Starting at 26 and would make a living of it in the future, realistic or not?

ttf_Dixieland57

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

Hi, I'm a French guy who start trombone at 26, enter in the conservatory 6 month after having started.
In late June I get pass my 1st grade after 2 years (majority need 4 years).
Don't have lots of graduation, always have doing weird short period jobs.
Music is the only thing that I'm feel a little bit gifted for, but don't know if at my age is realistic to make it a living between teaching and gigs.
What do you think?
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

It's a myth that you have to start young.

It's not a myth that you have to put in the work.

Can you devote the next 4 years to practicing 6 hours (or how ever many it takes) a day? Are you doing that already?

I've taught later beginners who have worked a little. The one thing that I notice tends to stunt their development is how much time they have to devote to it. Making a living takes time.

I started getting serious about trombone when I was 15. When I was 19 I was making most of my money from playing - I still had to do odd jobs here and there to scrape by. I didn't have any really special talent for it, I just worked hard. I still do.

It's realistic if you are willing to put in the work.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Depends what kind of gigs you want....

Its possible, definitely, but it would be hard. Very hard actually.

What kind of work did you want to get in to?
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Commit to it 100 per cent for the next 5 years and then re access at  31

Never be in the situation of saying what if !
ttf_Dixieland57

I actually play between 3 and 4 hours everyday plus playing with à Big band plus lessons un the consercatory plus à spare time job
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: vegasbound on Apr 05, 2017, 10:34AMCommit to it 100 per cent for the next 5 years and then re access at  31

Never be in the situation of saying what if !

Yes but 110 per cent!

I think the answer is in you. Ask yourself what you are willing to offer in time and work. If this is something you really want. If you are not sure...you have the answer yourself I think.

Leif
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

As a trombone player who lives in France (Vaucluse) most of the time, I have to say that being a full time musician in France is difficult, unless you are of the very highest standard and live in a large urban area. There just isn't a lot of work for musicians (especially trombone players) for the last few years.  If you can get enough gigs to qualify to be an itinerant musician,(The French will understand this...it would be too complicated to explain it to a non-French musician)you might be able to make enough money to live on.  You would have to qualify every year to get this Government subsidy. If you can do that and have some students as well, you can probably do it.  I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to be realistic about the situation. Age doesn't have a lot to do with it, it's down to talent, contacts and networking.
ttf_Dixieland57

Yeah I know it's hard to have the intermitent status, I hope majority if m'y income us from teaching
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Being a professional musician anywhere isn't easy anymore, but I don't think at your age it's a big factor as long as you can devote the time to get the proficiency, and the credentials.  I've got a couple of friends here in the states with degrees in music who make most of their living teaching private, and class lessons, as well as an occasional paying gig.  It's possible to make a very modest living this way but it is a lot of work.

ttf_Johnston93

Post by ttf_Johnston93 »

If you work your ass off, you can go far.

Just be aware that you'll be competing for jobs against people that already have jobs.

It's a competitive market.

Good luck.
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I started at 16, which is way later than most people start.

I did know how to read piano staffs before and played clarinet in band until 16, so I did have prior musical training.

I think I've just about now caught up to where people usually are at this age, so if I can do it you can too.

Then again, I don't know if I can call myself successful... but either way it I think it is possible.
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I started at 16, which is way later than most people start.

I did know how to read piano staffs before and played clarinet in band until 16, so I did have prior musical training.

I think I've just about now caught up to where people usually are at this age, so if I can do it you can too.

Then again, I don't know if I can call myself successful... but either way it I think it is possible.

Return to “The Business of Music”