Cost of shipping question

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have several prospective buyers for gig bags with slide stiffener inserts, so no folding. Thought of sending in a box...from western NC to Tuscon,AZ. Quotes I got for ground ship in a 40x15x16 box, UPS, FedEx were both in excess of $100....really. I called and was assured that was correct and that USPO would be marginally less.
I am thinking bubble wrap, stuff in a tuff leaf bag bag, spiral tape and label. The boxes weight 6 pounds at most. Guerrilla pack has to be smaller and less if they'llaccept that.
Any advice/experience?

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I got an Altieri bag shipped with a tag tied to the handles.  It got here.

Of course simply tying a tag to the bag is risky -- what if the tag gets ripped off.  You probably should put a label on the bag with some sturdy tape as well as the tag.

ttf_Ryebone

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Yes, a stripped down version of what I was suggesting...will consult with local PO tomorrow, thanks for the heads up

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Bubble wrap and tape, or just a plastic bag will work.  No extra weight.
ttf_Goddardo

Post by ttf_Goddardo »

Speaking from a position of ignorance, could the issue be the size of the package rather than the weight? Some of the delivery things that I was looking at last week (admittedly in the UK and via air travel) talked about "volumetric weight" - a bigger box can cost more as they cannot fit as many things in to the vehicle.
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: Goddardo on Apr 29, 2017, 11:49PMSpeaking from a position of ignorance, could the issue be the size of the package rather than the weight? Some of the delivery things that I was looking at last week (admittedly in the UK and via air travel) talked about "volumetric weight" - a bigger box can cost more as they cannot fit as many things in to the vehicle.

Bingo!

Most commercial carriers' (including USPS) charge the greater of the actual weight or the dimensional weight (L x W x H / divisor). FedEx's divisor is 139, so a 40x15x16 package weighs in at 69 Lbs; for UPS the divisor is 166, so it's "only" 58 Lbs.
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

OVER SIZE=OS  =$$$$$$$$
  try that  wrap stuff on a roll  like saran  wrap
 wrap it  //some tape  //secured  lables  ///
forget  16x16x 48  boxes  Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: Goddardo on Apr 29, 2017, 11:49PMSpeaking from a position of ignorance, could the issue be the size of the package rather than the weight? Some of the delivery things that I was looking at last week (admittedly in the UK and via air travel) talked about "volumetric weight" - a bigger box can cost more as they cannot fit as many things in to the vehicle.

ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

OVER SIZE=OS  =$$$$$$$$
  try that  wrap stuff on a roll  like saran  wrap
 wrap it  //some tape  //secured  lables  ///
forget  16x16x 48  boxes  Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Musical Miscellany”