Who is your favorite bone player?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Mine's got to be Curtis Fuller because he just plays so nicely and i really dig it. J.J Johnson has to be a close 2nd because his sound is great! Who is your favorite bone player?
ttf_Chang

Post by ttf_Chang »

JJ and Kai, I love em, and Conrad Herwig a close second and I'd say Urbie Green a 3rd.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have quite a few:
Blair Bollinger
Doug Yeo
Charlie Vernon
Randy Hawes
Curtis Fuller
Steve Turre
Frank Rosolino
J.J. Johnson
Dave Steinmeyer
Bill Watrous
Carl Fontana
Urbie Green
Delafeo(sp?)Marsalis
Al Grey
Joe Alessi
Christian Lindberg
Ben Van Dijk
Arnold Jacobs-I know he aint a trombone player but hey the man was just wow
Arthur Pryor-nuff said
Fred Wesley
Phil Teele
Jiggs Whitham
Slide Hampton
Donald Knaub
hmm i think thats it....

-Mike  Image  Image  
<><
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Urbie Green
Frank Rosolino
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

ME!!!

I'm actually quite serious, and an explaniantion could probably go along with it if provoked, but I'll save that for a reward of any curious people  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Frank B
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

1) Frank Rosolino
2) Carl Fontana
3) JJ
4) Ian McDougall

Honourable mention
- John Allred
- Slide Hampton
- Bob Brookmeyer
- Rob McConnell
- Andy Martin
- Bob McChesney
-
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Jeff Oien:
Frank B
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I'm so touched. must hold back the tears of joy. *goes off to practice my miss america wave*
ttf_Thedrakester

Post by ttf_Thedrakester »

My all time favorite (not in any particular order)

Curtis Fuller
Eddie Bert
JJ Johnson
Slide Hampton
Conrad Herwig
Quentin "Butter" Jackson
Frank Mahla

Honorable Mention
Carl Fontana
Urbie Green
Bill Watrous
ttf_Jeff Albert

Post by ttf_Jeff Albert »

Its hard to name a favorite, but I have been listening to a lot of Steve Davis lately.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well my favorite is none other than the best trombone player in the world with 6 thats right 6 best selling cd's and giving 110% every night he plays and is just one great guy with a nice tone and a fat sound who loves to play his trombone at all times of day is the great and best trombone player in the world JOE ALESSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Image    Image  

And I will Be curious to why Frank B loves FrankB for old times sake
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If I have to single one out it gotta be
Jimmy Knepper on all counts
but the list has to include the following whose inspiration has been just as indispensable:
Bill Harris
Dicky Wells
Jack Teagarden
Willie Dennis
Lawrence Brown
Vic Dickenson
Edward 'Kid' Ory
and then a bunch that I really respect and enjoy listening to and who, each in his own right, also has helped inpire me:
Åke Persson
Roy Williams
Hal Crook
Roswell Rudd
Curtis Fuller
Carl Fontana
Frank Rosolino
Ray Anderson
Ole 'Fessor' Lindgren
Grachan Moncur III
- after this I better go practice!!
later
erling
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Oops!!!
Mebbe I lefte out many worthy of mentioning, but one cat I left out inexcusably:
Grand old master Eddie Bert
 - sorry Eddie
erling
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Oh my!
Say: Eje Thelin! - repeat after me: Eje Thelin!!! If J.J. was THE trombonist to capture the essence of bebop, which he arguably was, then the ONLY trombonist to capture the essence of the (then) new jazz concepts of Miles and Trane was Eje Thelin. He was incredible, had a great band and some of his LPs from then have been rereleased like the one from the German Jazz festival, 1964, I believe. To hear it is to believe it!
erling
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A few of my favorites are:
Bob Brookmeyer
Jimmy Knepper
Conrad Herwig
Steve Davis
and of course,
J.J. Johnson
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I don't play jazz very often at all, but still I have to say Roswell Rudd influenced me when I was able to hear him play live.  Quite amazing.
ttf_R10

Post by ttf_R10 »

James Morrison
ttf_robinjessome

Post by ttf_robinjessome »

I'm on a big free kick right now ....

thus:  
Julian Priester
Roswell Rudd
Albert Manglesdorff
Ray Anderson
Gary Valente
Christian Muthspiel
Steve Swell
Josh Roseman
Craig Harris...
but also JJ, Rosolino, Fontana, Fuller, et al.....

Robin
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

Why are there so few classical players names mentioned?
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

No-one's heard of any, Zemmie.   Image  

Miff Mole.   Image  A brilliant player and marvellously inventive. Back in the days when jazz itself was being invented and there was no-one to emulate, so everything he did was original. He could give ANY of those guys mentioned above a good run for their money, and probably beat them too. If he wasn't dead, that is....
ttf_Thedrakester

Zemry,

I beleive Tromboneman27 was asking who our favorite jazz trombone players were as he lists Curtis and JJ as his favorites. But that doesn't mean we couldn't mention our favorite classical players.

Erling,

I dig your list. Any chance you have run into a Swedish bone/piano player in your travels named Ulf Johansen? I played with him many years ago at the University of Pittsburgh. He played trombone and piano very well and was a really nice cat too.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jeff, isn't Steve Davis something?  I love guys that can be really melodic no matter how harmonically advanced the music gets.  Beautiful sound as well.  Saw him live with Jackie Mclean a few years ago and was blown away.  

I've been listening to a lot of John Fedchock so I'll throw his name out there.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

My list of favourite trombone players runs to about 50 and I have posted them quite a few times over the last couple of years. But if you want the top of list, for me it has got to be Roy Williams. A shiver runs down my back every time I hear the sound of his horn and those beautiful lines. I have been trying to play in a similar style since I decided to revisit the trombone at an age when I should have known better. I think I'm going to run out of years but I'm getting there!

Quite close behind the King of Luton (RHM is the Queen of course!) are Bill Allred, Dan Barrett, George Masso and Bob Havens. All still playing up a storm the last time I looked.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Drake Smith wrote:
Erling,
I dig your list. Any chance you have run into a Swedish bone/piano player in your travels named Ulf Johansen? I played with him many years ago at the University of Pittsburgh. He played trombone and piano very well and was a really nice cat too.
----
Drake!
Sure thing, I ran into him (last time) about year and a half ago in Sweden at the Kristianstad-Åhus Jazz Festival and got his latest cd - playing trombone & piano as always. Indeed a very nice cat and a fine player - - - talking about swedish trombone players (Åke Persson & Eje Thelin have alredy been mentioned) there's also the great Bertil Strandberg and one of the best kept secrets of modern tromboneing Calle Lindberg, a master player/improviser that I have had the pleasure of having in my band (Beijbom Kroner Big Band) for the past 10 years, splitting the lead and the solo parts with me. He gave up as a full time professional many years ago to concentrate on his law firm - but when he unpacks that horn --- ! run for shelter. Well, got off the subject of Ulf and a little carried away about Calle Lindberg, sorry
Nice talkin' to you, Drake
erling
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Thedrakester:
Zemry,

I beleive Tromboneman27 was asking who our favorite jazz trombone players were as he lists Curtis and JJ as his favorites. But that doesn't mean we couldn't mention our favorite classical players.

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]That may very well have been his idea. I was taking his topic literally....."Who is your favorite bone player."

I assumed, logically so from the topic heading, that he was asking for favorite trombonists of every genre. From his answer, I assumed that his two favorite trombonists were jazz players.

Moreover, in his first message, he states yet again, "Who is your favorite bone player." He never stated that his list was restricted to jazz players.

There is nothing in his heading or initial message that indicates the list is restricted to jazz players.

But......I could be wrong.
ttf_BFW

Post by ttf_BFW »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by zemry:
Why are there so few classical players names mentioned?
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]My question, too; I assumed as you did that the question is not limited to jazz players.  There were a number of classical players listed by some.

My list of favorites would have to include all the professional trombone players I've heard, which, sadly, isn't all that many.
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by RedHotMama:
No-one's heard of any, Zemmie.    Image  

Miff Mole.    Image   A brilliant player and marvellously inventive. Back in the days when jazz itself was being invented and there was no-one to emulate, so everything he did was original. He could give ANY of those guys mentioned above a good run for their money, and probably beat them too. If he wasn't dead, that is....
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I have GOT to purchase a Miff Mole cd. I've never, to my knowledge, heard him play.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My favorite trombone player is Buddy Morrow.  His sound and concept in the high register is incredible.  And until recent dental work, he was still playing great at age 80!

In 1936, he took Jack Teagarden's place on Paul Whiteman's band.  He went on to an great career recording with many.

Anyone else know about how wonderful Mr. Morrow is?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wycliffe Gordon.  Real gutbucket sound, or can  be lyrical, and also deft with mutes.  Always a presence in a jazz ensemble, without dominating. I would love to be able to play like that
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Let's see...jazz:

Carl Fontana (favorite)
Frankie Rosolino
Wycliffe Gordon
Andy Martin
Ron Wilkins

Legit:

Joe Alessi
Christian Lindberg
Charlie Vernon
John Kitzman
*Wes Woodrow (my teacher)
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by zemry:
I have GOT to purchase a Miff Mole cd. I've never, to my knowledge, heard him play.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]In the meantime, Zemmie, you  could check him out here....

www.redhotjazz.com/mmm.html
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In Jazz: Robin Eubanks (I love is work with the Dave Holland Quintet) and of course JJ Johnson.

In Classical: Alain Trudel(I have his records and I saw him twice live. You have to see him live to understand how good this guy is...) You gotta like Lindberg and Alessi too...
ttf_Thedrakester

Zemry -  Tromboneman27 is my son so I do know what he meant but I don't mind knowing folks favorite classical players, I listen to a lot of orchestral and classical music but not much in terms of concertos and the like and thus as far as trombone is concerned I listen exclusively to jazz bone players. I hope though to expand my horizon a bit here with other folks suggestions.

Erling - Thanks for the reply. Don't know if Ulf would remember me but if you ever see him please give him my best and ask him about the U. of Pittsburgh Jazz Band trip to Trinidad and Tobago. Also in the band was pianist Geri Allen who has made a nice name for herself in the jazz world and Marshall McDonald whos playing alto in the Basie band.

Also Eddie Bert sends his regards. I sent you an email with details.
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Thedrakester:
Zemry -  Tromboneman27 is my son so I do know what he meant but I don't mind knowing folks favorite classical players, I listen to a lot of orchestral and classical music but not much in terms of concertos and the like and thus as far as trombone is concerned I listen exclusively to jazz bone players. I hope though to expand my horizon a bit here with other folks suggestions.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I had forgotten that he is your son. He's the composer, isn't he?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone else know about how wonderful Mr. Morrow is?

Yup! Got hip to Buddy Morrow thru an interview in Down Beat with Jimmy Knepper (mid- to late 60's?). Went on a search and slowly but surely got hold of some old LP's from like the 50's. Night Train - the 'original' (oldest) version - is incredible and the Billie Holiday song My Man don't love me, treats me awful' mean My! .. the emotional impact of Buddy's sound. It almost ripps your heart out. Kjeld Ipsen, great Danish bone-man and friend, who lived many years in NY, played with Buddy and has told me many beautiful stories about him. I wonder if it's possible to get hold of anything of Buddy's old things, I mean him never been considered neither a jazz player nor a legit player but 'just' a commercial player, playing for dances and what not. But if you can get hold of some examples, don't expect 'great' music, but GREAT tromboneing.
Getting carried away again, just HAD to make it clear that some of us out there know about Buddy.
later
erling
ttf_BoneyW

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

Urbie Green

Jörgen van Rijen/ Ivan Meijlemans [principals Royal Concertgebouworchestra], these guys are fenomenal!
ttf_SandyMBarrows

Post by ttf_SandyMBarrows »

Abbie Conant is not only a phenomenal trombonist, but a fabulous musician as well. Then there's Urbie Green....
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Joe Alessi

He is playing trombone directly true.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

J.J., Lindberg, Fuller,

Ahhh, now thats what i'm talking bout
ttf_Turkbone

Post by ttf_Turkbone »

For me Lindberg very best musician and he use the trombone for musics.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Met Buddy Morrow in New Orleans about 20 years ago. Played as good then as he did in the 50's.
There's an old story he relates to when he was on the road. One day the band opened up and when Buddy was to play "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You," the opening song, he realized that his horn was not on the stand. So, as the story was told to me, he quickly grabbed the bass trombone player's horn. They said he played it well enough. Has anyone ever heard this before?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'd have to say Christian Lindberg. I am really into Alessi's playing more, but I have never gotten a chance to meet the guy. I met Lindberg a while ago, and not only was he a really cool guy, but his sense of clothing style was...unique...something only a trombone player would have the guts to perform in.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Two Words, Joe Alessi.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

When i began to play trombone i always listened to  Christian Lindberg. He's always the one, everybody knows this, but then i wanna change my direction and listen to the others too. First of all it was the  CHICAGO  and  James Pankow of course and suddenly i was in a jazzy mood. I knew  J.J. Johnson but since i knew  Frank Rosolino, i know that he's just what i wanna hear about bone! He's the soul of the bone for me. And (for today) i can say that he's my favorite player.

Tomorrow never knows...   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Ah - if I had been asked this in 1964 I would have said: Jimmy Knepper. Asked that same question here in 2003, I have to say: Jimmy Knepper. It's the sound, the creativity, bending with the open plunger, playing Bird-licks like they were born on his trombone. Listening to Jimmy playing Bach's cello suites - Man, sounded like Jimmy Knepper on cello on trombone (articulation, vibrato). Generally Jim's playing with Mingus probably the ONLY trombone player to not only play jazz but BE a jazz musician on a level with an Eric Dolphy, a Paul Bley, Booker Little, Lee Konitz, Pepper Adams - you get my drift? If you are not familiar with his playing - do yourself a favor, eh?
Want a dose of REALLY original tromboneing? (And I'm talking from the fifties on) Like nobody elses playing? Not necessarily the highest batting awerage, but WHEN he succeded the most incredible things came outa his horn, technically, musically. Very few things out, died in mid-sixties in a car-crash (very 'jazzy' way to go like so many other tragedies in the jazz life), Buddy Rich's & Gary McFarland's favorite trombone player - discovered by whom? Mingus, of course around 1953. Name is: Willie Dennis.
erling
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For Me;
Classical: Alain Trudel,Christian lindberg, Joseph Alessi

Popular Music:
Steve Turre, met him personally, great human being and one of the most complete players in concept and tone.
Juan Pablo Torres,me him personally;great composer,trombonist and arranger
Jiggs Whigan
Frank rosolino
Bill Reichenbach, my favorite Bass Trombonist
JJ Johnson
Curtis Fuller
Papo Vazquez
Luis Bonilla, should be recognized more along with JP Torres as one of the premier popular trombone players living today.
Barry Rogers
Al Grey

Most influential for me, eventhough not a great intrumentalist;
Willie Colon and his contribution in showcasing the trombone in popular Latin American Music for the last 35 years. Great creative musician
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My favs --Glenn Dodson-my teacher -Nitzan Haroz- principal of Phila Orch--Blair Bollinger--Bass trombone Phila Orch
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My top three in order:

1) Joseph Alessi
2) Joe Alessi
3) Joey Alessi

If Joseph Alessi played Bass Trombone he'd be my favorite Bass Trombonist as well.  But since he doesn't, I'm between Yeo, Hawes, and Bollinger.  I can't decide.

Oh, and Jeff Oien.

Dave
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hmmm technically: Urbie green
Musicaly:  Glenn Ferris
ttf_alby_t-bone

Post by ttf_alby_t-bone »

First place  ex aequo:
 Urbie Green & Bill Watrous