Hal Crook

ttf_anonymous

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just wanted to show some love for my long time teacher at Berklee before he retired this past May. Hal is one of the most incredible improvisers I have ever heard in my life, and I say that with utmost sincerity. Whether its Free Improvisation or shredding over the form of a tune Hal can do it all. He was also one of the first people that ever got me interested in using 20th Century Classical Harmony from composers likes Schoenberg, Stravinsky and Bartok in an improvisational setting. A thinking mans musician for sure.

Heres his website http://www.halcrook.com/

PS .... pretty darn proud about being listed under the Students Category on his "Lessons" page. The thing about Hal is that the students he has had in his ensembles are a who's who in the jazz world. Esperanza Spalding, Antoni Sanchez, Mark Turner, Donny McCaslin, Elliot Mason, Andre Hayward ... you name it. I felt very privlidged to be able to study in one of his Free Improvisation ensembles at Berklee for 3 semesters.
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_JacobGarchik »

Hal's trio album "Only Human" is a classic. Probably the most important jazz trombone album of the 1990s.

ttf_Max Acree

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Max Acree »

Quote from: JacobGarchik on Feb 16, 2017, 03:49AMHal's trio album "Only Human" is a classic. Probably the most important jazz trombone album of the 1990s.

Only Human and Narayani are my favorite of his albums. Totally agree with your sentiment.
ttf_LX

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_LX »

Quote from: JacobGarchik on Feb 16, 2017, 03:49AMHal's trio album "Only Human" is a classic. Probably the most important jazz trombone album of the 1990s.

Agreed, Jacob!! It might even be considered one of the most important trombone recordings in the last 30 years. Brazil still tickles me whenever I play it for someone who hasn't heard it.
ttf_anonymous

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I myself find it curious that Hal Crook is not discussed more on this forum. In my mind he must be one of the most innovative improvisers on our instrument. Further, I might go as far as to say one of the most original sounding voices on any instrument. Why is he not considered required listening for the young modern jazz trombonist?
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

Cuz this forum skews conservative.
ttf_Ellrod

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Available on I tunes or Apple Music?

I think not.
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

Quote from: Ellrod on Apr 27, 2017, 02:51PMAvailable on I tunes or Apple Music?

I think not.

Ah well, it must not be worth listening to, then.  Image
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

BTW Phil Woods "Full House" is also excellent. Raw and live. But Hal Crook plays great.
I seem to remember people trading 90s bootlegs of Hal Crook subbing for George Garzone in the Fringe. Never heard them. But I'm sure they are great too.
ttf_Ellrod

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: JacobGarchik on Apr 27, 2017, 03:03PMAh well, it must not be worth listening to, then.  Image

It does make it a little difficult to listen to him.
ttf_anonymous

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_anonymous »

He has a youtubechannel where he has uploaded quite a lot of his own recordings!
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

I remember the days when I would spend every waking hour in record stores, libraries, and thrift shops hunting for recorded music. Somehow the harder it was to find, the sweeter it would sound when you eventually found it.
ttf_Ellrod

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

What's a record store?
ttf_JacobGarchik

Hal Crook

Quote from: Ellrod on Apr 28, 2017, 03:36PMWhat's a record store?

It's a device that good musicians use to learn about their art form.
ttf_Ellrod

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Oh, I guess I'm not a good musician then.
ttf_anonymous

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Ellrod on Apr 29, 2017, 10:50AMOh, I guess I'm not a good musician then.

Thats a logical fallacy

Petrol is used to fuel cars ≠ All cars are fueled with petrol
ttf_anonymous

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It's a logical falacy in responce to a false premise and/or a bad definition. i.e. "It's a device that good musicians use to learn about their art form." It's also a device that bad musicians use to fuel their art form. It's also antiquated. Retail sale of recorded music in brick and mortar stores is depricated. No amount of wishing it weren't so will change it. I miss searching for new music in a music store too, but it doesn't stop me from using streaming music services.
ttf_Max Acree

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Max Acree »

Quote from: PowerJam on Apr 26, 2017, 09:50AMI myself find it curious that Hal Crook is not discussed more on this forum. In my mind he must be one of the most innovative improvisers on our instrument. Further, I might go as far as to say one of the most original sounding voices on any instrument. Why is he not considered required listening for the young modern jazz trombonist?

I agree with your sentiment 100%. I guess in a lot of ways some trombonists are still not ready for Hal, which is sad. Here in Boston and especially in the Berklee and New England Conservatory circles, he is considered a legend by pretty much any jazz musician you ask, myself included. I feel so so privileged to have been in his small group ensembles at Berklee for 3 semesters, it was the time of my life getting to learn from him.
ttf_Max Acree

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Max Acree »

Quote from: JacobGarchik on Apr 27, 2017, 03:26PMBTW Phil Woods "Full House" is also excellent. Raw and live. But Hal Crook plays great.
I seem to remember people trading 90s bootlegs of Hal Crook subbing for George Garzone in the Fringe. Never heard them. But I'm sure they are great too.

WOW, that sounds like an amazing band. Wish I knew someone who had it. George and the Fringe still play every Monday night at the Lilypad after Jerry Bergonzi. They have been together something like 45 years I think.
ttf_Max Acree

Hal Crook

Post by ttf_Max Acree »

Quote from: JacobGarchik on Apr 27, 2017, 03:26PMBTW Phil Woods "Full House" is also excellent. Raw and live. But Hal Crook plays great.

WOW, that sounds like an amazing band. Wish I knew someone who had it. George and the Fringe still play every Monday night at the Lilypad after Jerry Bergonzi. They have been together something like 45 years I think.

Return to “Trombonists”