Brass Quartet (trumpet, horn, trombone, tuba)

ttf_fgodin

Post by ttf_fgodin »

Hi!

I am looking for some repertoire for a brass quartet with trumpet, horn, trombone and tuba. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Anything in particular? I have a few things arranged that I had played at my wedding (which was trumpet/bone/bone/tuba but I could quick switch out the top bone part for horn.  Its a little eclectic but would give y'all something to play.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In modo religioso op. 38 (1892) by Alexander Glazunov (1865-1936) and Fanfare for Bima (1948) by Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990) are two of my favorites. Also there is plenty of stuff from the early baroque period. Giovanni Gabrieli's Canzoni and Andrea Gabrieli's Ricercars are both popular choices but you could also get more adventurous with Marenzio's 4 part madrigals. All wonderful music.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

If you're OK with transposition all of the Bach Chorals would work with that instrumentation, and they are short enough as to not take long to write out.  Tuba and Trombone can read directly out of the keyboard part, you only have to transpose and write out the horn and maybe the trumpet part (many trumpet players will have a C Trumpet, or can make the transposition in their head). You can also use many other 4 part choral arrangements with Brass quartet, check out your church's choral library.  There are many quartet arrangements in the public domain available on http://imslp.org
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

If you're OK with transposition all of the Bach Chorals would work with that instrumentation, and they are short enough as to not take long to write out.  Tuba and Trombone can read directly out of the keyboard part, you only have to transpose and write out the horn and maybe the trumpet part (many trumpet players will have a C Trumpet, or can make the transposition in their head). You can also use many other 4 part choral arrangements with Brass quartet, check out your church's choral library.  There are many quartet arrangements in the public domain available on http://imslp.org

Return to “Performance”