Checking a transcription

ttf_anonymous

Checking a transcription

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone out there have a transcription of Trummy Young's solo on "Margie"? I am in the process of writing my masters thesis, and I want to be sure that my transcription is accurate.

Thanks!
ttf_Piano man

Checking a transcription

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: Babcockbone on Apr 04, 2017, 01:54PMDoes anyone out there have a transcription of Trummy Young's solo on "Margie"? I am in the process of writing my masters thesis, and I want to be sure that my transcription is accurate.

Thanks!

PM it to me, along with a clip of the performance, and I'll check it for you.
ttf_Graham Martin

Checking a transcription

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

If you can borrow a copy of "jazz styles & analysis: TROMBONE" by David Baker, it is on page 143.

David Baker said of it:

"Points of interest:
1. Extremely lyrical and even more so because of the beautiful singing sound.
2. Melody beautifully paraphrased.
3. Note turns, trills, etc.
4. Beautiful command of the entire instrument.
5. Both breaks are stunning, i.e., (A)  11 - 14; (b) 9 to the end.

This solo is classic and one of the most imitated solos in the history of jazz trombone." Image

I couldn't agree more! Trummy has always been one of my favourite jazz trombonists and I was lucky enough to see him when Louis toured the UK at the end of the 1950s.

There has been previous discussion about this solo on this forum, which you might find with the Search Engine. That last rip up to the top #F is amazing because Trummy managed to get it to sound so much like a series of triplets.
ttf_Graham Martin

Checking a transcription

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

If you can borrow a copy of "jazz styles & analysis: TROMBONE" by David Baker, it is on page 143.

David Baker said of it:

"Points of interest:
1. Extremely lyrical and even more so because of the beautiful singing sound.
2. Melody beautifully paraphrased.
3. Note turns, trills, etc.
4. Beautiful command of the entire instrument.
5. Both breaks are stunning, i.e., (A)  11 - 14; (b) 9 to the end.

This solo is classic and one of the most imitated solos in the history of jazz trombone." Image

I couldn't agree more! Trummy has always been one of my favourite jazz trombonists and I was lucky enough to see him when Louis toured the UK at the end of the 1950s.

There has been previous discussion about this solo on this forum, which you might find with the Search Engine. That last rip up to the top #F is amazing because Trummy managed to get it to sound so much like a series of triplets.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”