Shrek the musical trombone book

ttf_JimR

Post by ttf_JimR »

For those that have played this book (bass/tenor double?) how did you like the music?

Have an opportunity to play it, but not sure I want to spend the time.  Much depends on the music itself.

What do you think?  Play it?

Thanks
Jim

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I personally don't know the book or the music, but I would say do it if rehearsals aren't that far. Even if they don't pay (community theatre, etc.), then maybe after you're done playing the final show, somebody might say "Hey, I need a bone to play Shrek, and it pays a boatload of money, and a bonus if you're good!" then you can jump on that, and play the book with no problem since you got it under your belt. I played the bone book for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, but there was no pay. I did it anyway because I like to have as many pit bone books in my arsenal so I can be ready for a show where a bone might be needed at the last second, and knowing the book helps a lot. I have not got called to Form by another company yet, but I did get a wedding gig out of it since the pit director needed a bone. And for the wedding, the music is easy quartet etudes, pays well, and I play under 10 pieces. So even if the show doesn't pay, it might pay in the future.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

You can hear some samples on the Shrek page at MTI.

http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000372

My friend Bruce Eidem did it on Broadway, and he said it wasn't really a tenor/bass double. Seems that when it was in previews in Seattle, the orchestrator wanted to give the trombone player there some extra $$$, so he made it tenor trombone/tenor with F attachment. When they came to NY, Bruce said it was all playable on a straight tenor, but he was glad to have doubling pay.

It may have changed since then in the parts they send out for rental, but that was the deal back then.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I played this National Tour. It's a blow but not unreasonable. Sounds effects on tour were LOUD so we always had to play LOUDLY! More tenor than bass but there are a few nice/challenging moments on the bass trombone. embrace the challenge and the income!!
ttf_JimR

Post by ttf_JimR »

Thanks
If there was "income" it would be a no brainer!  This particular community group is not paid.  Ugh.

Jim
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I just got hired to play with for a local private school musical. The MD is the horn player in my quintet, so I had an in. They are renting out the really nice college auditorium in town and paying $600 for 7 services, so it should be fun.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just did this one - it's a really fun show. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there aren't too many spots where you need a bass. F attachment definitely a good idea, though. I didn't have room to have my bass bone so I just swapped out my mouthpiece for a sustained fff pedal A!

Incidentally, MikeBMiller - is someone playing the horn part? If not, there are a couple little solo lines you might want to cover. I can send details if you're interested.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: ahconway on Feb 01, 2017, 05:04PM
Incidentally, MikeBMiller - is someone playing the horn part? If not, there are a couple little solo lines you might want to cover. I can send details if you're interested.

I don't know, but I don't recall seeing a horn player on the email list they sent out. The MD is actually a horn player.
ttf_MikeBMiller

I think they have a HS student playing the horn part. I hope they are good.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Nope. Kid is probably the worst horn players I have ever heard in my life. But he seems to be good at texting.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 05, 2017, 07:56PMNope. Kid is probably the worst horn players I have ever heard in my life. But he seems to be good at texting.

Most of them seem to be.  I hope he's not a "divine horn player" as in "man blows in, God knows what comes out". Image
ttf_MikeBMiller

In 2 hours tonight, I don't think I heard one single correct lick from him. Even the MD tells me he doesn't care about playing horn, which makes me wonder why he is even there.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

A couple of years ago, I sat in with a orchestral group that included a variety of skill levels including -- you guessed it -- a middle school french horn player.  This kid had heart and gusto.  And the softest he would play was about mezzo forte.  Fortissimo was his normal volume.   Image  And he played with all the usual middle school player issues.  (But at least he didn't text!  Image)

At the second rehearsal, the MD had switched instrument placement and I wound up sitting to the right of this kid.  During the break, I went to my car and got my earplugs.  I put in my left one, just so I could hear something besides poorly played french horn.  At the end of the rehearsal, I asked the MD if we could switch back and explained why.  He agreed, thankfully.

Fast forward a few years -- he's sitting third chair in our Central Oklahoma honor band.  And he's learned to control his playing.

--Andy in OKC

ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 05, 2017, 08:31PMIn 2 hours tonight, I don't think I heard one single correct lick from him. Even the MD tells me he doesn't care about playing horn, which makes me wonder why he is even there.

Turns out this kid was in 8th grade and had only been playing for a year or two. I thought he was high school age because this is pretty tall. So I apologize for ragging on him so badly.

This orchestra was interesting. They had about 6 junior high age kids in the orchestra that really had no business trying to play this book. I was the only bone, but they had one adult trumpet player who is a great player and does all the shows around here. Then they had 2 junior high players on either side of him with their book marked to only play the easy stuff. Same thing for the flute part - 1 adult and 2 kids all playing the same book. I guess it is good experience for the kids (maybe), but it doesn't help the sound of the group to have a good player doubled by a bad player. But hey, it's their school and they can do whatever they want.
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

ttf_MikeBMiller

Mostly. The book is fun to play. The whole band got a little ticked when they said call time on Thursday was 5:30 and they didn't start running the show until 7.The kids in the cast did very well. I don't remember a single missed line the whole weekend. There was a sophomore playing the donkey and he was probably the best actor of the whole bunch. Basically this show paid for a new rear wheel for my mountain bike.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Mostly. The book is fun to play. The whole band got a little ticked when they said call time on Thursday was 5:30 and they didn't start running the show until 7.The kids in the cast did very well. I don't remember a single missed line the whole weekend. There was a sophomore playing the donkey and he was probably the best actor of the whole bunch. Basically this show paid for a new rear wheel for my mountain bike.

Return to “Performance”