Post by ttf_anonymous »

ttf_BGuttman

K-State marching band doing what?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Looks kinda racy to me! Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Someone posted the intended chart yesterday on the interwebs, which looks considerably more like the USS Enterprise than this does. So it's probably just sloppy marching, not Stanford-quality marching Image
ttf_Charlie bone

Post by ttf_Charlie bone »

The thing on the left looks like the University of Kansas mascot.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It seemed to me like sloppy marching, but it still would take a dirty mind to think it looked like anything sketchy.  Plus there's absolutely no way they would've actually written sketchy drill.  This should've been a non-issue
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

I find their explanation...

( • _ •)

( • _ •)>⌐◼︎-◼︎

(⌐◼︎_◼︎)

Difficult to swallow.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

At least they didn't have the color guard dressed in white flowing robes running out the top.......

I vaguely remember Stanford doing something like this back in their heyday,  but that was TOTALLY obvious!

This didn't look anything even remotely undesirable,  IMHO!

Eric

ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: boneheaded518 on Sep 07, 2015, 05:14PMIt seemed to me like sloppy marching, but it still would take a dirty mind to think it looked like anything sketchy.  Plus there's absolutely no way they would've actually written sketchy drill.  This should've been a non-issue
There is a wide variety of cultures in college marching bands...  There are many that would not surprise me if it were intentional.  I don't know anything about KSU's band, but the KSU and Mizzou alumns I know are all in favor of this as intentional. 

That said, this just looks like drill that was just barely ready for the first home game, not a thinly veiled joke.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

If one looks at a marching band and sees a Rorschach test, the problem is not the marching band, IMO.
ttf_Rath.of.Conn

Post by ttf_Rath.of.Conn »

Looking at the chart, it seems it was the clarinets who goofed it up:

http://deadspin.com/kansas-state-band-insists-they-were-not-in-dong-formati-1729242566

Still doesn't really answer the question of why the USS Enterprise would attack a giant Space Jayhawk by ramming it in the mouth...   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Rath.of.Conn on Sep 08, 2015, 12:05AMLooking at the chart, it seems it was the clarinets who goofed it up:

http://deadspin.com/kansas-state-band-insists-they-were-not-in-dong-formati-1729242566

Still doesn't really answer the question of why the USS Enterprise would attack a giant Space Jayhawk by ramming it in the mouth...   Image

Knowing college rivalries I do believe their actually goal was accomplished. Now excuse me as I ice my abs after a near life ending laughter attack.
ttf_Douglas Fur

Post by ttf_Douglas Fur »

I think it is a radical environmental statement. The image on the left looks like a Dodo  which is biting a gun. Obviously a metaphor, if you don't respect the environment you will get bit.
DRB
Seola
Creek
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Rath.of.Conn on Sep 08, 2015, 12:05AMLooking at the chart, it seems it was the clarinets who goofed it up:

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Tracz is an idiot for using a mascot of a team they weren't playing. And I don't buy it that it's sloppy marching, the kids altered the show. Bet they get busted for alcohol infractions....
ttf_Eastcheap

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: Rath.of.Conn on Sep 08, 2015, 12:05AMStill doesn't really answer the question of why the USS Enterprise would attack a giant Space Jayhawk by ramming it in the mouth...   Image

Yeah...I don't think it's so much dirty-mindedness as a desperate attempt to make any kind of sense out of the routine.

Still, you have to admit, "IRRUMABO EGO VOS" would be a great team motto.

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

That Enterprise formation would be difficult to hit as a member. It could be intentional, but it's all to easy for it to just be early season.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

So, as an alumnus of the Pride of Wildcatland (a/k/a The Kansas State University Marching Band) I'd like to make a few observations about this tempest-in-a-teapot.

1.  I've seen some intense rivalries (USC- UCLA, Bakersfield High School- East Bakersfield High School, New Mexico- New Mexico State, UTEP- New Mexico State) and I have friends who have been part of some big rivalries (Stanford- Cal, Oregon- Oregon State, Oklahoma- Texas, Oklahoma- Oklahoma State).  As intense as all those rivalries are, they pale by comparison to KU- K-State.  This rivalry divides families in Kansas, and not always in a joking way.  John Wooden was brought out to do the color commentary at a KU at K-State basketball game in Manhattan (at Ahearn Field House, for my fellow Wildcats out there).  Wooden said he'd never seen anything like this.

2.  Bottom line: taken as groups, these schools hate each other.  I had friends at KU, but I was grad student (things are a little different for grad students). 

3.  It is no surprise to me at all that the Pride would decide to use the Jayhawk as a "Strange and Dangerous Space Alien".  I'd actually be surprised if they'd chosen something else.  It's possible the kids deliberately messed with the formation, but if they'd done that I think they would have gone farther and been more explicit.

4.  I watched the clip without knowing what the program was.  I was able to immediately identify the Jayhawk as what it was, and I said, "Self -- that looks like a messed up attempt at a Starship Enterprise formation.  I wonder what that show was about?"  It was recognizable even without the program.

5.  The folks at the University of Kansas ought to grow a pair.  It's a big rivalry, and there is precious little cooperation between the schools.  The State of Kansas went 1-1 against the State of South Dakota and it was KU that got the beat-down by SDSU.  Don't get mad, get even: when this year's game rolls around, have your Jayhawk eat a Wildcat or something.

6.  Those who looked at the clip and saw something sexual really need to get lives.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Dennis Clason on Sep 10, 2015, 01:59PM
6.  Those who looked at the clip and saw something sexual really need to get lives.

I haven't been able to find a clip that shows the whole show, but I'm wondering what purpose it served to have the warp nacelles turn circular, and for the entire not-shaped-like-the-Enterprise formation ram itself into the Jayhawk's mouth. Were they morphing into something different? I don't think so. It looks to me like that formation was well planned out.

That wasn't entropy. That was synchronized directional movement.

Now excuse me while I get back to my life.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Sep 10, 2015, 03:35PM
That wasn't entropy. That was synchronized directional movement.

Now excuse me while I get back to my life.

Snap crackle pop!

I do agree that there was some planned teamwork in the morphing of that formation. If not then those are some dead head marchers not paying a lick of attention to their drills.... Doesn't take someone who is perverse to see something wrong with how that was carried out.

Speaking of which I should get back to life too  Image

ttf_Dennis Clason

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

Quote from: The Sackbutist on Sep 10, 2015, 04:24PMSnap crackle pop!

I do agree that there was some planned teamwork in the morphing of that formation. If not then those are some dead head marchers not paying a lick of attention to their drills.... Doesn't take someone who is perverse to see something wrong with how that was carried out.

I'll have to look again.  Maybe I didn't see the whole clip. 
ttf_djlovell

Post by ttf_djlovell »

....hate to break it to you, but I go here and marched that show. Many people don't pay attention 😂
ttf_djlovell

Post by ttf_djlovell »

....hate to break it to you, but I go here and marched that show. Many people don't pay attention 😂

Return to “Other Musicians and Ensembles”