William Henry “Bill” Hughes or the Count Basie Orchestra has died.

ttf_conductorjonz

Post by ttf_conductorjonz »

Bill Hughes bass trombonist of the Basie Band for 57 years has passed away. He also led the orchestra for a while until retiring in 2010.

He was a true gentleman and unsung hero of the trombone and bass trombone. And anchor for the band as important as Freddie Green in my opinion. He had a legendary knowledge of the band and it’s personnel.

I had several occasions to take Bill to the USAF Musuem in Dayton when they would roll into Gilly’s. He was a helluva a guy.

RIP.

Greg
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

I got to meet Bill Hughes a few times. We both lived in West Brighton on Staten Island. Jimmy Knepper lived a few minutes away. The last time I saw Bill he came down to the Cargo Cafe to listen to a big band I played in. He brought his wife and a few others along to listen. That must have been 6-7 years ago. A real gentleman and fine musician.         
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

I got to meet Bill Hughes a few times. We both lived in West Brighton on Staten Island. Jimmy Knepper lived a few minutes away. The last time I saw Bill he came down to the Cargo Cafe to listen to a big band I played in. He brought his wife and a few others along to listen. That must have been 6-7 years ago. A real gentleman and fine musician.         

Return to “Trombonists”