Bill Pearce

ttf_inf1ame5

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_inf1ame5 »

are any of you Bill Pearce fans? i borrowed a Bill pearce solo book from my girlfriends dad whio plays tuba (he takes a lot of the arts down and octave or 2 (or 3 )) and some of those solos were pretty good. i was just wondering what you guys thought of him and his playing.

-Lee
ttf_Brisko

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_Brisko »

My mother introduced me to Bill Pearce shortly after I started playing the trombone.  Great sound and phrasing, IMO.  He's also a decent singer.
ttf_anonymous

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah, great trombonist.  You can order CD's from his radio program website.  The books are out of print, but I got a few from ebay.  They're very rare though.  I've seen people pay more than $35 for one of them.

Nice arrangements too.  The piano parts were not just an afterthought, IMO.  Good stuff.
ttf_djdekok

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_djdekok »

I learned about Bill in 8th grade from a friend of my sister's...I REALLY came to appreciate his playing later, when I started doing church gigs.  I was able to obtain a number of his arrangements and have done them with great success in churches in our area.
ttf_anonymous

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone have some Pearce books they'd like to liquidate. I've had almost 0 luck in aquiring ANY of them.

Thanks!

JJ
ttf_zemry

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_zemry »

There are several Bill Pearce lps on sale on Ebay now. I just purchased one of them: The Remarkable Trombone Of Bill Pearce.

When I get it in, I'll figure a way to transfer it to cd and also to my Ipod.

Doug Yeo also wrote an article on Bill Pearce which is published on this site. Here is the url: http://trombone.org/articles/library/pearce-int.asp

It is an ecxellent article and I would recommend it to everyone.

Located in the article are three songs played by Bill Pearce which can be listened to .
ttf_anonymous

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Bill Pearce fans. I know it has been awhile since anybody has posted.  FYI I have been compiling and transcribing Bill's Solos and arrangements.  I am also making accompanying tracks.  I plan on doing this as a research project for my masters degree. I currently have about 15 tracks finished or  close to finished.  If this sounds interesting to you I would love to talk about it.

Dave Cannon
Olney Maryland
ttf_djdekok

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Quote from: Dave Cannon on Jul 26, 2017, 09:16PMHey Bill Pearce fans. I know it has been awhile since anybody has posted.  FYI I have been compiling and transcribing Bill's Solos and arrangements.  I am also making accompanying tracks.  I plan on doing this as a research project for my masters degree. I currently have about 15 tracks finished or  close to finished.  If this sounds interesting to you I would love to talk about it.

Dave Cannon
Olney Maryland

Great. It's about time someone did scholarly work on him and his legacy.  Of course, you'd need to record them using an Olds Opera with a Bach 12C mouthpiece  Image
I was able to get copies of some of the old books from a former teacher and used them successfully for church gigs.
ttf_Bellend

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Pretty sure it was a Bach 12 ?? Just goes to show there is no such thing as normal. Conventional wisdom would tell you that his set up wouldn't work yet he made one of the sweetest sounds ever. Used to have a cassette tape of him warming up and nooding around...... It was like Bill Watrous on steroids!!!!! I'll have to try and dig it out😀

BellEnd
ttf_OldBrass

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_OldBrass »

I believe that you can still purchase CD's of Bill Pearce at: Bill Pearce Nightsounds on the internet. I purchased some a few years ago.
ttf_ChadA

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: Dave Cannon on Jul 26, 2017, 09:16PMHey Bill Pearce fans. I know it has been awhile since anybody has posted.  FYI I have been compiling and transcribing Bill's Solos and arrangements.  I am also making accompanying tracks.  I plan on doing this as a research project for my masters degree. I currently have about 15 tracks finished or  close to finished.  If this sounds interesting to you I would love to talk about it.

Dave Cannon
Olney Maryland

Dave,
I'd be interested.  I've been thinking of transcribing one of his pieces, but if you're planning on doing it, I won't bother.  Image Which pieces are you doing?

If you're planning on publishing them, consider publishing the original key and a lower version.  Image

Chad
ttf_Geezerhorn

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: ChadA on Aug 13, 2017, 10:17AMDave,
I'd be interested.  I've been thinking of transcribing one of his pieces, but if you're planning on doing it, I won't bother.  Image Which pieces are you doing?

If you're planning on publishing them, consider publishing the original key and a lower version.  Image

Chad

I believe the transcriptions would be the relative "easy" part of the project, with the backing tracks being problematic. Perhaps one of our talented (Andrew Meronek) Band-in-a-Box users could help with that!

...Geezer
ttf_CJ

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_CJ »

Dave Cannon
Olney Maryland

There is sheet music for some of his work.  I just took a look a look at what I have:

The Gospel Trombonist, 1965
Bill Pearce Presents Fascinating Trombone Stylings 1966
Bill Pearce Presents Fascinating Trombone Stylings Vol 2 1970
Bill Pearce Presents Concert Trombone Stylings 1967
Bill Pearce Trombone Solos, 1966
The Best of Bill Pearce, Trombones Alive! 1986

I think I got all of mine from eBay and local stores.  These are all solo trombone and piano arrangements.  Are there more?

ttf_CJ

Bill Pearce

Post by ttf_CJ »

Dave Cannon
Olney Maryland

There is sheet music for some of his work.  I just took a look a look at what I have:

The Gospel Trombonist, 1965
Bill Pearce Presents Fascinating Trombone Stylings 1966
Bill Pearce Presents Fascinating Trombone Stylings Vol 2 1970
Bill Pearce Presents Concert Trombone Stylings 1967
Bill Pearce Trombone Solos, 1966
The Best of Bill Pearce, Trombones Alive! 1986

I think I got all of mine from eBay and local stores.  These are all solo trombone and piano arrangements.  Are there more?

Return to “Trombonists”