ttf_jalapeno

Please a recommendation for Trio

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Please a recommendation for a nice/good/cool Trio

Time limit less than 10 minutes  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Poulenc for trumpet, horn, and trombone.

Or do you need a trombone trio?
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Trombone trio !
ttf_MTbassbone

Post by ttf_MTbassbone »

Nice, good, and cool....you want it all.  All kidding aside, there are quite a few options. 

Lynn, Bryan- Bachy Things, Steak and Kidney Supper, and Ba De Do Dup
Moulert, Raymond- Suite pour trois trombone à coulisse (1939)
Geminiani, Francisco-Concerto Grosso from Sonata, Op. 5, No. 3 (c. 1732) (arr. Morris)
Hidas, Frigyes- Alteba Trio, Interludio
LaFosse- Suite Impromptu

I don't think any of these are going to less than 10 minutes.

You could play Britten's Fanfare for St. Edmundsbury (1959).  This is for 3 trumpets, but you can transpose for trombone.  It works well.

I love trios.  I really feel it an overlooked part of the literature, and in my mind more rewarding to play. 

ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: MTbassbone on Yesterday at 11:56 AMNice, good, and cool....you want it all.  All kidding aside, there are quite a few options. 

Lynn, Bryan- Bachy Things, Steak and Kidney Supper, and Ba De Do Dup
Moulert, Raymond- Suite pour trois trombone à coulisse (1939)
Geminiani, Francisco-Concerto Grosso from Sonata, Op. 5, No. 3 (c. 1732) (arr. Morris)
Hidas, Frigyes- Alteba Trio, Interludio
LaFosse- Suite Impromptu

I don't think any of these are going to less than 10 minutes.

You could play Britten's Fanfare for St. Edmundsbury (1959).  This is for 3 trumpets, but you can transpose for trombone.  It works well.

I love trios.  I really feel it an overlooked part of the literature, and in my mind more rewarding to play. 

Haha there supposed to be an "or" in there somewhere

I'll check and see if the library has those

Thanks
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Our quartet sometimes resorts to trios when someone is missing.

Suite from Mount of Olives by Beethoven is nice Beethoven-ish, not super outstanding. Very musical.

There's an arrangement of Bugler's Holiday for 3 bones, but you might need a piano for that.

Jeff's Jaunt by David Stephen Powell is kind of jazzy, a little more technically difficult than some of the others.

Loch Lomond arranged by Kevin Stephenson is one of our favorites, beautiful traditional Scottish(?) tune.

Triotje by Michael Eversden is modern-ish, 4:35 long, a lot of fun, some challenging time/rhythm stuff.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I was recently exposed to a lot Spanish renaissance music including several pieces for 3 voices playable by three trombones as is or down à fifth or octave; some of the most beautiful music I've ever played.

Staying in early music ; Speer has a couple sonatas for 3 trombones.

Look up Will Kimball's web page on early trombone repertoire for more of those.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We used to play a Trio for Trombones by Beethoven which was actually his Abschiedgesang (published by Kendor -- don't remember who set it).  It's in two parts and the second part is a fugue opened by the bass trombone.  If the bass trombone gets too excited and takes it kinda fast, it can be quite a ride!

There's also a setting of the Mendelssohn Angel Trio from Elijah (Lift thine Eyes) for three trombones.  Short, but very tuneful.  Again, it has a dull title like "Terzett" (also published by Kendor -- what's with these guys?).
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 21, 2017, 07:00AMWe used to play a Trio for Trombones by Beethoven which was actually his Abschiedgesang (published by Kendor -- don't remember who set it).  It's in two parts and the second part is a fugue opened by the bass trombone.  If the bass trombone gets too excited and takes it kinda fast, it can be quite a ride!

There's also a setting of the Mendelssohn Angel Trio from Elijah (Lift thine Eyes) for three trombones.  Short, but very tuneful.  Again, it has a dull title like "Terzett" (also published by Kendor -- what's with these guys?).

Just reminded me with your mention of Beethoven, the Bruckner Aequale.
ttf_Bcschipper

Post by ttf_Bcschipper »

Speer Sonata A minor. Very nice piece. Here is a recording:
http://youtu.be/ByYKG8kaWxM

Speer Sonata E minor. I couldn't find a recording on youtube.

Pergolesi Sonata No. 4. Here is a recording of a rehearsal with Alessi:
http://youtu.be/oZwe1ktVaqs

ttf_cbartels

Post by ttf_cbartels »

My trio, Triangulum, commissioned about a half dozen pieces this past year. If you are interested in performing works by living composers I can get you in contact with one of them!
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I have built a collection of trombone trios due to the sudden cancellation of our 4th on more than one occasion. Now I get together with other friends to play trios. My biggest workout is playing with 2 bassoon friends.

I would add:

Felicity by Ray Premru. One of the best trios ever. It is available here for free download: http://www.ritchietrombonechoir.com/music.html  Also, other trios are available there like the forementioned Mount of Olives.

There are several trios by Boismortier. The first and second must be able to read tenor clef or you can transcribe it.
Available here: http://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-music.php?instrument_ID=6179&CATEGORIE=170

Besides the Speer trios, which are quite playable, there are many other bassoon and cello trios available online if you look for them. I could go on and on.

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: Torobone on Sep 29, 2017, 01:02PM
Felicity by Ray Premru. One of the best trios ever. It is available here for free download: http://www.ritchietrombonechoir.com/music.html  Also, other trios are available there like the forementioned Mount of Olives.

Thanks for that link! Some nice stuff in there!
ttf_Bcschipper

Post by ttf_Bcschipper »

Some time ago I posted here a trio arrangement of Engelbert Humperdinck's opera "Haensel and Gretel". His opera contains a wonderful duet by Haensel and Gretel, when they are alone in the forest at night frightened by strange noises of wild animals and the wind. They sing a prayer. I tried to make it into a trombone trio, with trombones 1 and 2 being the kids and the bass trombone the "base". Of course it shouldn't be played like a heavy trombone section in a 4000 seat symphony hall but more like singing my 4 year old son into sleep (which by my own experience is quite possible with the trombone).

The trio can be found here http://faculty.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/schipper/humperdinck.pdf. It can be freely used under Creative Commons - Attribution.
ttf_patrickosmith

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

Handel Suite for Three Trombones.

Here's a YouTube not of the entire suite but of some of the movements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAjcyOw8cg

Does anybody know of other recordings?
ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Partita on Hammering - by Schmidt
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Oct 05, 2017, 02:55AMHandel Suite for Three Trombones.

I played another Handel trio suite that included Ave Verum and the minuet from Don Juan. I believe it was published by Robert King and is now out of print. I know where a copy exists...

Also, this is free to download, but the first part goes to a D: https://celloexpressions.com/music/piece/haunted-by-waters/. It is very pretty.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Oct 05, 2017, 02:55AMHandel Suite for Three Trombones.

I played another Handel trio suite that included Ave Verum and the minuet from Don Juan. I believe it was published by Robert King and is now out of print. I know where a copy exists...

Also, this is free to download, but the first part goes to a D: https://celloexpressions.com/music/piece/haunted-by-waters/. It is very pretty.

Return to “Performance”