Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

ttf_Bellend

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Here's by a country mile my favourite cut by the late great Rob McConnell with the mighty  Boss Brass playing Jerome Kern's 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'

Beautiful arrangement and sublime solo, it don't get much better than this............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LK60fnfAvE

ENJOY

BellEnd

ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Nice track.  Make that Rod, though.
ttf_Ellrod

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: Arranger-Transcriber on Mar 20, 2017, 09:32PMNice track.  Make that Rod, though.

Rob

-signed

Rod

sometimes called Ron

ttf_bonenick

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Great version, great playing. Thanks BE.
ttf_Bellend

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Bellend »

ttf_Geezerhorn

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It's probably just me. But do parts of this arrangement seem a bit forced?

...Geezer
ttf_salsabone

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Geezer,
First of all I have always loved all of your posts and offerings on this forum.  That being said I am totally perplexed about the "parts on this recordings being FORCED".  For the time of this band's recordings, even though they could be quite powerful, they had a very laid back vibe to me.  Please enlighten me(and maybe the rest of us!) about why you feel this way about this recording in particular.  Thanks,
Kevin
ttf_Geezerhorn

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: salsabone on Mar 22, 2017, 08:43PMGeezer,
First of all I have always loved all of your posts and offerings on this forum.  That being said I am totally perplexed about the "parts on this recordings being FORCED".  For the time of this band's recordings, even though they could be quite powerful, they had a very laid back vibe to me.  Please enlighten me(and maybe the rest of us!) about why you feel this way about this recording in particular.  Thanks,
Kevin

Hi,

Thanks.

As I stated, maybe it was me.  Image

When I listened to it, the melody seemed disconnected from the accompaniment in several parts - notably the beginning. It gave me the impression that the melody was in one time signature while the accompaniment was in another.  I'm listening to it again, wondering how I would tap out the intro if I was the soloist.

But after the intro, it seemed connected; very complex, but connected. I guess I'm just not used to this traditional song in what I consider a somewhat non-traditional beat, tempo and style for that song. They certainly seem quite comfortable performing it, though! They did it again at the end. But this time I was ready for them and felt a lot more comfortable with it.

Love the 'bone!

Okay. It's me.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: salsabone on Mar 22, 2017, 08:43PMGeezer,
Kevin

Hi,

Thanks.

As I stated, maybe it was me.  Image

When I listened to it, the melody seemed disconnected from the accompaniment in several parts - notably the beginning. It gave me the impression that the melody was in one time signature while the accompaniment was in another.  I'm listening to it again, wondering how I would tap out the intro if I was the soloist.

But after the intro, it seemed connected; very complex, but connected. I guess I'm just not used to this traditional song in what I consider a somewhat non-traditional beat, tempo and style for that song. They certainly seem quite comfortable performing it, though! They did it again at the end. But this time I was ready for them and felt a lot more comfortable with it.

Love the 'bone!

Okay. It's me.  Image

...Geezer

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”