Who is your favorite bone player?

ttf_SarahQ

Post by ttf_SarahQ »

I have to say you guys are right about Steve Davis I studied with him in college and needless to say listening to that everyday really made me basically "move into" the practice rooms to try and figure out how he does it. Great guy too, very supportive.
ttf_Jeffo

Post by ttf_Jeffo »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Thunderchops:
Oh, and Jeff Oien.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hmm. A nobody. You must be seeing into the future.    Image

I like Urbie Green but don't have any recordings of him. Could anybody recommend one CD of his or one that he plays on that would be a good representation?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bill Pearce

Listening to some of his music now.  Incredible soaring smoothness.  Like he was one with the instrument.

I am not worthy.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
I like Urbie Green but don't have any recordings of him. Could anybody recommend one CD of his or one that he plays on that would be a good representation? [/QB]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]"Let's Face The Music"
A lesson in Trombone playing..............  Image
ttf_bgibson

Post by ttf_bgibson »

There are so many great players that I find it almost impossible to pick a favorite.
I would like to mention someone as IMHO was the epitome of a freelance trombonist who was able to fit in to any musical situation.
Unfortunatly he is no longer with us and is on very few recordings.
His name:
Charles W. Sharman III

WEG
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My favourite tenor trombone player is, without a doubt, Fred Wesley. Yeah, he's not J.J., but Fred rocks the house man. That wanky in your face tone blows me away every time I hear something fresh from him.
Being a bass trombonist however, I would have to put Fred Wesley beside George Roberts for my favourite trombonist. I havn't had a chance to hear any of Ben van Dijk's solo stuff yet so my vote might change, but George has it right now.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Kai winding is my favourite, I've been listening to his CD, "The Trombone Sound" (Him and three other  trombonists, Dick Katz, Paul Chambers and Osie ohnson) for about 2 weeks solid now! Closely followed by JJ and Frank Rosolino. I'm also a fan of myself, because I really play what I wan't to hear and what I feel!  Image

I've not been playing the 'bone for long, or listening out for particular 'bonists but their may be someone else I will like in the future, this thread certainly does have a lot of starting points!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

J J Johnson, Frank Rossolino and Ray Anderson, also but not a trombonist John Coltrane. Love the tenor range, it has to be the most expressive of all ranges.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

my 4 favorites are:
James Miller
Jeff Reynolds
Alain Trudel
Christian Lindbergh
ttf_robinjessome

Post by ttf_robinjessome »

I'm totally digging Gary Valente right now....

.....GARY!!!

Robin
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Yankee bone boys, I have lots of favourite American players.
Any of you have any favourite Euro players????

Check out,
Mark Nightingale
Roy Williams
Bart Van Lier
Albert Manglesdorf
Bert Boeren
Nils Wogram
Nils Landgren

There´s a few for starters..........  Image  
Bean..........  Image
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

It would have to be Roy Williams. His rather Teagardenish style is not to my personal taste, but what a beautiful player. And a very nice, unassuming guy too!
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Roy Williams is mine and I think probably the best mainstream jazz player in the world. He gets voted as such in the Euro press on a regular basis. Roy like Teagarden, Christine? - I don't think so although he does use an up-close-to-the-mike technique per big T! Stylistically he plays better connecting lines in a Dixieland ensemble than Jack ever did. He has enough technique to play any bebop lines and has done so, but thankfully mainly chooses not to! Althought there is a bit of Brookmeyer in there resulting from his band within a band (Alex Welsh) quartet sessions with John Barnes on baritone sax (Doing the Mulligan bit). Also he does play a great vintage jazz style which you can hear on the recordings he made with the Hot Five recreations during those Armstrong centenary concerts and also with the Swedish Jazz Kings in very recent years.  

I used to like Johnny Picard and Roy Crimmins but I have not heard anything about them recently - I did hear John with Charlie Watts band (I used to jam with Charlie myself before he was a Stone) and I think Roy moved to Israel.

Don Lusher and Mourice Pratt for big bands.

From the past, George Chisholm of course but he passed away a few years back.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Absolutely  Mr. Trombone himself:
NILS LANDGREN

o.k. JJ is also fantastic.
Fred Wesley
ttf_bgibson

Post by ttf_bgibson »

Well, if we are talking about trombonists in Europe the following should also be mentioned: (this is in addition to the excellent European trombonists that have already been named)
1. Don Lusher
2. Frode Thigaennes (sp?)
3. Erling Kroner
4. Jens Wendelboe

WEG
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah.  Willie Dennis. "All about Ronnie" has been  out on CD for quite a while now.  Maybe it's not the world's greatest jazz group of all time, but I have listened to that record many times to hear Willie stretch out a bit.  Love it.  Funny, I've played some Willie to a a few other trombonists and always get mixed reactions.

I remember when I was a kid I heard Willie Dennis a few times on WNEW in NY, and his sound electrified me even then.

To me, these two (Jimmy Knepper and Willie Dennis) have extremely original, personal voices.

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Erling Kroner:
Ah - if I had been asked this in 1964 I would have said: Jimmy Knepper. Asked that same question here in 2003, I have to say: Jimmy Knepper. It's the sound, the creativity, bending with the open plunger, playing Bird-licks like they were born on his trombone. Listening to Jimmy playing Bach's cello suites - Man, sounded like Jimmy Knepper on cello on trombone (articulation, vibrato). Generally Jim's playing with Mingus probably the ONLY trombone player to not only play jazz but BE a jazz musician on a level with an Eric Dolphy, a Paul Bley, Booker Little, Lee Konitz, Pepper Adams - you get my drift? If you are not familiar with his playing - do yourself a favor, eh?
Want a dose of REALLY original tromboneing? (And I'm talking from the fifties on) Like nobody elses playing? Not necessarily the highest batting awerage, but WHEN he succeded the most incredible things came outa his horn, technically, musically. Very few things out, died in mid-sixties in a car-crash (very 'jazzy' way to go like so many other tragedies in the jazz life), Buddy Rich's & Gary McFarland's favorite trombone player - discovered by whom? Mingus, of course around 1953. Name is: Willie Dennis.
erling
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

jason said:
Yeah. Willie Dennis. "All about Ronnie" has been out on CD for quite a while now. Maybe it's not the world's greatest jazz group of all time, but I have listened to that record many times to hear Willie stretch out a bit. Love it. Funny, I've played some Willie to a a few other trombonists and always get mixed reactions.
I remember when I was a kid I heard Willie Dennis a few times on WNEW in NY, and his sound electrified me even then.
To me, these two (Jimmy Knepper and Willie Dennis) have extremely original, personal voices
- - - -
Amen to that
erling
ttf_ThunderChops

Post by ttf_ThunderChops »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by SteveDavis:
Bill Pearce

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Umm....where did you find his recordings?  I went to www.trombone.org/articles/library/pearce-disc.asp and http://www.nightsoundsradio.org/ but came up pretty much empty with finding his early stuff.  Any help is appreciated.

Dave
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For jazz, my favorites are (in rough chronological order):

"Kid" Ory
Jimmy Harrison
J.C. Higgonbotham
"Tricky Sam" Nanton
"Trummy" Young
Dickie Wells
"Butter" Jackson
Al Grey
Bennie Green
Urbie Green
Frank Demond
Lucien Barbarin
Wycliffe Gordon

and to avoid an even longer list for classical bones, let it suffice to say that it starts with Christian Lindbergh
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Dig Robin Eubanks, folks.  He's added an octave and a half to the bottom of jazz trombone playing, and his improvisation is sick!  As a buddy of mine says, he is dealing with some different stuff.  Interesting tunes he writes, too.

Also kills on classical  Image  

Ultimately, though...JJ is your answer.  It doesn't matter what the question is.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

*sigh* I have not heard nearly enough trombonists yet to be able to answer this question yet.  But so far, the ones that strike me the most would be the givens, Christian Lindberg and JJ.  I'll get back to this question some time in the near future.   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Im sorry to have to say this but for me, well the person that i reale admire would have to be Glen Miller. I know it sounds sad sometimes but the guy was for me brill and if i was able to play anything like him, it would be amazing
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah i got all his solo albums.........  Image    Image    Image
ttf_jon_

Post by ttf_jon_ »

I was just given a cd of "Palantion" featuring glenn  ferris as lead trombone. My favourite trombonist is now glenn ferris. Ive been listening to his song "Glenn's Walk" on repeat since 5pm yesterday, its now 12pm!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

These are my favorite kind of topics because I get to tell the Trombone world of the arguably the best trombonist in the world. My favorite player is none other than Principal Trombone of the New York Philharmonic Joe Alessi. Say what you want but his combination of sound, technique, and musicality are still unmatched in the trombone world.
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

I refrained from adding to this topic but............
Urbie Green......just the best
Jimmy Knepper...........NO ONE plays the way he does ( did ).......
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I would have to say Dave Steinmeyer.  He was our guest soloist at our lab band concert on the 27th and I had a chance to talk to him.  Not only does he have incredible high chops, but he just an all around nice guy.  He's very humble about his playing, loves to joke around, and isn't hesitant to help someone out.  I guess I tend to look past how good they play and look more at what they do for others.  But that's just me.   Image
ttf_lagii

Post by ttf_lagii »

Heard of Roy Weigand? Very creative player. Plays an old Conn 6-H.
Has a son who is a monster on trumpet.
ttf_Bruce Solomon

Post by ttf_Bruce Solomon »

My favs are my teacher Glenn Dodson. Also Nitzan Haroz now 1st in Phila Orch.
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

Bruce Solomon said :  
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]My favs are my teacher Glenn Dodson.   [/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bruce, Just played a rehearsal w/ Glenn last week. A Big band in NJ..........hadn't seen him in about 5 years............not only a great player but fun to have in the section..........
ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe

Post by ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe »

I'd have to say Ian McDougall.  Great player, lead trombone for the Boss Brass (Canada) for a long time.  He's been playing for something like 50 years.  He has the nicest sound I've ever heard come from a trombone, and a flawless legato.  Great improviser, too: he never loses sight of a melodic line and his phrasing is incredible.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Personally, I've been a J.J. nut since I bought my first LP reissue in the mid-70s - "First Place"...over the years, I've been highly influenced by a number of great players:

Slide Hampton
Curtis Fuller
Albert Mangelsdorff
Jimmy Knepper
Chris Seiter
Conrad Herwig
etc., etc., etc.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just been listening to the Jazz Hearts CD 'the way it feels'.  Annie Whitehead plays a solo number on it, 'See you Dudu'.  

She also plays some beautiful solos on the other tracks.  I love her sound, and I get to see her live sometimes as she does gigs up here from time to time.  

I guess she's not known well in the US, but if you see her name on a recording, buy it.

Paul
ttf_BoneyW

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Classical: Jörgen van Rijen

Jazz: Nils Landgren ! ! !

Ensemble: Triton quartet

Orchestral sections: Concertgebouw, Philadelphia
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My favorite player is James Pankow from the rock band Chicago. He's one of the only rock and roll t-bone player around. I saw him in concert and he's quite good.

Another good player that I saw in Reno is Robin Eubanks. He's young, but he's inspirational to listen to.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

rosolino's slurs
watrous' sound
slide's .547 double Bb
jj's licks
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wycliffe Gordon. Seen him many times in both small groups as a leader, and with Wynton Marsalis. My old band instructor used to always tell me Wynton was the master of the plunger, but at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Wycliffe easily blew him away (the crowd went nuts)! He truly has a unique style.

Honorable Mention: Curtis Fuller, for both his playing and his impressive writing (Arabia Nights, anyone?).
ttf_dcornutt

Post by ttf_dcornutt »

All of them.
I like them all.   Image  
Everyone has something unique to say.
Don
ttf_robinjessome

Post by ttf_robinjessome »

Ray Anderson
Roswell Rudd
been digging Christian Muthspiel a lot lately....

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For sound, articulation (any idiom), expression, as an ensemble musician, a soloist always:
Jimmy Knepper, Jim Knepper & James Knepper  Image  
AND (random order)
Dickie Wells, Lawrence Brown, Eddie Bert, Willie Dennis, Vic Dickenson, Roswell Rudd, Claude Jones, Jack Teagarden (oh my!), Calle Lindgren, Eje Thelin, Åke Persson, Joe Nanton, Quentin 'Butter' Jackson
erling  Image
ttf_StanBann

Post by ttf_StanBann »

My earliest trombone influences were JJ, Urbie, Frank Rosolino, and Carl Fontana.  All marvelous players.

Since then I've admired and poorly emulated guys like Bill Watrous, Phil Wilson, Dave Steinmeyer, Rick Lillard, Michael Davis, Eddie Bert, Conrad Herwig, Paul McKee, John Fedchock; stellar players all.  I'm always listening to and learning from new players just coming on the scene (and those nameless great ones who've opted to simply play for the love of the music and not pursue it as a career).

I also greatly admired Will Bradley's lyrical playing.  Some of his solos are more melodic than pieces I've spent hours trying to compose.  His sound and lyricism was well ahead of his time.

To capture a snapshot at this very moment I'd have to say Steinmeyer, Herwig, and a young guy here in Minneapolis by the name of Mike Nelson (the creative energy behind the Hornheads) as guys that are at the forefront of my radar screen.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Most of mine are already listed, but I only saw one mention of Bill Harris. When I started out as a teen-ager in 1950, I liked New Orleans player Jack Delaney, and Jack Teagarden. and george brunis. Now I have to say Frank Rosolino and Carl Fontana.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sorry for leaving Bill Harris out of my (incomplete) list. He was one of the all time greatest players and influences (as could be heard in the playing of Åke Persson, Willie Dennis and a million others).
Bil Harris, Bill Harris, Bill Harris.
So there!!!!
erling
ttf_Jeffo

Post by ttf_Jeffo »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by havardsvendsen:
Orchestral sections: Concertgebouw, Philadelphia
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]It seems that the Philadelphia section hasn't been getting their due admiration because the orchestra hasn't  done much recording the last few years. The recordings from the early 90s with Muti sound fantastic. I see they have a new conductor. Hopefully they can do more recording soon. Does anybody have an inside scoop on this?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone mention Joe Dallas?
ttf_Dino

Post by ttf_Dino »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Jeff Oien:
It seems that the Philadelphia section hasn't been getting their due admiration because the orchestra hasn't  done much recording the last few years. The recordings from the early 90s with Muti sound fantastic. I see they have a new conductor. Hopefully they can do more recording soon. Does anybody have an inside scoop on this?
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I totally agree with you Jeff.
Even from the 80s they were fantastic with Dodson on 1st, Alessi on 2nd and Vernon on bass. Sample their Scheherazade or Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet with Muti. What a sound!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Whaddabout Trummy Young??? Jeezz!
erling
ttf_Weston Sprott

Post by ttf_Weston Sprott »

Nitzan Haroz is now principal and Matt Vaughn is assistant principal in Philadelphia. They both sound absolutely fantastic. While the orchestra hasn't done a ton or recording recently, they have still done some stuff. You should check out the orchestra's Shostakovich 11 and Shostakovich Jazz Suite with Sawallisch. These are absolutely unbelievable trombone recordings. Doesn't get much better than that. Also, they just released a recorded set of all 4 Schumann symphonies a few months ago. I believe Nitzan is playing principal on 1, 2 and 4 and Matt played principal on Rhenish. These are great also. You might also want to check out the Dvorak 8 and 9 and Ein Heldenleben of Philly from the late 90s with Sawallisch. I think this is some of if not THE best orchestral trombone playing happening on the planet right now.

Weston
ttf_Jeffo

Post by ttf_Jeffo »

Thanks for the more recent recordings. I almost forgot Matt Vaughn posts here occasionally.

BTW here is 3/4 of the Philadelphia section:
http://www.unttrombones.com/photos/philly.shtml
ttf_Dino

Post by ttf_Dino »

Speaking about Shostakovich, check out his "The Dance Album" with Chailly and Philadephia Orch. Bollinger (I assume) does some really amazing bass bone stuff in The Bolt Suite.

Return to “Trombonists”