Titanic - The Musical (experiences??)

ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Our 1st rehearsal is this Sunday for the upcoming CFC Arts Choir Concert. I'll be one of the 40-member pit orchestra (4 bones).  Does anyone have experiences with this score?  Any of the four(?) bone parts particularly interesting? From what I understand we're not performing the entire musical, just select pieces.

FYI, I won't be playing 1st book. Steve Satone (retired MSG after many many years in the West Point Band) is our principal and he's an absolute beast of a player. I consider it an honor to play with him.

Thanks in advance!
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I did it about 5 years ago. The bone book is not particularly interesting to play. Lots of loud long notes, but not much melodic material. One nice fast tune where they are trying to wake everyone up after the iceberg hits. Overall, one of my least favorite shows that I have done.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

I can do loud. Image

We're backing a 150-voice choir with soloists.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Boring night of long note exercises.

Chris Stearn
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

But we did have some fun on opening night when the dry ice set off the smoke alarm in the theater and people started to get up and leave. They had to stop the show.
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

I played the show on Broadway. Not one piece of music to play-as Chris said. Lots of loud nothing.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Well, our 1st rehearsal went well (considering only about 50% of the musicians showed up). Only 2 bone parts for the score, so each part is doubled. I'm playing 2nd book on my Getzen 3047AFR. Plenty of low D's, C's and Bb's.

Next rehearsal I'm bringing my bass mouthpiece and my Eb tuning slide.  We didn't get to "20A-No Moon #2" or "30-Mr Andrew's Vision" yet, but both scores have low B naturals in them.

I must agree that the music isn't the most demanding or interesting. All this low range playing will surely help build my air support for the upcoming symphony season.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Well, our 1st rehearsal went well (considering only about 50% of the musicians showed up). Only 2 bone parts for the score, so each part is doubled. I'm playing 2nd book on my Getzen 3047AFR. Plenty of low D's, C's and Bb's.

Next rehearsal I'm bringing my bass mouthpiece and my Eb tuning slide.  We didn't get to "20A-No Moon #2" or "30-Mr Andrew's Vision" yet, but both scores have low B naturals in them.

I must agree that the music isn't the most demanding or interesting. All this low range playing will surely help build my air support for the upcoming symphony season.

Return to “Performance”