A trip to Virtuosity Musical Instruments, Boston

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I'd just like to give a shout out to the folks at Virtuosity.  I went there today to test out some Greg Black bass mouthpieces.  Everyone was so friendly; the atmosphere was great.  They pretty much had everything you'd need represented in the store.  More amazingly they had a handful of basses to try out.  What fun!  I played a B502I, I see why Jim likes it.  Not my cup of tea, but a great horn none the less. They also had one of those copies of a Thein F contra.  Yeah, that was a beast.

They also had several tenors - both small and large bore, but those were of little concern to me   Image

Anyway, if you're anywhere near Boston you should seriously stop in.

I didn't walk away empty handed - picked up a GB 1G .312/#2.  What a fantastic piece.

Oh, and their 'practice room' out back where you can test stuff out had great acoustics, just the right mix of reverb and dryness.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Good mouthpiece!!  Image
ttf_Molefsky

Post by ttf_Molefsky »

I was there just this Monday! Super friendly, owner included. Played tenors, basses, and the contra (just to do it). I believe they'll be carrying Shires stuff soon. They also said something about Schilkes with Greenhoe valves(?).
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Yep - he's going to have some Greenhoe basses in at some point (Greenhoe is owned by Schilke now).  He had good things to say about it.
ttf_renbaroque

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

They had a killer player of a small bore trombone the other day when I visited. It was Olds Standard. Who knew? Would have picked it up if I played a small bore tenor at all. They were asking very little, too. Also, a crazy looking screw bell Abilene 6H with hand sanded bell. What a mess of a look, but it played pretty well too. And then, a closet queen vintage King 2B silver sonic. That one was a sight to behold!
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I saw that 2B SS.  It was indeed gorgeous.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I saw that 2B SS.  It was indeed gorgeous.

Return to “The Business of Music”