Trummy Young and Louis Armstrong

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am fascinated by the difference between Trummy's playing when he first started with Armstrong and later in the 12 years he was in the group. When he began, he was coming out of a background with Lunceford and being influenced by modernism, i.e., Bop. Over the years with Louis, I believe Trummy developed a style of his own that put him in a class all his own. In other words,
no one comes close to Trummy in that idiom/genre.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: G. Martin Nichols on Oct 11, 2017, 05:18AMI am fascinated by the difference between Trummy's playing when he first started with Armstrong and later in the 12 years he was in the group. When he began, he was coming out of a background with Lunceford and being influenced by modernism, i.e., Bop. Over the years with Louis, I believe Trummy developed a style of his own that put him in a class all his own. In other words,no one comes close to Trummy in that idiom/genre.

Lol. 12 years. That's over twice as long as I have been playing, so I would expect him to advance significantly!

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I also believe he was exceptional in every way! And there aren't nearly enough recordings of him!

...Geezer

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: G. Martin Nichols on Oct 11, 2017, 05:18AMI am fascinated by the difference between Trummy's playing when he first started with Armstrong and later in the 12 years he was in the group. When he began, he was coming out of a background with Lunceford and being influenced by modernism, i.e., Bop. Over the years with Louis, I believe Trummy developed a style of his own that put him in a class all his own. In other words,
no one comes close to Trummy in that idiom/genre.

My belief is that Trummy was one of the very important links from early big band trombone solos into Bebop. His solo on the Lunceford band 'Margie' is very typical of the style he took into the 'All Stars'. We have talked about this before on the forum:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,99131.0.html

I do not believe this solo style changed much over the years with Louis, because it was already so advanced, particularly in regard to the excitement he can create in a solo.

What did change slightly over the years with the All Stars was his Dixieland Ensemble style . He tended to play less notes and was the perfect foil for Louis' lead line. In fact, like Teagarden, he showed us all a new approach to playing Dixieland Ensemble, rather than the New Orleans lines epitomised by Kid Ory.

Trummy was a huge influence on the European Trad Boom of the 1950/60s. He in fact toured there at the end of the 50s and I was lucky enough to see him play with the All Stars in the Albert Hall. He was perfect in his trombone role and also the consummate entertainer.

I know that my trombone style for Traditional jazz was hugely influenced by Trummy, along with Teagarden and Vic Dickenson. I like to think my playing is a mix of what I learned from the styles of those players. Not forgetting The Kid, of course, because he was the pioneer.   
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

In addition to Trummy's work with Louis, I like the solo albums he put out in the 70's.
I also really like his replacement in the All Stars; Tyree Glenn
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: Arrowhead99 on Oct 11, 2017, 05:38PMIn addition to Trummy's work with Louis, I like the solo albums he put out in the 70's.
I also really like his replacement in the All Stars; Tyree Glenn

I know this topic is about Trummy Young, but it is a long time since Tyree Glenn's name came up. I also am a fan of his playing with the All Stars. But I was already familiar with his playing from his Duke Ellington days. Also from a recording "Tyree Glenn at the Embers" which I got in the early 60s from the UK World Jazz Record Club. I still have that LP and it is absolutely great! Image

A few years back I met Tyree Glenn Jr on a jazz internet forum which no longer exists. Tyree Jr is a sax player and lives and plays funky rhythm and blues in Germany.

http://www.tyree-glenn-jr.de/

We corresponded a lot about Tyree Snr and his days with the All Stars and he sent me some recordings of Tyree Snr which were not available from conventional jazz label sources. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Oct 11, 2017, 10:59PMI know this topic is about Trummy Young, but it is a long time since Tyree Glenn's name came up. I also am a fan of his playing with the All Stars. But I was already familiar with his playing from his Duke Ellington days. Also from a recording "Tyree Glenn at the Embers" which I got in the early 60s from the UK World Jazz Record Club. I still have that LP and it is absolutely great! Image

A few years back I met Tyree Glenn Jr on a jazz internet forum which no longer exists. Tyree Jr is a sax player and lives and plays funky rhythm and blues in Germany.

http://www.tyree-glenn-jr.de/

We corresponded a lot about Tyree Snr and his days with the All Stars and he sent me some recordings of Tyree Snr which were not available from conventional jazz label sources. 

Grah,

Why don't you start a thread about Tyree Sr and post some info. I bet a LOT of us would love reading it! I have a couple of his albums. He was terrific! So expressive!

...Geezer
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

Whoah, would be great to hear those Tyree Sr. tapes.
I like the Tyree Glenn at the Roundtable album. He just had such a nice approach to the trombone.

For Trummy...I have the Teddy Buckner and his All Stars album, which has great trad jazz tracks with great playing by Trummy (as always).....
ttf_G. Martin Nichols

Post by ttf_G. Martin Nichols »

I didn't see these replies til now. [Is there no notification system?]
Grah wrote:
"I do not believe this solo style changed much over the years with Louis, because it was already so advanced, particularly in regard to the excitement he can create in a solo.

What did change slightly over the years with the All Stars was his Dixieland Ensemble style . He tended to play less notes and was the perfect foil for Louis' lead line. In fact, like Teagarden, he showed us all a new approach to playing Dixieland Ensemble, rather than the New Orleans lines epitomised by Kid Ory."

It is his ensemple playing with Armstrong that I mainly was thinking of when I wrote [though I include his solo work]. If one compares what it was when he first joined the "All Stars" with what it became, you will see a vast difference IMO.

ttf_G. Martin Nichols

Post by ttf_G. Martin Nichols »

I didn't see these replies til now. [Is there no notification system?]
Grah wrote:
"I do not believe this solo style changed much over the years with Louis, because it was already so advanced, particularly in regard to the excitement he can create in a solo.

What did change slightly over the years with the All Stars was his Dixieland Ensemble style . He tended to play less notes and was the perfect foil for Louis' lead line. In fact, like Teagarden, he showed us all a new approach to playing Dixieland Ensemble, rather than the New Orleans lines epitomised by Kid Ory."

It is his ensemple playing with Armstrong that I mainly was thinking of when I wrote [though I include his solo work]. If one compares what it was when he first joined the "All Stars" with what it became, you will see a vast difference IMO.

Return to “Performance”