Bill Tole. R.I.P

ttf_vegasbound

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

I have just read a post on Facebook that Bill Tole  trombone legend and leader of the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra passed away this morning, he passed quietly and surrounded by his family!
ttf_Geezerhorn

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

ttf_Sliphorn

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Bill Tole.  Fantastic person and an obviously great player.  Every time I got to play with him I really enjoyed it.  Sounded fantastic right until the end.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Bill has been a contributor to this forum and I had some contact with him when he was trying to locate one of his musician friends in Australia.

I liked his playing a lot, especially the vibrato, and his band The Bill Tole Orchestra was a really swinging outfit. I have their CD "On The Move" in my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUX0qbDgqyw

Here is Bill as a featured trombone player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIu7D25ZNOU

Vale Bill. You will be missed.

ttf_vegasbound

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Obituary & Memorial Service Info:

William Stuart Tole Jr., 79, was granted his angel wings on May 20, 2017. His final days were spent surrounded by family and friends that loved, cherished and adored him. He passed away peacefully at home at 6:20am with his wife and 3 daughters by his side.

Music was his first love and he spent his entire life honouring it. After attending 4 years at Duquesne University School of Music, he toured with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. Bill later joined the Air Force dance band Airmen of Note, a continuation of the Army Air Force "Glenn Miller Orchestra". Following his service with the military he quickly became a much sought after musician. Over the years, he had the privilege of working with many famous band leaders and singers. Not only was he a well-respected trombonist, he was also a well-known and respected band leader for both the Bill Tole Orchestra and the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra.
 Bill is survived by his wife and best friend of 27 years Diane Stoddard-Tole, his daughters Daryl Tole-Lillibridge, Susan Tole-Sturgill and Courtney Tole, his 5 grandchildren Ryland, Lucy, Grayson, Emily and Grace, his siblings Nancy Knorr and Gary Tole and his nieces and nephews Kim, Heather, Mike, Ron and Bryan as well as his extended family which included his sister in law Michele Stoddard, brother and sister in law Mark and Lora Stoddard, father in law Frank Stoddard and nephew Ricky.

A memorial service for Bill will be held on Monday, May 22, 2017 at Church of Latter Day Saints - 4845 Woodhaven Drive, Taylorsville, UT 84123. Feel free to come early to pay your respects to Bill from 9:30am-10:15am. Service will begin at 10:30am. In addition to the memorial service, we will also be honouring Bill with a Celebration of Life on July 29, 2017 at the Musician’s Union in Los Angeles.

Please donate to the Music Fund of Los Angeles, in lieu of flowers:

Music Fund of Los Angeles
 In Honour of Bill Tole
 817 Vine Street
 Hollywood, CA 90038

ttf_Geezerhorn

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: vegasbound on Today at 03:42 AMObituary & Memorial Service Info:

William Stuart Tole Jr., 79, was granted his angel wings on May 20, 2017. His final days were spent surrounded by family and friends that loved, cherished and adored him. He passed away peacefully at home at 6:20am with his wife and 3 daughters by his side.

Music was his first love and he spent his entire life honouring it. After attending 4 years at Duquesne University School of Music, he toured with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. Bill later joined the Air Force dance band Airmen of Note, a continuation of the Army Air Force "Glenn Miller Orchestra". Following his service with the military he quickly became a much sought after musician. Over the years, he had the privilege of working with many famous band leaders and singers. Not only was he a well-respected trombonist, he was also a well-known and respected band leader for both the Bill Tole Orchestra and the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra.
 Bill is survived by his wife and best friend of 27 years Diane Stoddard-Tole, his daughters Daryl Tole-Lillibridge, Susan Tole-Sturgill and Courtney Tole, his 5 grandchildren Ryland, Lucy, Grayson, Emily and Grace, his siblings Nancy Knorr and Gary Tole and his nieces and nephews Kim, Heather, Mike, Ron and Bryan as well as his extended family which included his sister in law Michele Stoddard, brother and sister in law Mark and Lora Stoddard, father in law Frank Stoddard and nephew Ricky.

A memorial service for Bill will be held on Monday, May 22, 2017 at Church of Latter Day Saints - 4845 Woodhaven Drive, Taylorsville, UT 84123. Feel free to come early to pay your respects to Bill from 9:30am-10:15am. Service will begin at 10:30am. In addition to the memorial service, we will also be honouring Bill with a Celebration of Life on July 29, 2017 at the Musician’s Union in Los Angeles.

Please donate to the Music Fund of Los Angeles, in lieu of flowers:

Music Fund of Los Angeles
 In Honour of Bill Tole
 817 Vine Street
 Hollywood, CA 90038

I did not know that. But when I watched the video I posted, I noticed his exceptional slide technique looked very familiar and similar to other trombone players who have studied there, so it made me wonder. It's a legacy style I am also trying to learn.

...Geezer
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Graham -

Can you identify any of the arrangers on that album, On the Move?  Fifteen selections and not a single arranging credit given!  I should have asked Tole while I had the chance!

- Douglas
ttf_Graham Martin

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: Arranger-Transcriber on May 21, 2017, 09:11PMGraham -

Can you identify any of the arrangers on that album, On the Move?  Fifteen selections and not a single arranging credit given!  I should have asked Tole while I had the chance!

- Douglas

No, sorry, I can't. There is not even a list of the full band personnel. Just a note of who wrote each tune and who is soloing. However, it is an excellent big band swing recording. Image
ttf_Bob Riddle

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

I'm almost 100% sure that Bill was part of The first trombone Quartet formed at Duquesne University where he studied under Matty Shiner. He has a younger brother Gary who also went to Duquesne in the 1970's.I was fortunate enough to have worked with him several times. A true gentleman
and great musician.

Bob Riddle
ttf_anonymous

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wow. I did not know this. Sad news for sure.  He's the most famous guy I've played with. He sat in with Bones Southwest a few times since I've been there. My favorite memory was when he brought in some of his own charts (Airmen of Note-type ballads) and played the featured solo with us.  Super nice guy. RIP Bill.

Dale
ttf_Doug Elliott

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Bill Tole was Dave Steinmeyer's predecessor on lead trombone in the Airmen of Note.

When he was leading the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra I played a couple of gigs with him.  Bill's sister, Nancy Knorr, is leader of the Pied Pipers vocal group, and Bill's brother Gary is another great trombonist.  I'm not sure sure but I think he was also in the Note.

ttf_jakeway1

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

Tole Road - Tom Kubis
Them There Eyes-T Sgt.Paul Kelly
Front Page Rag-Billy May

Don't know who arranged the rest.
ttf_Bellend

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Such sad news !

Always loved listening to Mr Tole play since I first saw him playing T.D. in the movie New York New York

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULAgdTP0bE

BellEnd
ttf_anonymous

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bill Tole had a beautiful, warm sound, and lovely vibrato on ballads. A truly great trombonist, and by all accounts, a great guy. RIP Bill.
ttf_anonymous

Bill Tole. R.I.P

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bill Tole had a beautiful, warm sound, and lovely vibrato on ballads. A truly great trombonist, and by all accounts, a great guy. RIP Bill.

Return to “Trombonists”