Contrabass tuning opinions

ttf_MadBone88

Post by ttf_MadBone88 »

Hey folks,

Shopping for a contra and wanted to get some opinions on tuning. I'd appreciate any pros/cons of both F/C/Db/A tuning and the more European style of F/Bb/Eb/? 

Thanks!

Tim
ttf_Toddbrubaker

Post by ttf_Toddbrubaker »

I use the "American" tuning F/C/Db/A, as it makes going back and forth between bass and contra a little easier.  The intervals are the same, and although you have to stretch a bit to get a low Gb in tune, everything else sits nicely in 4th position or closer.

You use your valves more on a contra since you can't really get anything past a 5th position unless you have stretchy arms, and the pitches center nicely on my Rath R90 with the valves.

I've seen guys use both tuning setups, but that is the one that works best for me!
ttf_johnstad

Post by ttf_johnstad »

I also use the American Tuning system on my Kanstul. Perfect 4th down the whole horn.

And yes, low G flat/ F sharp is the tricky note.  You just have to own it.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

I didn't know there was an American system. Anyway, I set the Rath up so it could be used with pretty much ANY tuning... You get to choose.

Chris Stearn
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

I didn't know there was an American system. Anyway, I set the Rath up so it could be used with pretty much ANY tuning... You get to choose.

Chris Stearn

Return to “Musical Miscellany”