Teddy Roderman vintage video

ttf_Ormsby

Post by ttf_Ormsby »

Just came across this old video on youtube  featuring some pretty playing by Teddy Roderman. It dates back to the 60s and features a dancer doing some vintage moves from that era. Fun to watch. And nice playing from Moe Koffman, Guido Basso  and Ed Bickert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wydk139pk2U
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Teddy Roderman-in his day-50's-60's-70's was one of the finest trombonists that Canada ever produced. He had numerous offers to join Tommy Dorsey and many other top American  bands, but never left Toronto. At one time he was Principle Trombonist in the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, and the CBC Symphony as well as one of the busiest musicians in the thriving and very lucrative TV studio and recording scene in Toronto at the time, so busy in fact that he had to eventually resign from the Toronto Symphony in order to fulfill his studio commitments. He was one of the original members of Rob McConnell's Boss Brass.Teddy was noted for his beautiful sound and virtuosity in every genre of music.He was  considered one of North America's finest trombonists..
Alas, he is all but forgotten today. R.I.P. Teddy. (1924-1980)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

When Teddy left the Toronto Symphony Orchestra around 1958, his replacement was the renowned symphonic trombonist Gordon Pulis, who had just left the New York Philharmonic Orchestra as principle trombone. Gordon Pulis stayed with the Toronto Symphony for several years thereafter.
Roderman went on to record 3 CTL(Canadian Talent Library)trombone feature recordings, which are available at times today on eBay auctions. THey show Teddy's prodigious talent as a great trombonist to great advantage.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Dave Robbins (former favorite lead trombone player for Harry James, LA studio player, and Mr. did-it-all in Canada) lived in Los Angeles in the 1950's and worked in the studios, he said that a lot of the trombone players would get together on Saturday nights and tune in to CBC radio in order to specifically listen to the trombone players in Toronto. Dave said they all figured that Toronto must be the place to be, and he was working at the time with Tommy Pederson, Dick Nash, Lloyd Ulyate, etc. !!
ttf_timmopussycat

Post by ttf_timmopussycat »

Teddy's sound was so beautiful. I wish his albums would be reissued on CD. While there were and are other players who could play the notes he played, nobody sounded like him (sweet, full and ringing) and what"s available online really doesn't do him justice. To me, sadly, the sound of the vast majority of jazz or pop trombonists offer sounds that rate poor to ugly in comparison.
ttf_timmopussycat

Post by ttf_timmopussycat »

Teddy's sound was so beautiful. I wish his albums would be reissued on CD. While there were and are other players who could play the notes he played, nobody sounded like him (sweet, full and ringing) and what"s available online really doesn't do him justice. To me, sadly, the sound of the vast majority of jazz or pop trombonists offer sounds that rate poor to ugly in comparison.

Return to “Trombonists”