More YouTube Trombonists

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

You know, I'm with Chris on this one.  It's one thing to bash someone that talks like they're good, but play very poorly (I know it's wrong, but I'm guilty too), but even worse to talk about a very humble man that can play circles and circles and circles and circles..... around me, and seems like he would jam with me if I asked.  Opinions are cool, but Graham, your post wouldn't bother me if you didn't add, "I hate to think this is what young players are trying to emulate."  I don't care for Kid Ory's playing, but I would highly encourage anyone to sound like him if they wanted to. Keep the love in the love, brother.
ttf_Piano man

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Piano man »

I've never heard Conrad Herwig before--he sounded great!  Even the real fast stuff, you could pick out the notes--lots of good blues and bop licks and little outside sequences that made sense.  You can tell he's got great ears.  He ran out of gas a little at the end.

I agree that the band's sloppy, especially the saxes.  The sax soli sections sound like each player is trying to phrase a little different so you can hear him.  Part of it might be the crappy recording.
ttf_DaveAshley

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Isn't the band full of kids with a few pros scattered in?  This band was probably rehearsed one time and put on stage. After all, we're not listening for saxes on this site are we?

I laughed out loud when I read the post that in-essence said he can't cut the changes on a blues. Conrad can probably throw down on Giant Steps in all 12 keys better than anyone else on the trombone.....
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

J.J. Johnson playing Just Friends with Aebersold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo-C-Gk-KNQ
ttf_Silver3B

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Silver3B »

Sorry...didn't have a tri-pod, it's handheld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNpMNlY7wfg
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_marty nichols »

Quote from: jtn191 on Jan 28, 2007, 03:35PMJ.J. Johnson playing Just Friends with Aebersold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo-C-Gk-KNQ
What an unadulterated pleasure! My first time seeing/hearing Aebersold
play, and I have had hundreds of his playalong albums. I am assuming he is
on sax?

BTW, that unnamed player on "Blue Bells of Scotland" Wow!!!

While I was at Youtube I also checked out Peanuts Hucko's group playing on tour
in Europe. I never knew he had put together a band of his own. Youtube is fantastic!
ttf_Silver3B

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Silver3B »

Bill Watrous looked great here at NAMM 2007. Here's another video with Bill Watrous and the Bones West, didn't have a tri-pod it's handheld, sorry.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m9qDZAYO1VA
ttf_Piano man

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Dec 19, 2006, 05:24PMNils Landgren and Pat Metheny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_i7mOrghVQ

Criminy, that's gorgeous.  You have to admire someone who can play so fluently and appropriately with just acoustic guitar. I have a Nils album with Joe Sample that I'm not so crazy about, but the playing is great.

That song's by Jimmy Webb, who also wrote Wichita Lineman (come to think of it, that would make a good trombone feature, too).
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: Silver3B on Jan 29, 2007, 06:51AMBill Watrous looked great here at NAMM 2007. Here's another video with Bill Watrous and the Bones West, didn't have a tri-pod it's handheld, sorry.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m9qDZAYO1VA
Wow! And that had to be after that long hospitalization Watrous had
for that "mold thing " in his lungs.Great!

ttf_Malec Heermans

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

Yeah... thanks for that Silver3B. It's beautiful how relaxed he is.
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

I enjoyed that solo......nice blues!
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: marty nichols on Jan 28, 2007, 11:43PMWhile I was at Youtube I also checked out Peanuts Hucko's group playing on tour
in Europe. I never knew he had put together a band of his own. Youtube is fantastic!

Hi Marty,

There is a good CD of that band available on the Star Jazz Series SLCD-9005, P.O. Box 1571, Glandale, CA 91209. It is called Peanuts Hucko and his All Stars, Swing That Music. I particularly like it because it has great mix of American, British and European jazz stars: Peanuts Hucko on clarinet, Roy Williams on trombone, Danny Moss on tenor sax, Randy Sandke on trumpet, Lars Erstrand on vibes, Johnny Varro on piano, Colin Gieg on bass and Butch Miles on drums. I think they may even  be the same sessions as on that YouTube. Oh, and Louise Tobin, Peanuts wife, on vocals who was great in her day. A top, top recording from 1992 and the last recording that Peanuts Hucko ever made! And my liking is not just because Roy and Danny are playing. Image

http://www.mp3.com/albums/125735/summary.html    This site has some previews of the tracks.

You can also get some good live recordings of Peanuts Hucko playing in Europe with the Alex Welsh Band, which was and all star band in its own right and where he originally met up with Roy Williams. These recordings are from 1967 and recorded in a jazz club, so that you get the atmosphere of how popular was jazz in the 1960s and how we poms enjoyed it. It is available from Lake Records - "Peanuts Hucko Vols 1 & 2 with Alex Welsh & his Band":

https://vault2.secured-url.com/fellside/htdocs/shop/Dept02.asp?offset=60

If you ever want to know what the British Revival and the Trad Boom were all about, Lake Records is your label! But I am not allowed to go there anymore because I spend too much money. Image

I agree with your comments on YouTube. I cannot believe there are too many more clips to discover but I hope I'm wrong.

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Albert Mangelsdorff, Jaco Pastorius, Alphonse Mouzon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEZjmu6zJo

This is probably the least impressive track from "Trilogue - Live!" (Pausa PR 7055, recorded at the Berlin Jazz Festival, 1976).  But I was amazed to find even this excerpt on YouTube.

I dusted off an old vinyl copy recently and was completely knocked out.

I guess  Verve reissued this on CD last summer.  If you're a Mangelsdorff fan -- or especially if you're not -- check this one out.  It's a real burning set!
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

QuoteAlbert Mangelsdorff, Jaco Pastorius, Alphonse Mouzon:
Impressive! Image Image
How do they do that? Image
ttf_BarryLee

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_BarryLee »

...even more impressive when you consider this was just an off-the-cuff blowthrough of some of Mangelsdorff's tunes.

Quote from: marty nichols on Jan 30, 2007, 05:56AMHow do they do that? Image

I dunno.  Just three virtuoso players at the top of their game, having fun.

You know the joke: "Hey, buddy, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

Same answer, I expect.
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's a tiddy by my all time favorite trombonist - me!
Kidding aside, it's a cut from last years live TV production Niels Jørgen Steen's Monday Night Big Band Talk Show.
Here it is, guys, thanks to Stefan Ringive:
My solo with my homemade Dicky Wells mute in Niels Jørgen Steen's Blues in Paradise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCnv83HAGY
enjoy!
erling Image
ttf_BarryLee

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_BarryLee »

Sweet!  Thanks, Erling (and Stefan).

So... did you take an ice pick to that mute, or what?

Love the sound!

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yup, that's what Dicky told me he did . . . the rest is a sweet secret . . . . Image
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Erling!  Excellent solo...and I love the "tea ball" mute!!!

Sure hope you post more of your stuff.  Image
ttf_JP

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_JP »

Hey Erling,

You're the real thang! Sounds great. I love blues played on the back of the beat.

Oh, nice hat and jacket as well.

Nice blues jam, well attired, who could ask for more. (Don't tell me about the ladies that asked for your phone number after the gig... Image)
ttf_JP

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_JP »

QuoteAnd then, George Masso playing "Basin Street Blues" with the World's Greatest Jazzband:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu75bYCDxiY
Awesome. One of the best Basin Street Blues I have heard. Thank you.
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's a clip of North Texas alum Chris Seiter playing a few choruses of Db Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrFfvplrQFw
ttf_Silver3B

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Silver3B »

Erling,

Awesome solo, great sound, plus the black leather and black hat, very cool!! Loved it!

ttf_DaveAshley

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: anotherjones on Jan 30, 2007, 06:31PMHere's a clip of North Texas alum Chris Seiter playing a few choruses of Db Blues.

I'm lovin' the unmistakable King sound.  There's a kind of ring in the sound that you can ONLY get from a King.  He sounds great on it, too. 
ttf_Silver3B

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Silver3B »

QuoteI'm lovin' the unmistakable King sound.  There's a kind of ring in the sound that you can ONLY get from a King.
A very beautiful unique sound ....love my 3B SilverSonic.

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks Anthony! And that hat is actually a porkpie hat like Lester Young's. They don't make them anymore . . . but I found an old hat-maker in San Diego that remembered how to make them.
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

Quote from: JP on Jan 30, 2007, 06:02PM Awesome. One of the best Basin Street Blues I have heard. Thank you.

Very nice trombone solo!
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

Quote from: Erling on Jan 30, 2007, 01:05PMHere's a tiddy by my all time favorite trombonist - me!
Kidding aside, it's a cut from last years live TV production Niels Jørgen Steen's Monday Night Big Band Talk Show.
Here it is, guys, thanks to Stefan Ringive:
My solo with my homemade Dicky Wells mute in Niels Jørgen Steen's Blues in Paradise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCnv83HAGY
enjoy!
erling Image
Nice blues solo, Erving!!
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sweet solo Erving.
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

Yeah, get down Man! Image

No "condescension" toward the trombone there. It had a place of genuine respect IMO.
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: anotherjones on Jan 30, 2007, 06:31PMHere's a clip of North Texas alum Chris Seiter playing a few choruses of Db Blues.

Solid! Image
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: marty nichols on Feb 01, 2007, 04:03AMYeah, get down Man! Image

No "condescension" toward the trombone there. It had a place of genuine respect IMO.

On the button Marty! I have long been an admirer of Erling's vibrato but did not realise before seeing that clip that it was not all slide vibrato. I am not quite sure the technique Erling uses for his other vibrato but it sounds very much like the remarkable even and slow vibrato of Tyree Glenn. How exactly Erling?
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

OK, Grah (and thanks for the nice words!) no it's not a slide vibrato nor lip. Nothing to do with Tyree neither. Emanates from two-three sources. Jim Kneppers' and Bill Harris' vibrati (Niels Jørgen Steen of the Monday Night Big Band calls it my Bill Harris hammer vibrato Image ) but more than anything the vibrato sound of the Argentine bandoneón (a bellows instrument like the accordion) which is executed by shaking the bellows. Took me many years to perfect - let alone get the nerve up to DO it in public (the cat's mad!) - Actually, if I should describe what I do, it's some kind of air-column vibrato, I think not too different from the way a flute-player vibrates (I've been told).
Anyways, I use any kind of vibrati, slide, chops, the works as I see fit at the spur of the moment, what the situation inspires me to. I think the vaster an arsenal of 'effects' you have handy, the better you can express yourself at a given moment in a given situation. That goes for all 'tricks' like different attacks, tongue, doodle, throat, air, slurs, different positions for sake of timbre, etc, etc, etc. SOUND is of the utmost importance - to me. Next up: what to do with it . . . and I could ramble along all night, but I better leave cyber-space for a while and catch some shut-eye.
erling
ttf_Ruckus

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Ruckus »

They suspended Bob Erwigs account on youtube.  Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

What means this? Image
ttf_BarryLee

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_BarryLee »

"boberwig" posted lots of the great old jazz clips on YouTube -- many of which we've been chatting about here.  Which we probably won't be seeing now.

Apparently these guys are going to cave in to Viacom's demands for the time being -- until Google opens another can of lawyers, anyway.

Can't remember who said this: "Letting the entertainment industry dictate the terms of file sharing is like putting the dinosaurs in charge of evolution."

Right on.

Maybe one day they'll even start confiscating our trombones if we dare to cop any of those patented Teagarden licks in our solos.... (absurd reductio, maybe, but think about it).

We'd have to take up the theremin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bSRcRAhnc

(btw, this cat recorded this whole thing in one take, in Ableton Live.)

ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

I guess we should all be grateful for YouTube Grabber while they were available. Image  Although maybe that is why they are no longer available.
ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

I know, I enjoyed many of those videos I didn't dream were out there. Is this over the presentation of copyright material? Like the rules on "myspace" that you cnnot post someone elses material, only what you  "own?"

Quote from: BarryLee on Feb 03, 2007, 07:07PM"boberwig" posted lots of the great old jazz clips on YouTube -- many of which we've been chatting about here.  Which we probably won't be seeing now.

Apparently these guys are going to cave in to Viacom's demands for the time being -- until Google opens another can of lawyers, anyway.

Can't remember who said this: "Letting the entertainment industry dictate the terms of file sharing is like putting the dinosaurs in charge of evolution."

Right on.

Maybe one day they'll even start confiscating our trombones if we dare to cop any of those patented Teagarden licks in our solos.... (absurd reductio, maybe, but think about it).

We'd have to take up the theremin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bSRcRAhnc

(btw, this cat recorded this whole thing in one take, in Ableton Live.)

ttf_dj kennedy

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

conrad rules 
  in  thecontext of that gig //    contrast the  styles   of the  alto   and the tenor solos
  or   ideas   ====== when  did the alto  player  come  up  with  an idea  ?????
====================
the tenor  player was  totally laid  back
alto  kicks in  speedy  as a freight train
---------
conrad sorta  imitated  BOTH   of them
and   then  went   beyond  and  he  was  trying  real hard  to  say  SOMETHING
and  it was  more than  bird licks
-----------
when the old man  kicked in
 very  nice  quotation   before 
woulda  been   nice to hear the  rest of his  solo
because  he  woulda  put  conrad AND  the  2 saxes   to  rest
=============
to me  here is what  went down
mr  energy  and  bird  at litespeed  blew
 then  slow train
the litebird
then radbone  combining  elements of  both  before  he  went  beyond
then  the flugel  put it all  together 
according to announcement  band  was 4 days old [?????????]
if  you knew the  story   
everything  would  make sense [hence  solos] much better
the  solos  being  a non  verbal  communication  about the
players  feelings  and  observations  of the moment
and   what they are  saying to  each  other    too  in those  non  verbal  notes
lookee   i  know   5  million bird   licks
lookee   i  can   play  slooooooow
lookee     i  can  do dat  too
-------
its  all about the  gig
that band sounded  like  a grade school 
after   christmas  break

ttf_marty nichols

More YouTube Trombonists

DJ,
Quoteconrad sorta  imitated  BOTH   of them
and   then  went   beyond  and  he  was  trying  real hard  to  say  SOMETHING
and  it was  more than  bird licks
-----------
I'm curious guy, does "bird licks" mean "Parker-like" licks or
does it mean "birdcall-like" licks?

Appreciate you!
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Parker I'm sure
ttf_Ruckus

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Ruckus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoZWim-SEQ

I don't think this has been posted before.  This is a great video of Kai Winding, Dizzy, Sonny Stitt, Monk, and whomever else.  Tour de Force is the tune.
ttf_SandyMBarrows

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_SandyMBarrows »

Great stuff by great musicians!
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

A nice set by Jim Pugh and Eijiro Nakagawa two-trombone quintet, E'nJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMdq_23LlCI

dj and I were at this one, I believe that Nestor Z was there also?
ttf_Ruckus

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Ruckus »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrnWLVL_RWI

Another Curtis Fuller thang.

What kinda horn did Fuller play?  Obviously it was larger, but I can't seem to make out the insignia on the counterweight.  It looks like a Conn?
ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

Looks like a Bach 42 to me, maybe a Yamaha with a different counter weight.

Interesting to hear Wallace Roney in non-Miles mode, more Clifford ish.....
ttf_Piano man

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: ctingle on Feb 10, 2007, 11:19PMLooks like a Bach 42 to me, maybe a Yamaha with a different counter weight.

Interesting to hear Wallace Roney in non-Miles mode, more Clifford ish.....

aaah, that answers my question...

ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

Quote from: Piano man on Feb 11, 2007, 12:13AMaaah, that answers my question...

He was more widely known to play an Olds Opera earlier on, and I know he played Yamahas in the 80's....Maybe Dave Gibson can help us out with more info about Curtis and horns....

Dig Curtis,
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: ctingle on Feb 11, 2007, 12:17AMHe was more widely known to play an Olds Opera earlier on, and I know he played Yamahas in the 80's....Maybe Dave Gibson can help us out with more info about Curtis and horns....

Dig Curtis,

Pretty sure that Curtis played the Opera on most of the older stuff.  I know that he has been playing a Blessing small bore for some years. 

DG
ttf_DaveAshley

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

This is a REAL good sounding high school kid. Maybe the best I've ever heard....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_J_Hq06g6U

Solo starts at 2 min 19 sec...

Return to “Trombonists”