treble clefs.  Each exercise is in one clef and thus aren't quite as confusing as the Blazhevich.  I think it's also available on IMSLP.
ttf_zarkosis

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Thanks for the info about the Blazhevich book, I studied the Fink book which has all the same etudes with artistic markings so I know almost all of the etudes (like 60+ lol). I'm now reading through a few of the etudes, and its helping me recognize the alto notes better. Essentially all I needed was to have some practice reading it quickly, and since I already know the etudes reading through them just reinforces the clef better (dunno if that made any sense but I think you get the gist). This is exactly what i needed, thanks!
ttf_zarkosis

Alto Clef Books/Practice

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Thanks for the info about the Blazhevich book, I studied the Fink book which has all the same etudes with artistic markings so I know almost all of the etudes (like 60+ lol). I'm now reading through a few of the etudes, and its helping me recognize the alto notes better. Essentially all I needed was to have some practice reading it quickly, and since I already know the etudes reading through them just reinforces the clef better (dunno if that made any sense but I think you get the gist). This is exactly what i needed, thanks!

Return to “Musical Miscellany”