I never heard of this guy. Wonderful plying Beautiful sound & Control
ttf_slide advantage

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Yes, a very nice player!

ttf_Geezerhorn

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

How about that! I always have to wonder how a guy works up to that level. It can't be from reading music! He must spend hours and hours just noodling around and identifying what works well and what doesn't. A lot of guys can play like that in their head, but not when the horn goes up to the face. He has the connection firmly in place.

...Geezer
ttf_Bellend

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_Bellend »

That link took me to a Thad Jones Mel Lewis concert  Image

Have some things of Mr Costanzo anyway, another great player sadly no longer with us.

Here's one of my favourites, Somewhere Over The Rainbow   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvF7SFlvRcI

Enjoy

BellEnd
ttf_greenbean

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Yesterday at 09:07 PMhttps://youtu.be/5JyuHGUdtro?t=1608

I never heard of this guy. Wonderful plying Beautiful sound & Control

Beautiful playing... by Butter Jackson!...
ttf_griffinben

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_griffinben »

Sonny is something of a local legend around Connecticut, a fantastic player and a real character.    I heard him around when I was growing up but never got to really meet or play with him.  Everyone that met him has a story about him.

One of my favorites: He played one of those old vintage Conn "Trombone" mouthpieces that was all banged up and a bent end shank.  Don Hayward, and maybe a few other people, found one in good condition, had it gold plated and gave it to him as a gift.  He couldn't play it!  Went back to the old beat up one. 

Sonny has a great big band album.  Jeff Holmes, a great composer, arranger, trumpet and piano player that heads the jazz department at UMass Amherst, did the arrangements.  Jeff still pulls them out from time to time in his big band; Emily has 4 high E's in it!

One of the great characters and musicians that seem to be all to rare these days...
ttf_wgwbassbone

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I played in Sonny's big band for about 6 years. Unfortunately he passed away early from cancer around 1993.
ttf_savio

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Aug 23, 2017, 06:28PMI played in Sonny's big band for about 6 years. Unfortunately he passed away early from cancer around 1993.

Wish I could just play some few minutes in that band.....

Leif

ttf_savio

Sonny Costanzo

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Aug 23, 2017, 06:28PMI played in Sonny's big band for about 6 years. Unfortunately he passed away early from cancer around 1993.

Wish I could just play some few minutes in that band.....

Leif

Return to “Trombonists”