Stan Kenton Legacy Orchestra Tour Dates

ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

I know we have many Kenton fans on the forum, so you may be interested to know that the Stan Kenton Legacy Orchestra, under the direction of former Kenton lead trumpeter Mike Vax, will be on tour in Florida soon.  Here's the itinerary as of today:

3/30 - University of North Florida, Jacksonville, clinic and concert
3/31 - Viero High School, Melbourne, clinic and concert
4/1 - Noon concert at Warburton Musical Instrument Factory, Mims
        Evening concert at outdoor arts festival, Lakeland
4/2 - Seminole High School, Sanford, clinic and concert
4/3 - Reilly Arts Center, Ocala, evening concert
4/4 - Harrison School for the Arts, Lakeland, clinic and concert
4/5 - Spruce Creek High School, Port Orange, clinic and concert
4/6 - Daytime - tourist stuff at Epcot and Disney.  10 PM concert at Disney Springs.

BTW, the trombone section for this band is Scott Whitfield, Dale Devoe, Dave Keim, Kenny Shroyer and Rich Bullock.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Hi Mr. Woolworth. I wish I could catch the show, but classes have me tied down. My theory professor Greg McLean (http://www.gregmclean.net) somehow cleared his schedule to come on tour and play trumpet with the group. I'm envious and super proud for/of him. Should be a great show. I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and catch the concert at the Warburton Musical Instrument Factory.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Wow, you're playing in Melbourne, my old stomping grounds! Heard the Kenton Orchestra twice back in the 70's, had to drive to Orlando and Disney World at the time. Both shows would show up in my Lifelong Highlights reel. (along with seeing King Crimson live... That'd be a spectacular double-bill!  Image)

Any upcoming dates in Georgia/Atlanta?
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Why don't y'all come about 400 miles north to SC and do a show!
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Having written for this band, I keep in touch with Mike Vax, and he tells me that one of the biggest headaches with this band is booking enough dates to warrant a two-week tour.  That's TWO WEEKS.  The Kenton band used to tour 50 weeks out of the year with only a rare night off. 

Now, when Mike is trying to line up bookings at schools, the high school band directors frequently have never even heard of Stan Kenton (who was, at one time, the #1 box office draw in the world, and basically invented modern jazz education).  It should be noted that the band's appearances include a FREE clinic for the host school's band, including sectional rehearsals.  Band directors don't seem to be interested in this, either. 

Mike really struggles to keep this band together and on the road.  I hope some of you who are music educators will contact him and let him know that you're interested in hosting the band in the future.  About half the band members are Kenton alums, and they won't be around much longer.  That's sobering but it's a fact.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I caught the band when they came through Oklahoma.  (Last year or the year before?  I don't recall now.)

Great show.  Mix of old and new stuff.  Well worth the time to see.  It's disappointing that the band has trouble with bookings.  Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I caught the band when they came through Oklahoma.  (Last year or the year before?  I don't recall now.)

Great show.  Mix of old and new stuff.  Well worth the time to see.  It's disappointing that the band has trouble with bookings.  Image

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”