More YouTube Trombonists

ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I love it when Jerry goes on an opposite tack. On the question of simplicity, I simply agree with him. But I seem to remember differing viewpoints in the past. Image

Earlier in this post I expressed some interest in the software being used by Nicola and I was disappointed that there was no answer to my question, "Do you think those harmonies are really moving with a predetermined chord sequence, or what?" It did not sound as though it was simply parallel voicing, but I could be wrong. Anyway, none of that stuff is difficult and one could do it with say Band-in-a-Box. 

Not that linking up the Yamaha Silent Brass to software and other devices is a new idea. Several years back I remember members talking about linking it to guitar foot controllers for on-stage performances.

My opinion on the YSB is that, whilst it has a lot of potential for producing the sounds of other instruments via your computer soundbank, it seems incapable of producing a nice trombone sound. Not even when I am using it with really good earphones for it's real purpose of semi-silent practicing.

ttf_BoneCall

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_BoneCall »

QuoteOn the question of simplicity, I simply agree with him. But I seem to remember differing viewpoints in the past.

I offered a defense of trombonisms?  Must have been just before the time I gave up life in the fast lane.

The software was interesting in that video, Graham, but I appreciated the attitude even more. Maybe our new forum member Robin Eubanks can tell us a bit more about programming a sequence like that.
ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

I'd have to go back and listen closer, but it sounded like he had intervals programmed above and below the pitch played on the horn in real time, 4ths and 5ths if I remember correctly.  I didn't hear a sequencer being used in this beginning section.

Later he set up a simple loop to play over in real time with various effects trying to simulate Santana's guitar sound.  I'm no midi guy, so I'll wait for others to offer specific soft synths and patches to get these effects, there are so many.

Cheers,
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Erling Kroner out in front, really looking and sounding great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCnv83HAGY

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Randy Kapralick playing some blues.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wpSrNFOUu1w
ttf_bassclef

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_bassclef »

YEAH!

i just found this and it's one of my favorite videos i've ever stumbled across on youtube. it's van morrison live in with special guest fred wesley. fred starts the sermon @ 3:09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18oYoadPlU0

my favorite trombonist with a super tight band playing one of my favorite songs. the effortless way he wove together funk and jazz ideas in that solo has my mind a bit blown at the moment.

listening to fred lifts my soul.
ttf_bassclef

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_bassclef »

oh, to be in a bar some night and some **** like this breaks out in the middle of the place. probably have to get out of amerika for any chance of that.

spontaneuous mnozil brass w/ wycliffe:
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TvYXOHvIQ
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTiGuJlO5Q

real musical conversation.

trad. jazz fanatics should check this out especially.
ttf_SilverSonic

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_SilverSonic »

Quote from: bassclef on Dec 12, 2007, 07:54PMoh, to be in a bar some night and some **** like this breaks out in the middle of the place. probably have to get out of amerika for any chance of that.

Yes,
we don't have jazz here in Amerika...
ttf_bassclef

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_bassclef »

fer cryin out loud...you know what i mean.

do i really need to explain how live music of all types has a far greater level of appreciation/support amongst the general population of countries outside of this one, hence the equally greater possiblity of an occurrance such as documented in those two clips taking place without generally offending most/all people within the bar?

no?

good.
ttf_WaltTrombone

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Here's a video shot just the other night, rehearsing with the Bensen-Scott Big Band...
http://www.youtube.com/v/SjFdy624Msk&rel=1

Hope I wasn't too high & fiddly... Image
ttf_Dan H.

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Dan H. »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Dec 13, 2007, 08:11AMHere's a video shot just the other night, rehearsing with the Bensen-Scott Big Band...

Sorry, I'm afraid it was...

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Dec 13, 2007, 08:11AMHere's a video shot just the other night, rehearsing with the Bensen-Scott Big Band...

Higher............Faster..........Louder.........

p-mf --- priceless
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Our own Alex Iles with the Disney All American Band from summer 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olnZtCgXoTA
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Some of the stuff Alex does is amazing!  Case and point? Just watch the faces on the people in the band behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7mZRygBrYc
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Quote from: Bonefide on Jan 13, 2008, 09:23PMSome of the stuff Alex does is amazing!  Case in point? Just watch the faces on the people in the band behind him.

Image Image Image

That is absolutely amazing. What true mastery of the instrument and consummate use of ALL its possibilities!

And musicality. And inventiveness. And humour.

Encapsulated within a brief rendition of a (to me) previously hackneyed old tune. Spectacular.

Thank you, Alex. (And thanks, Bonefide!)

(Ain't nobody hearing me say "High and fiddly" about THIS track!)
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

Quote from: Bonefide on Jan 13, 2008, 09:23PMSome of the stuff Alex does is amazing!  Case and point? Just watch the faces on the people in the band behind him.

I'm speechless!
ttf_josh roseman

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_josh roseman »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 14, 2008, 02:38AMThat is absolutely amazing. What true mastery of the instrument and consummate use of ALL its possibilities!
Encapsulated within a brief rendition of a (to me) previously hackneyed old tune. Spectacular.Yeah, and RHM don't like hardly no trombonists at all!    Image   
Go, w/bad self...
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

ttf_Paul Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 14, 2008, 02:38AMImage Image Image

That is absolutely amazing. What true mastery of the instrument and consummate use of ALL its possibilities!

Encapsulated within a brief rendition of a (to me) previously hackneyed old tune. Spectacular.

Thank you, Alex. (And thanks, Bonefide!)

(Ain't nobody hearing me say "High and fiddly" about THIS track!)

Mama,

Have you left the 1920's without telling anyone?

ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Oooooooops! Image

Nope, but this is the first time I have heard a contemporary player doing all of the things I described above. Oh, and I forgot to mention using the entire range of the instrument. How could I NOT admire it? However, to be honest, I've never heard a 1920s player doing all those things either....

Alex, are your ears burning? Sorry if I came over as a bit of a creep. Image

ttf_Bonefide

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Bonefide »

Judging from the video, his whole face is burning.  Image  Can't blame him, if i could do that, it'd take a lot out of me.

Whew, that is impressive though.  Just watched it again, still amazed.
ttf_LX

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_LX »

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad some of you liked "Sentimental Journey". It's a fun way to break up a concert.

It's great to go back to play with the All American College Band. That was my first real "gig" in the summer between my freshman and sophmore years of college! It's funny how much I can relate to the young people in the band, having been in it myself. It is one of the most fun clinic/concerts I ever get to do.

As far as me looking like  Image Image Image Image

I do turn pretty red whenever I play. It's been that way since I was 10 or so [!], but that was also in 100 degree So Cal heat...I usually get pretty overheated out there!!

Thanks again for the kind words!!

LX

ttf_LX

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_LX »

Oh yea,

Thanks especially to Mama. You made my year [so far  Image]...

LX
ttf_Piano man

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Piano man »

I need a trombone like that.
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jeezazz! Just listened/saw Sentimental Journey. Man, that was great. MusiCALity, madness and joy, and command and . . . the list goes on
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I'm booked to guest with a trad jazz band this coming Sunday. Occasionally, they play Sentimental Journey. How can I possibly do it now? Image
ttf_WaltTrombone

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Just play it the RHM way.
ttf_blast

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_blast »

Alex, you really are one fine musician.... your playing made me feel happy from top to toe... thank you and bravo  Image Image Image Image

Chris Stearn.
ttf_JP

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_JP »

I have been privileged to see Alex play a few times. This is just a taste of what phenomenal musician this guy is. You can't imagine.

And, one of the nicest guys on the planet as well.
ttf_Bonefide

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Bonefide »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2OaXpqJYk&feature=related

That guy's pretty good.  I didn't notice this the first time around but now, I spy Erling!  Keep an eye out at 1:20.   Image
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Hmmmm.

Now that IS high and fiddly!

Why is he holding his finger like that? Does he think the mouthpiece is going to drop out, or maybe his nose might fall off?

And I'm just going to nip out and insert that ride cymbal where the sun don't shine.
ttf_Bonefide

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Bonefide »

Yeah, he can't seem to find what he's looking for sometimes.  Mostly posted just because of the sweet close up on Erling and his hat for a few seconds.
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Ah, yes. Erling and his hat! Image Hello, Erling! Image
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

I think that it was a very nice blues solo.
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I'm not sure that was blues, though, was it? Image
ttf_zemry

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_zemry »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 16, 2008, 04:56AMImage

I'm not sure that was blues, though, was it? Image

Yes, those were blues!
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

OK.

I didn't like it though.

And I'm still heading out with that ride cymbal....
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah, that's my man Stefan Ringive - affectionately known as Steven Ringside! Great young cat that can really swing. Great in ensemble and solos. And, yeah that's me on lead, well spotted, Bonefide. There's another cut on YouTube where I play a solo, too. Unfortunately Stefan has been ill as of late, so I've missed him, personally and musically. He's only in his late twenties, so I hope he has the strength to get well again.
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I may not like Stefan's playing style, Erling, but I do wish him all the very best. I hope he gets better and back on stage very soon. There are not enough young people playing jazz. Image
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Just listened to this again. On a dark and gloomy morning, when I'm feeling particularly dark and gloomy myself, it made me smile.

Thank you.

BTW, nice shirt! Image
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A sound for sore ears indeed
ttf_ntap

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ntap »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CeQvCObK6ew

May have already been posted...Michael Dease is amazing, what clear articulation!
ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Oh dear. Excellent playing though it obviously is, I really don't like that stuff. I see no musical content in it whatsoever.
ttf_josh roseman

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_josh roseman »

You didn't dig the solo slow blues about a minute in (for example?)
what's not to like??   c'mon- it's the blues, man!  whaddaya want from the guy...
supremely swinging and elegant playing, too.  Anyway- Michael, the rest of us give you props...
j

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 22, 2008, 12:39PMOh dear. Excellent playing though it obviously is, I really don't like that stuff. I see no musical content in it whatsoever.

Is this an opinion that's supposed to generate discussion, or just an attempt to tear down someone who is obviously operating at the highest levels musically and technically?  I can understand that you don't like it...or that you don't understand it....but I can't sit and read your indictment ("I see no musical content in it whatsoever.") and resist the urge to respond.  If there were no musical content, then what Mike achieved here could be done by any trained chimp.  I don't believe that to be true and find your opinion to be stated in an arrogant manner.  In fact, I find that arrogance to be unnecessarily harsh and yielding no value of any kind to a discussion about what Mike did achieve.

If what Mike has done isn't your taste, then that could have been stated in a plain and kind way. 

DG

ttf_Paul Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Quote from: D Gibson on Jan 22, 2008, 01:13PM
Is this an opinion that's supposed to generate discussion, or just an attempt to tear down someone who is obviously operating at the highest levels musically and technically?  I can understand that you don't like it...or that you don't understand it....but I can't sit and read your indictment ("I see no musical content in it whatsoever.") and resist the urge to respond.  If there were no musical content, then what Mike achieved here could be done by any trained chimp.  I don't believe that to be true and find your opinion to be stated in an arrogant manner.  In fact, I find that arrogance to be unnecessarily harsh and yielding no value of any kind to a discussion about what Mike did achieve.

If what Mike has done isn't your taste, then that could have been stated in a plain and kind way. 

DG

RHM,

Is it safer to say "it doesn't move you?" 

There are some modern players who simply don't move me, who seem to be focused on pyrotechnics, and not on communication - or maybe they just don't communicate to me.

I find Mike's playing very moving, both emotionally and intellectually, and quite whimsical as well.  His time is perfect, intonation spot on, articulations clean as a bell, his ideas logical and yet not at all predictable, all very musical qualities.

Music pushes different buttons with different people, but I think if someone demonstrates obvious sincerity, and a very high-level of craft, as Mr. Dease so clearly does, we all ought to cut that person a good deal of slack, even if we prefer other styles.

I think your musical tastes are pretty narrow as regards trombone, which is a shame, because Miff is still dead, and efforts to sound that way are very rarely fresh, even if they are familiar.

ttf_RedHotMama

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Safer?

*sigh*

OK, I stand corrected. Some time ago, I decided, in "real" life, never to criticise a player or style of playing (except in a pub with musician friends), but merely to say that *I* don't like him/it. To me, this seems completely bland and deceitful, but it does avoid giving offense. This is important when speaking to potential customers, particularly the rabid New Orleans fans who favour complete crap (ooops, sorry), but I did think one could be honest amongst fellow trombone players. Obviously not! Even when you preface a statement with a compliment about the player himself, criticising style still gives offense. So, yes, if you prefer, that style of playing doesn't move me in the slightest and I don't understand how it could possibly move anyone else. And BTW, I most certainly don't try to recreate Miff Mole - I can't play anything LIKE as well as that! Image
ttf_ntap

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ntap »

Dease seems like a more accessible 'modern' player in my book.  His lines are derived from jj, slide, curtis fuller.  Sometimes ultra fast playing doesn't do it for me, so I understand where you're coming from redhot but this is amazing in my book, both phrase-wise/feel and technique.  Sometimes it takes me a few listens to really absorb it, maybe check it out again.

What, if I may, didn't you like about his playing RHM?  I won't criticize, just curious.

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Mama said "I see no musical content in it whatsoever."  - i.e. Mama's NOT saying there isn't any - just that she can't see it - very valid and honest non-derogatory statement. Amongst friends and colleagues we SHOULD be able to speak our minds - not being polite for polite's sake.
Thought he who's always right Image
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

Just saying "I see no musical content in it whatsoever" suggests to me that she doesn't get the gist!!!!!

Surely it should have been "I hear....."

Mama may i suggest listening........... Image Image

Return to “Trombonists”