Puccini, Tosca - circles over notes

ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

A friend just posted to Facebook the following images of a trombone part from Puccini's Tosca, asking what the circles over/under the notes mean:

My best guess is that it's similar to when English composers write (unnecessarily and not always well-informedly) "(pedal)" over a note - something of a request about tone quality. But I really don't know.

Anyone run across the answer to this one? I have played Tosca before, but if I found out the answer then, it hasn't stuck in my head...
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I believe those notes are supposed to be "bell tones" because if I remember correctly they sound a little like church bells.  Maybe that's what the circles are?
ttf_eightyeightH

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

On a natural horn, it means play it open (i.e. Not stopped). I can't see the relevance for a trombone.

If the previous notes were con sord, take the mute out. If they weren't, play the note without putting your hand in the bell.

I note the version on ismlp doesn't have these markings  Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I posted the pic to the Facebook Bass Trombone group. Perhaps someone will recognize it, although Bruce's answer sounds plausible.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Many answers suggested on the Facebook Bass Trombone group but none terribly satisfying.

The most likely seems to be that it is an orchestrator's mistaken notion for indicating a pedal tone, as if the written pitch was not enough?

In the full score these circles appear nowhere but in the trombone I,II,II parts and there are several low Fs that do not have the circles.

They also do not appear at all for the pedal Bbs and low Fs in the Bass Trombone part.

In line with Bruce's "bell" theory, there are church bells in the score playing Bb and F at these sections.
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Open plunger mute ?

Sorry, I'll get my coat....
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jun 18, 2017, 08:34AM
In line with Bruce's "bell" theory, there are church bells in the score playing Bb and F at these sections.

Try as I might, I am unable to make a pedal sound even remotely bell like.

Pray share the secret!

(I can make a pretty loud fart sound though.) 
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jul 05, 2017, 06:22AMTry as I might, I am unable to make a pedal sound even remotely bell like.

Pray share the secret!

My guess was that it's intended as reinforcement rather than duplication.  All the bass instruments are doing that Bb-F pattern and perhaps the hope was that they would all blend together with the bell sound on top.   Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jul 05, 2017, 06:22AMTry as I might, I am unable to make a pedal sound even remotely bell like.

Pray share the secret!

Try on a bass trombone with a big mouthpiece.  Works a bit better.

Or use a Cimbasso where you aren't playing a pedal.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Pray share the secret!

Try on a bass trombone with a big mouthpiece.  Works a bit better.

Or use a Cimbasso where you aren't playing a pedal.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”