Audition Tomorrow

ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted on here.

I have my audition for MYS tomorrow, and was wondering what you guys do during auditions.

My requirements are my solo (David Concertino), excerpt (Ride of The Valkyries), Scales (all major and 3 types of minors, two octaves with arpeggios), and sight reading.

I feel that I am mostly prepared, but I'm pretty nervous as it is right now. I've never done an in person audition before as sad as it is. With the digital age, all of my auditions involved sending a tape in. My audition is at 1:10 and I plan on getting there at least 45 minutes early to practice. I really do hope I do well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
ttf_Dombat

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Dombat »

Play your own game! The best thing about auditions are that you will be heard and are there make music. Don't try and immitate thr warm ups around you or.the David being blasted from the room next door. Follow your plan (good focused and slow warm up with as much or little playing of the works that YOU need).
When you go in. Take your time again. They are there to hear YOU! If it is an open panel, smile and say good afternoon. Be human and be musical.
Play music and enjoy the sound you make. Counting every mistake is just useless.
Have fun and toi toi toi.
ttf_uncle duke

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Keep in mind that you're only as good as you practice.  Some luck won't hurt either.

If you can remember this old saying of mine - say to yourself right before it's time to play that nobody is here and nobody is watching.  Now just play like one of your best practice sessions and adjust to the room acoustics as soon as you can.
ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I would personally try to arrive earlier that that, especially if it's in a venue you haven't been to before, so you can scout ahead for everything (audition room, warm-up rooms, bathrooms...) and feel relaxed and at home there. To me at least, it always goes a lot better when I feel confident in the space, like I owned the venue instead of being an intimated guest there.

I usually try to arrive early enough that I can do a bit of meditation between warm-up and audition time, emptying my mind and focusing on the sound I want to make (and not on the excerpts/notes I have to play), either through a mental aural image, or through one or two words, or a visual image that inspires me, etc.
ttf_BGuttman

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quixotik:  You got this.  Play your best and it all will fall into place. Image

Imagine yourself playing the best audition ever and just follow your mind.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

You've already practiced.  Get there early, but not to "practice.". Just warm up enough so you're ready to do your best.
ttf_uncle duke

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Just remembered something.  Depending on the car trip and road conditions water in the horn hiding already can be displaced from the bouncing around.  Check your horn for water that has moved - don't wanna make a mess in front of the judges..
ttf_afugate

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on May 19, 2017, 07:32PMYou've already practiced.  Get there early, but not to "practice.". Just warm up enough so you're ready to do your best.

^^^ This! ^^^

Preparation is the key.  The first year our daughter played the trombone she prepared for the district-wide honor band audition. She worked diligently each day and during the last 2 weeks before the audition, we spent time practicing entering a room, setting up, breathing / blowing test notes before playing, etc.  In other words, she practiced the performance.

Fast forward to the day of the audition.  We arrive early.  The warm up room is the typical crazy zoo.  Loud noises coming from all directions.  Kids everywhere working on the tryout material.  Our daughter got out her horn, did her basic warm up and ran the audition material once.  Then she asked if she could go play with her friends.  We let her go play.

When we were in line, she was a little nervous, mostly from the uncertainty of doing something new.  We told jokes to pass the time and had all the kids in line chuckling.  When she came out of the room, we asked how she thought she had done.  She replied, "You know what, dad?  I was nervous at first, but as soon as I started playing the notes just came out of the horn!"

Afterward, we left to celebrate.  She was puzzled and asked why we were leaving before the placement list was posted.  We told her that we were celebrating her preparation.  And that was far more important than the opinions of a couple of judges.  (Yes, she did place first chair.  Image)

Yep.  I'm proud. Image  She's worked hard ever since.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Thanks guys. I'm on in an hour. See you on the other side.
ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Well it happened.

I was greeted by Manny, a trumpet player in the MN orchestra. It's what I expected. My excerpt seemed better than my solo. The sight reading was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. And luckily, he didn't choose too hard of scales. It was just A flat major and F melodic minor. He said that I had one of the best tones he had heard, which was nice. However, he mentioned that my lack of consistency was holding me back. He said I was doing incredible in some parts, but weak in some of the harder places of david. He said if I had consistency I would be miles ahead of everyone. I guess it just leads back to me, I not only need to practice more but I need to use more practice time more efficiently.

I'm not really sure what happens now, I won't find out until June 9, but it seems that my chances are pretty slim.
ttf_Ellrod

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Once I had to audition for a guitar spot at a jazz camp.

I went to my physician, who, it turned out, had a sister who was a professional violist. He had no issues prescribing some propranolol (and some Ativan to help me sleep).

So, I get to the camp and I am to go straight to the rehearsal hall where the auditions are going to start. I begin to obsess about if I take the dope too soon it'll wear off by the time I'm supposed to play but if I wait too long, I'll be done before it kicks in.

Anyway, I take a pill and go to the audition. They're auditioning rhythm sections, so I set up with guys who are from Germany who call a tune I don't know, and I'm plugged into an amp that I'm unfamiliar with and I'm sweating bullets. Perspiration is dropping off my nose. I'm like Albert Brooks in Network News.

https://youtu.be/A5xTu6AMxq4

But, inside, there's a quiet, calm voice saying: "Relax. You can only do what you can do."

Anyway, it all turned out fine.

That was 2014. I've still got most of the propranolol left.

The Ativan, on the other hand, was quite effective. When, in the middle of the night, the guy in the next room started screaming "Don't kill me! Don't kill me!", I was able to turn over and go back to sleep without any problem.

One more audition story: I cacked an audition going into second year. The guy hearing me said I wasn't very good. At least, 40 years later (that was in the fall of 1976) that's what I remember. And it's still with me.

ttf_uncle duke

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

i bet you made it.
ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Quote from: uncle duke on Yesterday at 12:38 PMi bet you made it.

It would be nice, but he seemed pretty serious. I really don't know and I don't want to make any assumptions. Only time will tell I guess.
ttf_Quixotik

Audition Tomorrow

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

Quote from: uncle duke on Yesterday at 12:38 PMi bet you made it.

It would be nice, but he seemed pretty serious. I really don't know and I don't want to make any assumptions. Only time will tell I guess.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”