Brass Quintet

ttf_anonymous

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wondering if..................

There are not many; and if found not very useful, brass quintet forums. I have found that many of the brass quintets I have seen are run by trombonists. Seems trombonist are not just clowns in the back of the band but the real doers of getting music done. Probably why this is such a great forum.

Wondering if we could have a section started on brass quintets and the music of brass quintets?

Thank you
Jeff Whitbey
ttf_SilverBone

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I run one quintet.  Am a member of another that is run democratically.  One thing that would be useful to discuss is repertoire.  I buy a lot of music and get an occasional dog. 
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

The one I play in is run by a trumpet player, a retired band director.  He is the only current or former music professional in the group.  We are odd in that we have no French horn.  When it formed out of the local community band they couldn't get a French horn so the leader transcribed the horn parts into bass clef.  Sometimes it's a challenge to play the horn part on trombone considering the range and that they have four valves instead of a slide, especially on the harder stuff.
ttf_Eastcheap

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: gregs70 on Nov 01, 2014, 05:57PMWe are odd in that we have no French horn.

The poor horn's the gooseberry in the quintet anyway.  Honestly, I'd rather have an E-flat alto/tenor horn or another trombone.  Mind you, I'd rather cornets than trumpets too.
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Eastcheap, I used to live in Tyler and in DFW.  Wasn't an area I would consider a hotbed of chamber music when I was there  Image
ttf_blast

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_blast »

If people want a go-to for quintet, I can move this to 'other musicians and ensembles' and sticky it so it stays at the top..... yes ??

Chris Stearn
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Better, I can create another board.  Probably something to be taken up by the Mod Squad (Moderators).
ttf_Whitbey

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

That would be fantastic!

Our Quintet has a few things we do that make it work well.
I have the music set up in big band fashion. Each piece is numbered and each player has a full book. That way everyone can help pick what we play. The group does not seem to help pick the music I buy. A few have but that is something I never get much help at. Wish I had more help. I board on this forum would help.
I try to have two and wish for three on a part. So while we play quintet music we have more strength. With two or three on a part we have security if someone is out ill or while we are playing we avoid a lot of train wrecks.
Our group is based out of a Methodist Church. We have members from other churches. We also go and play at the church of our group’s members. This is a lot of fun for a player to bring our group to their church.
Our group has gotten pretty good using this formula. I would love to have a place to share what we have learned and find help at. A good board could also be a place to find new players for a group. As there are not any notable forums for quintets we would probably get some positive traffic.

ttf_Gabe Langfur

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Maybe add a Chamber Music board to the Creation and Performance section?
ttf_Matt K

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Nov 02, 2014, 09:00AMMaybe add a Chamber Music board to the Creation and Performance section?

That would be awesome, great idea.
ttf_marccromme

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_marccromme »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Nov 02, 2014, 09:00AMMaybe add a Chamber Music board to the Creation and Performance section?

Yes, thanks! Very good idea.
ttf_tbones7

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_tbones7 »

Great idea!
ttf_RedHotMama

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I'm not so sure about adding a board for a particular type of music. After all, I'd quite like a jazz board. And a baroque/medieval/Renaissance board. There are just too many types of music. However, a sticky topic sounds like a good idea.
ttf_Eastcheap

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: gregs70 on Nov 01, 2014, 10:28PMI used to live in Tyler and in DFW.  Wasn't an area I would consider a hotbed of chamber music when I was there  Image

There are a lot of musical things going on in North Texas that a majority neither knows nor cares about.  Especially with winds.

I suppose, eventually, the Dallas City Council will get around to murdering WRR and it'll all go completely underground.
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

And here I though that in Texas there were only two kinds of music: Country and Gospel Image Image Image Image
ttf_MrPillow

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Perhaps when you were a young lad  Image
ttf_bhcordova

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 03, 2014, 01:44AMAnd here I though that in Texas there were only two kinds of music: Country and Gospel Image Image Image Image

No Bruce, there is also Western and Blue Grass
ttf_WaltTrombone

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

In Texas, they listen to both kinds of music- Country and Western. Image
ttf_Eastcheap

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Nov 03, 2014, 11:35AMIn Texas, they listen to both kinds of music- Country and Western. Image

I'm pretty sure what's most popular is whatever has that awful missing-fundamental bass line that literally rattles my whole house whenever someone drives by (THUMMM, THUMTHUM...THUMMM, THUMTHUM...THUMMM, THUMTHUM...).

Actually, I kind of suspect that a majority of musicians regularly playing paid gigs are with various conjuntos (norteño, Tejano, etc.), some of which may even feature five members playing brass instruments (hint, hint).
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Eastcheap on Nov 03, 2014, 12:38AMThere are a lot of musical things going on in North Texas that a majority neither knows nor cares about.  Especially with winds.

I suppose, eventually, the Dallas City Council will get around to murdering WRR and it'll all go completely underground.

I drove from Tyler over to Kilgore to play in the trombone choir.  Auditioned for the symphony in Tyler but didn't make it.  Played in a brass quintet in Grapevine and a very good community orchestra in Tarrant County.  I'm just havin' trouble picturing chamber music at First Monday in Canton (a huge flea market, for those who never had the pleasure).  I miss KERA and WRR. 
ttf_Eastcheap

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: gregs70 on Nov 03, 2014, 05:13PMI'm just havin' trouble picturing chamber music at First Monday in Canton

I'm a lot closer to Commerce than Canton.  Big difference, despite Aggies taking over the former.
ttf_Whitbey

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Looks like a Brass Quintet home. Who is in a quintet? Who deals with music?
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Whitbey on Nov 04, 2014, 08:00AMLooks like a Brass Quintet home. Who is in a quintet? Who deals with music?
I have one regular quintet and many ad-hoc groups (I keep a set of books at the ready for these cases).

In the regular quintet I provided the seed music and just about everybody has added to it.  Unfortunately a lot of the "free" stuff on line is usually worth the price (i.e. pretty bad).

I have about $200 worth of quintet music that is currently missing the 2nd Trumpet parts and as a result, I now take the policy of making ONE copy and that's what goes in the folders.  I've talked to a lot of different people about this policy and most are cool with it although there are some that aren't.  Those that want to be that nasty don't get my business.
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 04, 2014, 10:56AMI have one regular quintet and many ad-hoc groups (I keep a set of books at the ready for these cases).

In the regular quintet I provided the seed music and just about everybody has added to it.  Unfortunately a lot of the "free" stuff on line is usually worth the price (i.e. pretty bad).

I have about $200 worth of quintet music that is currently missing the 2nd Trumpet parts and as a result, I now take the policy of making ONE copy and that's what goes in the folders.  I've talked to a lot of different people about this policy and most are cool with it although there are some that aren't.  Those that want to be that nasty don't get my business.

Post what pieces you are missing the 2nd parts for and maybe somebody on the forum can help. 
ttf_SilverBone

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

For all quintet music that I buy (and I have a LOT of quintet music), I always have a master copy archived at home.  Music walks off fairly often from the quintet folders (or maybe the dog eats it or something).

So, my contribution here is: archiving is a must!

On the subject of repertoire, it is unfortunately true that a majority of the free quintet music is worth what you pay for it.  Perhaps we can suggest repertoire here that is worth paying for. 

I find that the arrangements of Zack Smith are nearly all superior.  He has a knack (Zack with a knack?) for spreading the interesting parts around.  You can see his offerings here:

http://www.trumpetunes.com/publications.html

I own most of the jazz/pop arrangements he has, and like almost all of them.  Plus they are very cheap IMO ($10-15 a chart).

I realize that may sound like a commercial, but I have no affiliation with Zack nor do I earn any money from promoting his work.  Maybe I earn some karma points, but that's it.

There are other arrangers that I will usually be happy with (Jack Gale and Paul Nagle come immediately to mind).  Robert Elkjer is also very good, but can be very difficult (he is Joe Alessi's arranger).
ttf_SilverBone

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: gregs70 on Nov 04, 2014, 11:59AMPost what pieces you are missing the 2nd parts for and maybe somebody on the forum can help. 

+1.  I would be surprised if the list did not include something I could help on.
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Incidentally, two of the pieces were by Jack Gale and he offered free copies of the missing parts when I told him (he also agreed with my policy of keeping the masters and putting copies in the folder).  Some were Robert King arrangements and the missing parts were extremely inexpensive.  When I get a chance to dig in those folders (it's been a LONG time) I'll post my list of stuff I'm still missing.

But let this be a lesson to all starting quintets.  Don't pass out your originals.
ttf_hassein

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_hassein »

Just a little Jack Gale anecdote to take away-someone asked Jack what was the difference between a rallentando and a ritardando. He said-"one slows up,the other slows down".
ttf_Whitbey

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Quote from: hassein on Nov 04, 2014, 08:33PMJust a little Jack Gale anecdote to take away-someone asked Jack what was the difference between a rallentando and a ritardando. He said-"one slows up,the other slows down".

That is funny.
ttf_Whitbey

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I am going to add to my notes for my quintet book and post them. Kind of a start of reviews of pieces.

I only give out copies and keep my originals. The book the players have is a nice stack of same size paper with title numbers in the top RH corner.

I have obtained a few out of print tunes that I have then sent the funds to the publisher to purchase legit. So even my stolen music has been paid for. I think I paid to much for the free music.
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

For fun up tempo piece, try the Michael Sweeney arrangement of "Birdland".  Even more fun with the French horn part transposed for tbone. 
ttf_SilverBone

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: gregs70 on Nov 05, 2014, 06:36PMFor fun up tempo piece, try the Michael Sweeney arrangement of "Birdland".  Even more fun with the French horn part transposed for tbone. 

I took a look for this, but gave up after being swamped by listings of a Sweeney arrangement of Birdland for big band.

Perhaps when making a recommendation of a piece in this topic we could include a link?
ttf_gregs70

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: SilverBone on Nov 05, 2014, 11:28PMI took a look for this, but gave up after being swamped by listings of a Sweeney arrangement of Birdland for big band.

Perhaps when making a recommendation of a piece in this topic we could include a link?

Good idea.  I tried to find the source myself but had the same problem.  Turns out the leader of my brass quintet took the big band arrangement from  http://www.mindformusic.com/index.php/big-band and transcribed it for our group.  No wonder I couldn't find it! 
ttf_anonymous

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I play in a grou[p now called "OFPO" (occasional 5 plus one). Started out as a brass quintet,that occasionally got together and played, hence the name. personell changes along the way, current version has 2 french horns (the plus one).
I stated the group a bunch of years ago, we did a few things and it fell by the wayside. Too busy to be the driving force now, one of the trumpet players is organizing, and our Tuba player has written about 1/2 the arrangements we play. Good stuff! Also we have some stuff we bought, and a library that's been sitting on our community concert band archives for years. Looking forward to hearing about good arrangements.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I started a quintet with some other folks 11 years ago. I am the only original member left. We are currently short a 2nd trumpet and have to get a sub. Our problem is that we are fairly good, but not fully professional. Pro players don't want to be in the group because we don't pay them to rehearse and weekend warrior usually can't hack the parts. We are lucky to have a lead trumpet player who has a music degree and then turned to the finance world and makes good money there, so he in not really in it for the money. The other trumpet player was the tuba player's son, but he moved about 3 hours away to take a teaching job. And the horn chair seems to fluctuate. We had a guy who used to be in the Air Force band back in the 60's. He quit on us once and then came back, but never seems to be able to make a lot of the gigs, so we have a girl who is a recent graduate playing horn most of the time. She is good, but needs to play louder most of the time.

We have about 7 standing gigs a year - 4 graduations and 3 church services. Plus we do the occasional concert/recital when we are asked. We could probably do more playing if I did some marketing. I love playing quintet music. You can't hide and everyone has to nail it.

We have a quite a few of Jack Gale's arrangements in the book. Also an original tune of his called "Golden Gate" which is a fun little tune that sounds like gospel meets rock and roll.

We have a FB page with a few videos if anyone wants to give a listen:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sparkle-City-Brass-Quintet/175508059141790?sk=videos

ttf_MikeBMiller

Brass Quintet

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I started a quintet with some other folks 11 years ago. I am the only original member left. We are currently short a 2nd trumpet and have to get a sub. Our problem is that we are fairly good, but not fully professional. Pro players don't want to be in the group because we don't pay them to rehearse and weekend warrior usually can't hack the parts. We are lucky to have a lead trumpet player who has a music degree and then turned to the finance world and makes good money there, so he in not really in it for the money. The other trumpet player was the tuba player's son, but he moved about 3 hours away to take a teaching job. And the horn chair seems to fluctuate. We had a guy who used to be in the Air Force band back in the 60's. He quit on us once and then came back, but never seems to be able to make a lot of the gigs, so we have a girl who is a recent graduate playing horn most of the time. She is good, but needs to play louder most of the time.

We have about 7 standing gigs a year - 4 graduations and 3 church services. Plus we do the occasional concert/recital when we are asked. We could probably do more playing if I did some marketing. I love playing quintet music. You can't hide and everyone has to nail it.

We have a quite a few of Jack Gale's arrangements in the book. Also an original tune of his called "Golden Gate" which is a fun little tune that sounds like gospel meets rock and roll.

We have a FB page with a few videos if anyone wants to give a listen:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sparkle-City-Brass-Quintet/175508059141790?sk=videos

Return to “Other Musicians and Ensembles”