deduct hearing aids on taxes

ttf_bubba7753

Post by ttf_bubba7753 »

Can I deduct my hearing aids as a business expense. Any help would be appreciated.
ttf_cigmar

Post by ttf_cigmar »

You can deduct them as a medical expense in the same way you can deduct eyeglasses.
You can also deduct any mileage traveled.
ttf_DaveBb

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

Don't make too much of a fuss - the tax policy wonks might feel for the need to impose a tax on instruments based on decibel output  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I've been reading up on this in preparation for filing this year the last few days. Looks like in order to be a business expense it has to be 'ordinary' and 'necessary'.

Ordinary means that others in the business commonly use it for that purpose and necessary basically means that it can be used for the business (not necessarily that it is indispensable for the business). 

If you get something that has split personal use, you have to document when you are using it for personal use and when you are using it for business use. So, for example, you could purchase a PC and use it for personal use but you'd only be able to deduct the percentage of use you use for the business purpose.  So if you use it for 90% personal stuff you'd only be able to write off 10% of the expense.  From what I've read, this is not worth the trouble.

So if you use hearing aids exclusively for playing trombone, then I would write it off although if you were ever audited you might have trouble proving that it is 'ordinary'. I don't know of anyone using hearing aids to play but I also don't necessarily go around asking someone if they're wearing hearing aids.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

According to Turbo tax the answer is no, these are considered Personal exspenses and not business, they are a valid medical deduction!!
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3892364-can-a-musician-itemize-cost-of-hearing-aid-on-1099-misc 
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

According to Turbo tax the answer is no, these are considered Personal exspenses and not business, they are a valid medical deduction!!
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3892364-can-a-musician-itemize-cost-of-hearing-aid-on-1099-misc 

Return to “The Business of Music”