Ray Anderson

ttf_Ellrod

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Is coming to town as part of the Vancouver Int'l Jazz Festival. He's in his Bassdrumbone group.

Not much talk about Ray these days although he once got a write-up in Time magazine back in the day. I saw him in town about 20 years ago.

ttf_kbiggs

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

One of my favorite jazz/avante gard trombonists. I've never seen him live, but I like his 4-part stuff with guitar. 
ttf_Graham Martin

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Yes, it seems I had a brief enthusiasm for his style quite a few years back and even purchased a CD of his Pocket Brass Band, which was a quartet consisting of trombone, trumpet, sousaphone and drums and recorded in 2000. The CD is still in fairly pristine condition and obviously has not had many plays. I think it may have been his version of Ellington's 'The Mooche' that I liked? I was also playing with a very good tuba/sousaphone player in those days and maybe I thought I could do something similar to Anderson's group?

I am also wondering if he was ever on this forum (or its predecessor) and that is how I got interested enough to buy the CD? Or perhaps it was the fact that he was frequently chosen in DownBeat magazine's Critics Poll as best trombonist throughout the late 1980s and early 1990s? Image

Seeing you bring up the name just sparked a bit of a memory but not too much of a one. Image  But then my memory is not that great these days. Image

ttf_Exzaclee

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I love Ray, he was a big influence on my paying when I was first learning. Great creative musician. Weird, like me.
ttf_Graham Martin

Ray Anderson

I had a check of the old TTF posts and found I was talking about his Pocket Brass Band back in 2002. In fact, I recommended to RHM that she have a listen. I think at the time she had been asked to play some New Orleans jazz in an all-girls band. Knowing how she hated the British version of N.O. Jazz, I said, "Of course, if they did not say what period of N.O. jazz it had to be, then maybe you could phone up the other girls and surprise the audience with some of the new funky sounds from the Crescent City. Something like the 'New Orleans Nightcrawlers' or 'Ray Anderson Pocket Brass Band'."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS2yItjYIZc

ttf_Joebone2.0

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Joebone2.0 »

Nice to see Mr. Anderson getting some attention - a great trombonist!      IIRC, he and George Lewis went to high school together, in Chicago...must have been some hot jazz band in those years...and Lewis and Anderson both deserve a lot more credit and visibility for their work in pushing the 'bone in new directions...
ttf_watermailonman

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

I saw him in Sweden at jazz club "Fashing" in Stockholm probably in the 90-ies. I have two albums, vinyl of course   Image I have not heard of him much since then. Iteresting style, kind of very avant-garde. Giant leaps, from low end of the instrument to the  high end (from my memory)

/Tom
ttf_Trombocholik

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Ray Anderson is a phenomenal player.
 I like his album "Old Bottles - New Wine".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVfjhua2Ko
ttf_Malec Heermans

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

Old Bottles New Wine is so good! And I really love the BASSDRUMBONE trio. Gerry Hemingway is a monster.
ttf_William Lang

Ray Anderson

Post by ttf_William Lang »

Ray Anderson and George Lewis are truly two of the greatest bone players to ever pic up the horn. i consider them massively inspirational!
ttf_Graham Martin

Ray Anderson

Quote from: Trombocholik on Yesterday at 02:40 PMRay Anderson is a phenomenal player.

The best thing about that track is his ability to create melodies and make many references to the original melody whilst putting on a display of phenomenal technique and range.

One of the comments under the video said something similar. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Ray Anderson

Quote from: Trombocholik on Yesterday at 02:40 PMRay Anderson is a phenomenal player.

The best thing about that track is his ability to create melodies and make many references to the original melody whilst putting on a display of phenomenal technique and range.

One of the comments under the video said something similar. Image

Return to “Trombonists”