How is Chip Hoehler?

ttf_hyperbolica

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

It was mentioned in another thread that Chip was in the hospital. I was wondering if there is any update on his condition. Chip is more than just a trombone company rep, he's a great player and a good guy. I'm just concerned that the last news we heard was not good. Anyone know anything?

ttf_blast

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_blast »

Jonathan will update us when there is news. I suspect that he is still in a coma. He is in a hospital in Germany as far as I know.

Chris Stearn
ttf_hyperbolica

How is Chip Hoehler?

Thanks for that, Chris. Best wishes for Chip.
ttf_bbocaner

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

oh my gosh! super nice guy. best wishes to him.
ttf_Sliphorn

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I've heard nothing of this and suspect I'm not alone.  Would someone kindly either elaborate or put me in the direction of where I can learn more? 

Sad to hear this and crossing my fingers he'll be alright.
ttf_Posaunus

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Aug 15, 2017, 03:46PMI've heard nothing of this and suspect I'm not alone.  Would someone kindly either elaborate or put me in the direction of where I can learn more? 

Sad to hear this and crossing my fingers he'll be alright.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,101339.msg1204983.html#msg1204983
ttf_chipolah

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_chipolah »

To all the kind friends of Chip Hoehler's on his beloved Trombone Forum asking about him:

I am Anne, his wife. Jonathan Hodgetts of Wessex Tubas, will not be postings updates on Chip's
condition. This is because he has no idea whether or not Chip is dead or alive. Despite being the
person who invited a 76 year old man, only weeks
after heart surgery, on an arduous 7 country road trip around Europe, totally against my wishes,
despite being with Chip when he had his catastrophic brain bleed, and despite living 10 minutes
from our home, Jonathan has never called or contacted me other than with the news that my husband
was in a coma. If I sound upset, sorry. I am. Chip was the only family I had. My life and my health are in tatters,
and his lovely children and grandchildren and step-sister are devastated.

Chip is still in a coma. It will be 5 weeks yesterday. He is getting excellent care in a hospital in Germany. The
staff are just wonderful and I could not wish for better.  However, he is in Germany, I am in U.K., and his children
and all other relatives are in the USA. It makes seeing him very difficult. We thankfully have an amazing German
friend who, by some miracle lives near Dulmen, so can visit him and update us on his progress, and communicate
with the doctors and nurses in German, which we cannot. Chip is making tiny progress. He can sometimes follow
commands, like: Wiggle your foot, or move your thumb. He has also opened his eyes a few times, though not sure
if he can focus. Having no prior experience of brain injury, this is a steep learning curve for us. Doctors cannot predict
if or when someone will come out of a coma, and how much brain injury there will be. So it is a waiting game. My
ultimate hope is to get him back to the UK, where I can visit him. We can all see he responds best to familiar voices
and believe he would make more progress if we could be with him, urging him on to recovery. Being so far away is sad
frustrating and stressful. Other than that, Chip seems calm and peaceful and hopefully, not in any pain.

Thank you SO much all his caring friends on the Trombone Forum. It is heartwarming to read your kind comments
about Chip.

Best regards,

Anne

ttf_hyperbolica

How is Chip Hoehler?

Anne,
Thanks for the update. I hope Chip is able to travel back to UK to be with you. I think you're right that having familiar faces and voices around will speed his recovery. Maybe play some of his recorded music for him. All my best.
ttf_Posaunus

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Anne,

Thank you for this news, however upsetting it is.  Many of us consider ourselves friends of Chip - even though we have never met him in person. 

Our prayers are being sent his way. 
ttf_Jonathantuba

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Jonathantuba »

I have not updated more on Chip's situation because there is no real change, but have been in direct contact with his German friend that lives near, so am aware of the situation. I have not contacted Anne direct further as I know she is very distressed, and don't want to worry, particularly when she seems to blame me for Chip's situation. However he was only travelling with me because he wanted to do so - in fact he was having the time of his life that trip and was busy discussing ideas for future trips and trombone developments. I am very upset and sad about his current situation, but the doctors told me it could have happened anytime, anywhere due to his medical condition. I pray he does recover!
ttf_Jonathantuba

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Jonathantuba »

Chip Hoehler is now back in the UK, although still in hospital. I visited him today. He is slightly better in that he can open his eyes and is we believe conscious of people around him and can listen to music. However he has very little movement, although the medical staff seem hopeful he will get better over time. Let’s pray that is so!
ttf_Steerpike

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_Steerpike »

Good to hear
ttf_slide advantage

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Quote from: Jonathantuba on Nov 19, 2017, 01:48PMChip Hoehler is now back in the UK, although still in hospital. I visited him today. He is slightly better in that he can open his eyes and is we believe conscious of people around him and can listen to music. However he has very little movement, although the medical staff seem hopeful he will get better over time. Let’s pray that is so!

Please tell him hello from me.
ttf_slide advantage

How is Chip Hoehler?

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Quote from: Jonathantuba on Nov 19, 2017, 01:48PMChip Hoehler is now back in the UK, although still in hospital. I visited him today. He is slightly better in that he can open his eyes and is we believe conscious of people around him and can listen to music. However he has very little movement, although the medical staff seem hopeful he will get better over time. Let’s pray that is so!

Please tell him hello from me.

Return to “Trombonists”