The professional trombonist.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Cool tune but they should give the horns more than just a bunch of hits and short licks.
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

A lot of bands like this these days want horns on stage to "look" cool and don't really know anything about them or what they can bring to the music. Usually the keyboard player is the one writing their parts, if there are even specific ideas what to play.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Yes. I get the feeling a lot of stage bands want a 'bone or two just b/c they can look flashy. They may not even be mic'd up sometimes.

...Geezer
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

The video is not using live playing - there's obviously a bari sax and a trumpet in the audio that aren't in the video. Maybe they couldn't make the photo shoot.  Image

Jim Scott
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

She's no Deborah Harry.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Sep 15, 2017, 03:53PMShe's no Deborah Harry.
Agreed.  Mette has a voice like a mouse, weighs about 70lbs and just sings.  Not too bad on the eyes, but will never be the vocalist and song-writer Deborah Harry was.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Lydia Pence from the Band Cold Blood is one of my fav female vocalists.

ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

OK, I will bite!!  Playing devils advocate - how many of the folks that replied to this thread play regularly with bands like this?  I realize that the video is to promote the song and the band, but do you guys regularly sit in, join, and or a member of a band like the one in video on a regular basis????  If the answer is no then why be critical of this type of presentation.  I realize not seeing it around much is basically an economic problem, and many bands do not have the will to try hard to make a horn band work.  If you are not willing to musically play all genres weather you prefer them or not and join a wedding type band then this type of experience will most likely never be profitable for you.  My wedding type band experience of the last 14 years was a fun exploration of many types of musical genres and also quite profitable for just ask my tax preparer! Image
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Salsabone. From 1989 - 2011 I played almost exclusively in 3 pc horn sections. Loved it. Some tunes just require single hits like the video. It`s part of the job.
I had the luxury to be in Bands that allowed to do some very creative writing for the section. More soli sections (like Chicago) as compared to other bands that had yet another Sax solo.
I had a blast playing with some incredible musicians that are still my good friends
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: salsabone on Sep 22, 2017, 03:52PMOK, I will bite!!  Playing devils advocate - how many of the folks that replied to this thread play regularly with bands like this?
I did back in my university days (80-84).  Played with a couple of R&B/funk bands around the Toronto and area bar scene for spending money.  Chicago, Lighthouse, Tower of Power ... that sort of stuff (but not those bands!).  Not terribly interesting or difficult music to play, but it paid money.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

The dream I saw to play in a band like Tim Aker’s Smoking Section  Image

Or to just be paid to look good and quench the unfulfilled desire to play exciting parts with other gigs.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

The dream I saw to play in a band like Tim Aker’s Smoking Section  Image

Or to just be paid to look good and quench the unfulfilled desire to play exciting parts with other gigs.

Return to “Performance”