"Legit" as a direction

ttf_eightyeightH

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Booked to play in an amateur production of Sister Act. The book has some odd directions, most of which are self explanatory (a pair of glasses means watch for the MD cue, I think)

But what does "legit" as a direction mean? Straight, no vibrato is what I'm thinking.
ttf_Joe_Guarr

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_Joe_Guarr »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Aug 24, 2017, 12:31PMBooked to play in an amateur production of Sister Act. The book has some odd directions, most of which are self explanatory (a pair of glasses means watch for the MD cue, I think)

But what does "legit" as a direction mean? Straight, no vibrato is what I'm thinking.

Back in my younger days -  before the ascendance of jazz in academic music programs -  there were two kinds of music (no, not country AND western),  jazz and legit. My guess is that they are asking for a more classical sound; no swing, "modern" vibrato, etc. So my guess is you're on the right track. Never seen that before myself.
ttf_timothy42b

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Could it be handwritten legato instead of legit?  Some of those copies are hard to read. 
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Legit means you actually play those notes. The sections before and after you can just pretend and move your slide.  Image
ttf_Burgerbob

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Play in a more orchestral style. There's no value judgement to that marking, it's just a style mark.
ttf_Stewbones43

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Play it as I taught you, if you can remember that far back!  Image

Cheers

Stew
ttf_eightyeightH

"Legit" as a direction

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

I can barely remember what I did yesterday  Image
ttf_eightyeightH

"Legit" as a direction