Donald Knaub video

ttf_slide advantage

Donald Knaub video

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

ttf_Terraplane8Bob

Donald Knaub video

Post by ttf_Terraplane8Bob »

I entered The Eastman School of Music in 1956 as a euphonium player, and so was assigned Don Knaub as my professor. It was a perfect match for this dumb little kid from the coal mines of Pennsylvania.  What a patient and caring man he was ! We stayed in touch through the years as my career progressed and I later had the privilege of re-mastering several of his LPs into a CD called "Retread" that shows his mastery of the bass trombone and serves as a guide to all of us who might aspire to match his achievements.
He was a professor, a mentor and a friend and is greatly missed.  RIP, Don.
ttf_slide advantage

Donald Knaub video

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Quote from: Terraplane8Bob on Nov 13, 2017, 07:40AMI entered The Eastman School of Music in 1956 as a euphonium player, and so was assigned Don Knaub as my professor. It was a perfect match for this dumb little kid from the coal mines of Pennsylvania.  What a patient and caring man he was ! We stayed in touch through the years as my career progressed and I later had the privilege of re-mastering several of his LPs into a CD called "Retread" that shows his mastery of the bass trombone and serves as a guide to all of us who might aspire to match his achievements.
He was a professor, a mentor and a friend and is greatly missed.  RIP, Don.

Nice tribute! Image
ttf_savio

Donald Knaub video

Post by ttf_savio »

I have a vinyl LP of him, long time since I listen it. Good there is a reproduction of it on iTunes.
Isnt it a 70h or 72h he have in one of the pictures in the video?

Leif
ttf_Terraplane8Bob

Donald Knaub video

Leif : Yes, he played a 72H and that was probably the instrument you saw in the photos. When I first met him he had a Reynolds [model ?] but soon afterwards acquired the 72H.  That Reynolds was the horn I mentioned in a previous post.  When I heard him play the first note on that horn, I was "hooked" on bass trombone for life !  I believe that all of his vinyl recordings were done using the 72H, and later, when he became a Yamaha clinician he switched to Yamaha.  He produced a video for Yamaha in 1985 called "Steps to Excellence" that is worth viewing and may still be available.  I was very fortunate to have crossed paths with him...........   Cheers !!   Bob
ttf_Terraplane8Bob

Donald Knaub video

Leif : Yes, he played a 72H and that was probably the instrument you saw in the photos. When I first met him he had a Reynolds [model ?] but soon afterwards acquired the 72H.  That Reynolds was the horn I mentioned in a previous post.  When I heard him play the first note on that horn, I was "hooked" on bass trombone for life !  I believe that all of his vinyl recordings were done using the 72H, and later, when he became a Yamaha clinician he switched to Yamaha.  He produced a video for Yamaha in 1985 called "Steps to Excellence" that is worth viewing and may still be available.  I was very fortunate to have crossed paths with him...........   Cheers !!   Bob

Return to “Trombonists”